Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Emerson, Lake & Palmer oddities
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm very meticulous about getting my tags right on my music, but nevertheless, Kodi makes a mess of some of my music, and I'm trying to fix it.

For example, I have several Emerson, Lake & Palmer artist entries, two of which contain solo albums from Keith Emerson and Greg Lake.  They're listed as Emerson, Lake & Palmer in the artist list, but when opening them, they show their correct solo name for the artist.  I've checked and re-checked their tags, and can find no reference anywhere to Emerson, Lake & Palmer.  Even their MB tags show their correct solo names.  They're also in completely separate folders on disc.  So where is it pulling "Emerson, Lake & Palmer" from?

I'm using Leia RC4.
Folder location will not matter, but I need to see the tags for myself to be able to comment further. Can you either upload a music file somewhere and PM me a link, provide a screen shot showing the extended tag list (alt+T) in Mp3tag, or some other way of showing all the tag values.

Edit: The other thing that could help me to help you is to upload your MyMusic72.db file somewhere and PM me a link.

I suspect it is related to collaboration albums (more than one album artist) and lack of ALBUMARTISTS tags to resolve the individual artists and match the multiple album artist MBID values, but for now that is just my best guess.
Here is a screenshot of one of the tags, but if you'd like additional info (such as a copy of my db), let me know.

Thanks!

Edit:  Here's another screenshot of the full album highlighted before using Alt+T.
That tagging looks absolutely fine. I had best look at your data, upload your MyMusic72.db file somewhere and PM me a link.
My guess is in the past somehow EL&P got associated with the kieth emerson MBID in the database, and once that happens the
only way to fix (in my experience) is to remove all songs referencing EL&P (and probably Kieth Emerson) then update / clean the library (to get rid of the bad name string / MBID association), then restore the songs and rescan.

scott s.
(2019-01-01, 00:42)scott967 Wrote: [ -> ]My guess is in the past somehow EL&P got associated with the kieth emerson MBID in the database, and once that happens the
only way to fix (in my experience) is to remove all songs referencing EL&P (and probably Kieth Emerson) then update / clean the library (to get rid of the bad name string / MBID association), then restore the songs and rescan.

scott s.
I actually just wiped my database the other day and did a rescan, and the problem is still there (though my ELP listings shrunk from 5 to 3, the two extra being for Greg Lake and Keith Emerson solo albums).  Could the MBID codes themselves be the problem?

In any case, as soon as I get a few minutes, I'll get that db to Dave to check out.
The data tells all...... Smile
Well at least I can point you at the files that are causing at least some of the problems.

The albums "Lōc-ed After Dark" and "Live in Cuba (bonus disc: Sessions@AOL Music)" have a mbid of "usicbrainz album id" and display artist "usicbrainz" indicating that some music files have some tags scrambled.  Kodi relates these albums to the music files from 41 different folders that are from a number of different artists, some of the songs have track mbids but others don't.  I will PM you a list. Kodi will have been matching on the corrupted mbid data (if it thinks it has it then it uses that not artist and album title), hence all those music files related to the wrong album.

What did you use to tag these files? It looks like whatever it was the header does not contain a TXXX:MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ID tag in a format that taglib can read. It could be that the header is compressed and taglib couldn't uncompress it (something we have fixed in the very latest nightly) but I suspect it is just corrupt headers. If you can't see the problem using  Picard or Mp3Tag then post me a  link to  sample files from
".../Cardigans/[2003-02-17] For What It's Worth"
and
"....../Alter Bridge/[2004] One Day Remains"
could be useful to explore what the problem is more deeply. BTW the tagging tools display a descriptive name for each tag e.g. Picard lables the ID3v2 tag TXXX:MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ID (in mp3 files) as MusicBrainz Release Id.

But the solution for you will be to clear these tags, even if you can't see the broken ones, and retag. Then drop the source, clear the music library and start again.

