Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can't add VLC as External player
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to get kodi to use VLC as external player as I'm used to VLC's shortcuts and having trouble using Kodi's

I've made playercorefactory.xml in /home/MYUSERNAME/.kodi/userdata/     here

and my log file here

the error is in 
Quote:03:10:10.661 T:140550559678912 NOTICE: Loading player core factory settings from special://profile/playercorefactory.xml.
03:10:10.661 T:140550559678912 WARNING: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayer(VLC): no such player: VLC
03:10:10.661 T:140550559678912 DEBUG: CPlayerCoreConfig::<ctor>: created player VLC

Can someone help me?
First, I would remove /fullscreen /close as those are arguments passed to VLC and VLC can't deal with that anyway. That's a copy and paste error from our template on our wiki which refers to MPC-HC which might probably be able to deal with it.

The lines you put into your posting can probably be ignored. Look at my log here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/gtTtMycN55/

and see, that those lines are in that log as well, but it works for me.

Unfortunately I can't see you trying to play a video in your log. If you look at my log at line 2167, that's the place where the magic starts and the external player is in use and active. I modified your playercorefactory a little bit as you also had tags included which are for Windows machines only. See that:

<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="VLC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
      <filename>/usr/bin/vlc</filename>
      <args>"{1}"</args>
      <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
    </player>
  </players>
  <rules action="prepend">
    <rule video="true" player="VLC"/>
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>

Read the lines properly and I would start using that to see if the external player is generally in use. The rules above passing any video to the external player. But not audio!!!

Ignore the following box if you only have locally stored media and are not using network shares:
Quote:Be also aware that this all might horribly fail if you are using NFS shares to your videos. Due to a bug in Ubuntu (as I use Ubuntu and not Debian in that case), it's not possible to browse nfs shares via nfs://<some_ip>/path/to/share/filname.mkv. Other distros (like Fedora for example) are able to solve that by installing additional packages (gvfs-nfs for Fedora). I'm not sure if Debian is capable of browsing NFS shares that way or if there are additional packages which might solve that problem. To solve that completely under Ubuntu, you need to make sure that those shares are mounted by the operating system and then use those mountpoints as a source in Kodi. That might also count for Debian.

SMB shares aren't affected as browsing them is easily possible.

Anyway, I didn't have had any problems using locally stored files for a test.
Sidenote:

If this all doesn't work, then be aware that you are using a patched Kodi version which is hardly supported in here. Debian is known for patching Kodi on their own. So if something like the above isn't working for you, that might also be the cause and we can't do anything about it. To solve that, consider to compile Kodi from source as you can't use the Ubuntu ppas on Debian.
another side note:

if you want to use VLC in fullscreen you have to use this playercorefactory:

<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="VLC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
      <filename>/usr/bin/vlc</filename>
      <args>--fullscreen "{1}"</args>
      <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
    </player>
  </players>
  <rules action="prepend">
    <rule video="true" player="VLC"/>
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>
thank you !!
that solved it, I didn't have any experience about writing that file so I scraped little bit from here and there from a google search.

I have another question that I think it might be impossible, Is there a way to report the playback progress from external players back to xbmc instead of just being marked watched ?
I guess not. There was an issue with Kodi 18 that it wasn't even marked as watched if an external player was in use, but I guess you won't get a resume point when using an external player. I could ask at the team and ping the guy who fixed it lately, but I guess you are out of luck i that case.
I talked to the person who fixed the bug lately and yes, you are out of luck. No resumepoint/playback progress while external players are in use. Sorry