Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Restoring kodi backup to new pc failed, still have db files what can I salvage?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone, I got a new pc and thought I'd be safe with restoring my EaseUs backup to the appdata folder but no such luck. I only had a few errors restoring the backup concerning artist slideshow addon. But when I launch kodi I just get the default look and nothing of my library is there. I still have all the database files though, can I restore my kodi with these files? Unfortunately I didn't use the backup addon cause that didn't work for me last time, and I sadly did not export my libraries to xml files. All my drive paths are the same for my content. Thanks in advance.
Yes, I think it is possible to salvage your data, at least some of it.

1. Are the video files still in the same location, or were they moved to the new PC also and have new paths?
2. Are you running the Portable version of Kodi or did you allow the default install locations?
3. Can you actually check where your EaseUs program put the Kodi Roaming folder. Depending on answer to your previous question, it should be here... C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming and it should be named Kodi.

For future reference Import-export_library (wiki) would have preserved your video and music library using the Separate Files method.
Off-topic... I tried the free version of EaseUs backup tool recently on a new PC, but both the file and the image backup went sour, as after double-checking, the tool found errors in its own backup files/images. So no more EaseUs for me.
The video files are in the exact same paths as in the other pc, I moved all my hard drives to this new pc and have the same volume letters and paths.
I just installed the regular windows version of kodi as before.
The roaming folder is in the correct location. Though my user has a different name than before. Could this be the issue? Changing the username in a config file somewhere?

I only used EaseUS this time cause it was the only option that worked during a format of my C drive on my old computer unfortunately. Should have known better and backed up in every way possible.

I'd be happy to just have some way to get the watched status back of my tv shows, that's the most important thing.

Thanks for any further help in advance.

edit: I tried to boot my old pc but for some reason windows can't be started from my ssd anymore after switching the other hard discs even though the drive is found. So I might try a reinstall of windows with keeping the files, hopefully I can copy the userdata folder to a usb stick then (I don't think exporting will work if kodi won't find the media since those drives were moved?)
(2018-12-28, 00:41)elra Wrote: [ -> ]The video files are in the exact same paths as in the other pc, I moved all my hard drives to this new pc and have the same volume letters and paths.
Sounds OK.

(2018-12-28, 00:41)elra Wrote: [ -> ]I just installed the regular windows version of kodi as before.
Same version? What version- I am assuming v17.6?

(2018-12-28, 00:41)elra Wrote: [ -> ]The roaming folder is in the correct location.
So the Kodi folder is in the correct location? I assume that is what you meant. And did you look in Kodi folder? Were there other folders and files in there?

We still need to figure out if what you have there is the backup roaming folder or did EaseUs just skip the backup and what you have there is just a fresh install of the Roaming/Kodi folder that is created when you start Kodi for the first time. Kodi will use whatever is there, so to me it sounds like you don't have your backup copy there, it is a fresh install.

Does you /Roaming/Kodi folder look like the image below? Now browse through it and look at what is in there. Check your add-ons folder and see if the add-ons you had installed previously are listed there. Check your databases. The MyVideos107.db should be larger than 400kb approx. MyMusic should be larger than 200kb.
Off-topic... I use ViceVersaPro... https://www.tgrmn.com/ who also created the Bulk Rename Utility
Karellen, apparently EaseUS didn't put back anything! Thanks for your help, I was able to open the backup file like it was a zip and just copy the folders that did get backed up to their original location and I have my databases back and viewed status. Happy holidays!
Great to hear!! Enjoy Smile

Also don't forget "For future reference" in my first post.

Thread marked solved.