Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: About the latest version of kodi v18 LAN with SMB / NFS play 4k UHD original file pro
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I am a user from China. I don't know English. After a few days of use, I feel that kodi is very easy to use. I also found some problems. These questions are the conclusions I got after 3 days of testing. I hope your products can help. For more users, the following content is completed with google translation, I hope you can understand.

Recently bought a Sony Z9F, according to the guidelines of https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=336272#, the installation package of kodi was installed normally, and kodi played the 4k UHD original file on the mobile hard disk, I tested The Mission Impossible Fallout 2018 2160p UHD Blu-ray HEVC TrueHD 7.1 Atmos-Thor@HDSky, the test file has 94G. Methods as below:

1. Connect the mobile hard disk to the USB3.0 port of the TV. The direct playback is smooth and there is no problem.
2, the mobile hard disk is connected to the router, through the wifi 5G wireless network, using FTP mode playback is also very smooth, without any problems.
3, the mobile hard disk is connected to the router, through the wifi 5G wireless network, using SMB mode, NFS mode to test separately, play video card, about every 10-30 seconds will load the cache, Caton circle. The CPU and memory usage of the router is also very low during playback. I also enabled caching according to https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache, but the aging time is extended by 1-3 times. Will be stuck.

With the same SMB mode, NFS mode, playing with apple tv 4K is very smooth, without any problems. There is no problem with playing on a computer. It can be confirmed that there is a bug in kodi's playback of the SMB protocol and the NFS protocol. Please check it out.

Thank you
Good analysis. Yes SMB could use a lot of love on Android. If you can just use the alternatives you mentioned if they fix the issue.
Quote:With the same SMB mode, NFS mode, playing with apple tv 4K is very smooth, without any problems. There is no problem with playing on a computer. It can be confirmed that there is a bug in kodi's playback of the SMB protocol and the NFS protocol. Please check it out.

Thank you

You are aware that ALL Smart TV's only have 100Mbit Ethernet ?
WiFi has so many variables it should not be relied upon for demanding home networking performance.

You need Gigabit Ethernet for high bitrate 4K UHD video playback reliability over a home Network.
That is why the Apple TV 4K has no problems.

Such home network high bitrate 4K video playback is not a Kodi problem. It a Smart TV network connectivity and data transfer limit problem.
Sir, I know this limitation. So when I was testing LAN playback, I tested it with 5G wifi. Sony supports 802.11ac, and it can be seen on the router that z9f is connected at a rate of 866.7 Mbps. In point 2, I have explained that playing in FTP mode is very smooth.
Ah I see WiFi.
Well if FTP works with WiFi sounds like a winning combo.
(2018-12-28, 13:34)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Ah I see WiFi.
Well if FTP works with WiFi sounds like a winning combo.
 Really using FTP, saved my problems regarding file ''stucks'' in high bitrate on NFS, had to learn how to use FTP, but in the end everything went well, thanks Rofl
It seems that no one is interested in solving the problem completely. I have feedback in the Chinese community before the feedback here. Some netizens told me that the official has already been feedback, but no one wants to solve it.
(2018-12-28, 08:29)c_zs Wrote: [ -> ]2, the mobile hard disk is connected to the router, through the wifi 5G wireless network, using FTP mode playback is also very smooth, without any problems.
3, the mobile hard disk is connected to the router, through the wifi 5G wireless network, using SMB mode, NFS mode 
@c_zs @luispexi , would you point me to the pages or instructions for newbie to setup FTP and NFS over wifi?

NFS over LAN between TV and NAS is working properly when adding video source in Kodi Android TV app. However, when I switch to TV Wifi, the kodi app can not find NFS (The folder privileges and IP in NAS setup has been changed accordingly).
(2019-12-02, 19:41)BCYHInfo Wrote: [ -> ]the kodi app can not find NFS
You need to add it manually now as discovering it is broken.
I've never had this issue over SMB with 4K files on my Nvidia Shield via ethernet UNTIL the 18.4 and 18.5 updates.  there are many threads about it and I've yet to read anything that fixes the problem.  there is definitely something wrong that changed in Kodi

also, 4K vids still work fine in SPMC and MRMC on Nvidia Shield.
(2019-12-02, 19:48)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-12-02, 19:41)BCYHInfo Wrote: [ -> ]the kodi app can not find NFS
You need to add it manually now as discovering it is broken. 
Thx, NFS over WiFi works after manually setting the server address and path.

For those Asustor NAS newbie like me, remember to set the client IP address in "NFS privileges".