Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Freezing when jumping forward/backward
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm running Kodi 17.6 on a FireTV (using the stock software built into my Insignia FireTV). I never had any 4K video before, so I downloaded some to test with to confirm it works. Initially, I found when trying to play 4K, the screen just stayed black. I checked hardware acceleration, and saw MediaCodec was selected, so I disabled that one, and then enabled Mediacodec (Surface). 4K worked perfectly after that. Also, literally everything looks far, far better. Even my 720p videos look much better. However this seems to have caused issues with jumping forward/backward in all videos (regardless of definition). When I jump back/forward, the screen will freeze for upwards of 10 seconds. It will eventually catch up with itself, and play the video, but it's quite aggravating. I also have an app called Unpause Jumpback, which automatically rewinds by 7 seconds if I pause a video for more than 15 seconds. When using the old codec, when this 7 second jump occured, the screen would change immediately, however that doesn't happen now. In fact, it doesn't change at all. This isn't the cause, and it's not related. Again, all of this happens whenever I jump, so it's not specific to the app. I enabled MediaCodec (in addition to Surface), and the issue persists. Any ideas?
Ok, so I never got a reply to this. Except, I did get a response on reddit. The random unhelpful user told me something about 4K being slow to buffer, and it's a network issue. THIS IS NOT BUFFERING. I literally said that the jumpback issues occur for all resolutions (4K, 1080, 720, even SD). Also, I can resolve the issue by switching back to the other codec. However, my videos don't look as good, and I can't play 4K. So perhaps the lack of response is due to my lack of provided logs, so I'll attach them here. I confess that I often tend to assume "this must be a known issue with a simple resolution, and they won't need logs, because they've probably heard of this before"

http://paste.kodi.tv/qakedotogu

13:08:41 - I press the left button 4 times, which should jump back 2 minutes. This works great.
13:08:56 - I press the right button 4 times, which should jump forward 2 minutes. This one works great as well. Nice and snappy.
13:09:08 - I press the left button 4 times again. This one freezes. I click to see the OSD at 13:10:59, and then click back at 13:11:02 to remove the OSD. It's important to note that at this time, I noticed that the time was increasing, however the video/audio were frozen still in the moment.
13:12:21 - I close the video, because it has finally started playing.

So I jumped back 2 minutes, and needed to wait more than 3 minutes for the jump back to complete. Now, does anybody have any ideas?
As already mentioned in other messages, there is no longer support for version 17.x

(2019-01-20, 21:02)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]Any bugs in 17.6 will not be fixed. Please upgrade to Kodi 18rc5 and play your videos once more.
Should you keep stuttering issues, please report back with a full debug log (wiki).

Maybe the problem is solved in version 18, try it.