Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Subtitles background
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
I just started using Kodi with Nvidia Shield, mostly with videos I have on an external HDD. Is there a way to add/enable a black background to the subtitles, though? I searched but I have yet to be successful to find a solution. Since my 76 yrs old mom often watches subtitled videos with me, and she has an eyes condition, it would help a lot.
The subtitles I’m using are .srt and are NOT automatically downloaded.

Thank you very much un advance
It is possible, however not natively.
You need to have subtitles in Substation Alpha format (.ass) which allows to have solid background.
You can try if this add-on suits your needs (it converts subtitles to SSA format with custom background).
It is supported natively in Kodi 18. Just set the subtitle background opacity to a value higher than 0% in the subtitles section of the settings
(2019-01-14, 02:42)enen92 Wrote: [ -> ]It is supported natively in Kodi 18. Just set the subtitle background opacity to a value higher than 0% in the subtitles section of the settings
 Thank you! When I wrote my post Kodi 18 was not available yet on NVidia Shield. After upgrading, I can now set up the black background. Smile
(2019-01-14, 02:42)enen92 Wrote: [ -> ]It is supported natively in Kodi 18. Just set the subtitle background opacity to a value higher than 0% in the subtitles section of the settings
 i don't see this in windows x64. i see "background color" and i've set it to black. but no options for background opacity in settings Undecided and i don't have a black background on subs even though it's set and i'm in "expert" mode. what am i doing wrong? i just upgraded to 18.

Thank you for this. However this adds a big box. For example if the sub is 2 lines, it creates a big box with the smaller line having a lot of dead spaces.
We need a background color that adds it line by line and it only envelopes each line and not all 2 lines in 1 box.
This feature doesn't appear to be supported in Kodi ver 19. I am using the confluence (Xonfluence) skin