As for Emerson, Lake & Palmer specifically, Kodi has a mixed matching of artist name and artist mbid. Scanning the tags has produced 5 entries with name "Emerson, Lake & Palmer" and 1 "Emerson Lake & Palmer" (note mssing comma), ideally there should only be one!
  • The "Emerson Lake & Palmer" (no comma) comes from a performer tag on tracks of the "From the Beginning" album, if that tag had a comma Kodi would match it up. You only see this extra artist entry in Kodi of you look at the Roles node for "ensembles", so it is a small issue but nice to be accurate.
  • The first "Emerson, Lake & Palmer" has the correct mbid.
  • The next has the mbid of Keith Emerson (e1350b4d-286e-40f1-894f-8c88a03351fe), seems to have been created when track 9 of "Brain Salad Surgery" was scanned and I would look at the Musicbrainz Artist ID tag for that track, it should be that of ELP (ad996aef-cc1c-42ac-af5c-619c370f4b8a)
  • The remaining extra enties have the mbid from "Greg Lake", "Carl Palmer" and "Aaron Coupland" respectively. These were created when music files in folders .../[1977] Works, Volume 1 (disc 1)/ and (disc2) were scanned because of  the tagging. You have tagged this album as 4da3c7a9-1c05-4705-bc86-c369e07cced5, but I suspect it is actually one of the other 16 releases in this release group that you have. The album artist for all tracks is  "Emerson, Lake & Palmer" Musicbrainz Album Artist ID = ad996aef-cc1c-42ac-af5c-619c370f4b8a, but the (song) artist varies
    • Disc 1 tracks 2 to 6 is "Greg Lake"  Musicbrainz Artist ID = 6e2fdea5-8960-46ec-8a05-41b7eec3b2a9,
    • Disc 2 tracks 1 to 6 is "Carl Palmer" Musicbrainz Artist ID = 3bd93b58-d3da-4c3c-a92f-823d8539942b
    • Disc 2 tracks 7 to 9 is "Emerson, Lake & Palmer" Musicbrainz Artist ID = ad996aef-cc1c-42ac-af5c-619c370f4b8a
    Did you edit the artist tag to have ELP as artist for all the songs but not adjust the mbid tags to match? Either manually correct artist and Musicbrainz Artist ID tags to be matching pairs or use Picard to retag.
There are other ELP related odd entries. The first 6 tracks of album Emerson, Lake & Powel has "Emerson,lake" as the composer. That does not seem to come from Musicbrainz, but if tagged with COMPOSER = "Emerson, Lake & Palmer" then Kodi could match this correctly. Again not significant, but worth being accurate.

Your tagging seems not to be as meticulous as you hoped, but I hope easily fixed.
All my tagging has been done via Picard or foobar2000 (using MusicBrainz search if possible).  I've noticed corrupted tags before, and I think it goes back to when I was using a music player (can't remember which one) that was updating tags without my knowledge, and was choking on tags it didn't recognize.

I appreciate your time and effort to investigate this.  I will fix all the problems you listed (as well as any others I see).  I think I'll just re-tag them all with MB (foobar2000 or Picard), so it shouldn't be too difficult.  I will post back when done (probably this weekend).

Thanks again.
Frustrating to have some other music player corrupt your tagging, but nice to have a potential explanation for "usicbrainz" etc. in mbids.

I noticed from the screenshots that you are using ID3 v2.4 format, that would be what I recommend in retagging if any of them are v2.3, and remember to have Picard remove the old tags to clear all the corruption. If you do manually edit any files tagged with musicbrainz ids, then be sure that the ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST tags have matching MUSICBRAINZ ARTIST ID and MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ARTIST ID values, or remove all the mbid tags.

All part of my mission to improve music file tag quality one user at a time Smile
I've run into problems where some "ancillary" tags like performer, ensemble, composer, etc, ended up different from the main artist or album artist tags.  The tagging software I use don't always show these "lesser" tags (you need to open a dialog like "extended tags") so it is easy to miss them and get conflicting info in the Kodi library.

I get a somewhat similar problem with "sortname".  I would rather set it in my nfo files than rely on the scraped value but my tagging software doesn't default to showing sortnames.

scott s.
Thanks to your help and guidance, my music database is looking much better!  I'm still seeing the occasional album that has some bad tags (one album split up into two or three, because of bad tags), but my artist list is finally clean!  I had no idea that my tags had become so corrupted, and especially how that could affect seemingly unrelated entries.  Now that I know what to look for, I'm doing a lot of re-tagging, falling in love with Picard again (and yes, clearing old tags and using ID3 V2.4).

Thanks again for your help!
If you use MB Picard then just set the option to "clear tags" when re-tagging them. If you get any problems just load the album in Picard and hit save.

Its a great way of fixing things and getting the most up-to-date tagging data from Musicbrainz. Also very good for troubleshooting strange problems like this.
(2019-01-08, 12:46)docwra Wrote: [ -> ]If you use MB Picard then just set the option to "clear tags" when re-tagging them. If you get any problems just load the album in Picard and hit save.

I figured that out early on in my tagging.  This should be written on the wiki or stickied if it isnt already.  So many peoples problems would be solved.
(2019-01-11, 20:31)helta Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-01-08, 12:46)docwra Wrote: [ -> ]If you use MB Picard then just set the option to "clear tags" when re-tagging them. If you get any problems just load the album in Picard and hit save.
 I figured that out early on in my tagging.  This should be written on the wiki or stickied if it isnt already.  So many peoples problems would be solved.  
 Yes good idea!

I've updated the wiki with a comment and screenshot about the tagging options of MusicBrainz Picard Smile

https://kodi.wiki/view/Music_tagging#MusicBrainz