Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: nfo support for missing tv episodes within an existing structure
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good day everyone! Newb here, to the forums at least... must say it's memorable to be seeing all the references to xbmc... my ol' xbox with the funny looking switch and leds on the front, is dark, but still graces the media rack! ;-)

With the sales on the Firesticks over the holidday, I finally decided to clean up all the media that's been everywhere on my lan, and create that master repository on the server.
99% of my work has been successful, between MovieDB and TVDB.... but I've run into one challenge when it comes to "bonus episodes" off some DVDs I scraped off my shelf over the years. The kids Looney Tunes colleciton for one... and the TVDB folks refuse to include these in any way, as they were not ever "aired"... <sigh>

Creating my own custom NFOs for them, seems the simple answer, and I think I MIGHT be up to that task... but where my reading is failing to bring my brain into focus, is whether I can just add single NFO files for each one that is missing from the TVDB, because the files are already "under" the show folder structure, or if I still need a tvshow.nfo file...

Maybe I am not explaining, here's what I have:

\TV\Looney Tunes\Volume 5\Disc 4 - The Early Daze\13 - Porky's Poppa.avi
\TV\Looney Tunes\Volume 5\Disc 4 - The Early Daze\14 - Wholly Smoke.avi
\TV\Looney Tunes\Volume 5\Disc 4 - The Early Daze\15 - What Price Porky.avi
\TV\Looney Tunes\Volume 5\Disc 4 - The Early Daze\Special Features\Bustin' Out All Over.avi
\TV\Looney Tunes\Volume 5\Disc 4 - The Early Daze\Special Features\Carnival of the Animals.avi
\TV\Looney Tunes\Volume 5\Disc 4 - The Early Daze\Special Features\Looney Christmas Tales.avi
\TV\Looney Tunes\Volume 5\Disc 4 - The Early Daze\Special Features\Unsung Maestros.avi
\TV\Looney Tunes\Volume 6\Disc 1 - Looney Tunes All-Stars\01 - Hare Trigger.avi

etc...  and I can search up and rename all of those with a batch file to include the sXXXXeXX at the start of the file, and it will parse and add them as expected...
Except the "Unsung Maestros", as it's a bonus item... "never aired"... and therefore has no season or episode listing.

so do I just need a:
\TV\Looney Tunes\Volume 5\Disc 4 - The Early Daze\Special Features\Unsung Maestros.nfo   next to it, in the same folder as the avi file, to give it the info it needs? Or do I still need a tvshow.nfo somewhere too?

Thanks in advance, and if this is cleared answered somewhere else, please feel free to redirect me... but I didn't have much luck searching that out, and the wiki didn't really cover it... spent more time on whole shows or personal home videos that were missing from your library. :-)

Andrew
(2019-01-03, 17:46)Andrew Bienhaus Wrote: [ -> ]is whether I can just add single NFO files for each one that is missing from the TVDB, because the files are already "under" the show folder structure, or if I still need a tvshow.nfo file...
If you have already scraped the show and it is in your library, you can just add the missing files without the tvshow.nfo. The tvshow.nfo is to get the show scanned into the library but, as it is already in your library, you don't need it.

(2019-01-03, 17:46)Andrew Bienhaus Wrote: [ -> ]so do I just need a:
\TV\Looney Tunes\Volume 5\Disc 4 - The Early Daze\Special Features\Unsung Maestros.nfo   next to it, in the same folder as the avi file, to give it the info it needs? Or do I still need a tvshow.nfo somewhere too?
Yes, but I would move it out of the Special Features folder and place the files with the rest of the episode files.

I was not aware that TVDB had a listing for the individual episodes (not that I looked recently).

The NFO's are quite simple. The easiest way is to export your library to Separate Files (see link in My Signature below). This will create NFO Files for evertyhing in your library. Just copy one of those files, edit it with the new information and save with the correct filename.

I assume you are aware of the Extras (wiki) addons.
thank you very much.

No, I am not familiar with the extras add on, but I just did a quick read.

My Movies are not using sub folders, the movies are just in various folders, and Kodi scrapes recursively. For Movie extras, where would I put the files? In a folder named for the movie somehow?

For TV shows, in the case of the Looney Tunes above, if I had the Extras Addon installed, and have this structure:

\TV\Looney Tunes\

would it just be:

\TV\Looney Tunes\Extras\

and then any video files with their related .nfo files, would populate as part of the Context Menu, for the Looney Tunes show inside Kodi? Or does the Addon just "open the folder" to browse anything you have put in there?

thanks!
PS: Yes, TVDB has a very thorough listing of espisodes... and even season zero s00 listings for any specials that aired, along with initial air date of everything. :-)
(2019-01-03, 23:20)Andrew Bienhaus Wrote: [ -> ]No, I am not familiar with the extras add on, but I just did a quick read.
Yes, there are two versions. The original Extras is a simple Context Menu interface that opens a new screen and lists the titles in file mode. The Special Features add-on has a few more options and uses artwork to display the items.

(2019-01-03, 23:20)Andrew Bienhaus Wrote: [ -> ]For Movie extras, where would I put the files? In a folder named for the movie somehow?
Depends on which add-on you use. I have used Extras add-on for a number of years. They are in a folder named \Hitman's Bodyguard (2017)\Extras\. Special Features is a relatively new add-on and I have not spent a lot of time with it, so don't recall how it does things. It should be similar or the same.

Neither of these will work with your movie structure. They both need Movie Folders to work.

They will work for TV Shows as you have a TV Show folder for each folder and it would be saved as \Star Trek Discovery (2017)\Extras\

(2019-01-03, 23:20)Andrew Bienhaus Wrote: [ -> ]For TV shows, in the case of the Looney Tunes above, if I had the Extras Addon installed, and have this structure:

\TV\Looney Tunes\

would it just be:

\TV\Looney Tunes\Extras\
Yes

(2019-01-03, 23:20)Andrew Bienhaus Wrote: [ -> ]and then any video files with their related .nfo files, would populate as part of the Context Menu, for the Looney Tunes show inside Kodi? Or does the Addon just "open the folder" to browse anything you have put in there?
The Extras Add-on will just open a folder. The Special Features add-on uses nfo files.

(2019-01-03, 23:44)Andrew Bienhaus Wrote: [ -> ]PS: Yes, TVDB has a very thorough listing of espisodes... and even season zero s00 listings for any specials that aired, along with initial air date of everything. :-)
I did not know that. Could you post the link please.
well, sure, it applies to all shows, but.. https://www.thetvdb.com/series/looney-tunes and then you select the season or "all seasons" on the right, and it shows them all. You can click on any, and it's member-updated.  (as an example)
Ah, ok. Sorry I was thinking of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection, which I was discussing with another member a couple of days ago, so it seemed to have led me astray.
that one is on there as well, but seems to have only one season listed...