Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Playback issues on Xiaomi Androdi TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

As I am quite unknown with programming I would not dare to get my foot between the door in this discussion but as I am trying to test various Kodi build to see if it suits my needs I discovered that as of release 17.6 there is heavily stuttering in quite a lot of movie files, and not limited to just the few this discussion is about (as far as I can detect)

Wouldn't it be the best solution to keep using the video component from version 17.6 (or even before that) and as a sideload develop a whole new concept that enables usage of a newly buils videoplayer that is kodi native ?

As I am on android and use the quite good 905 from amlogic I discovered that the 912 from the same manufacturer has more problems, so it looks like there is some incompatibility in these fields also which prevent kodi to actually do the job.

As I've tested kodi nightlies on both I must say that the problem really is with kodi, as other players do not have any problem at all.

Concluding (fairly said is this) : Are you devs not trying to reach a too high goal and forget in the process the most important thing ?? and that is that: Users need flawless functionality, ALL THE TIME, and care less about how big the ego of a programmer is (sorry but as system admin I've seen how it works, sadly too say)

Keep up the good work, but please get kodi 18 back to a working state, as kodi 17 is not even slightly enough to fullfil the needs (audiowise it does not give DTS or AAC out etc.)

Good luck
(2019-01-09, 13:07)estate2 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

As I am quite unknown with programming I would not dare to get my foot between the door in this discussion but as I am trying to test various Kodi build to see if it suits my needs I discovered that as of release 17.6 there is heavily stuttering in quite a lot of movie files, and not limited to just the few this discussion is about (as far as I can detect)

Wouldn't it be the best solution to keep using the video component from version 17.6 (or even before that) and as a sideload develop a whole new concept that enables usage of a newly buils videoplayer that is kodi native ?

As I am on android and use the quite good 905 from amlogic I discovered that the 912 from the same manufacturer has more problems, so it looks like there is some incompatibility in these fields also which prevent kodi to actually do the job.

As I've tested kodi nightlies on both I must say that the problem really is with kodi, as other players do not have any problem at all.

Concluding (fairly said is this) : Are you devs not trying to reach a too high goal and forget in the process the most important thing ?? and that is that: Users need flawless functionality, ALL THE TIME, and care less about how big the ego of a programmer is (sorry but as system admin I've seen how it works, sadly too say)

Keep up the good work, but please get kodi 18 back to a working state, as kodi 17 is not even slightly enough to fullfil the needs (audiowise it does not give DTS or AAC out etc.)

Good luck
AFAIK your issue is not related to the videoplayer refactoring but rather caused by the fact that we ripped out all vendor specific workarounds on Android and only support the official Android APIs for hardware accelerated video playback now. We did this due to lack of Android maintainers and the fact that all the vendor specific workarounds became just one huge unmaintainable hack where a change on one end broke playback on another end. Amlogic was known to not adhere to official Android APIs and always did their own thing, but this also changed recently. So if your Android box would get a newer firmware that includes the new Amlogic drivers, KODI v18 should run even better than v17 on this box. But since the issue with cheap Amlogic boxes usually is that they never get a firmware update, you are probably stuck on v17 on this device.

Now I don't really follow the Amlogic platform, so it might be possible that the chipsets used in your boxes are not supported by the newer Amlogic firmware (which adheres to Android APIs for HW acceleration). You might want to look this up yourself or check the Android section of our forum for further help.
Hi,

The xiaomi mi tv box S ia the newest of the xiaomi for the european market and is fully google supported, that's why I wonder what's wrong with kodi nowadays.

Okay, the am906 is not the most expensive processor, but almost the most used one, and thát's where my frustration is.

Anyway, as of version 17.6 there is a bigger problem then with 17.6 and lower versions but 17.6 does not even come close to what the amlogic 905 can handle.

I hope it is not about just supporting the more expensive tv boxes, as it almost looks like it's only for the elite and not for the working class anymore, that would be a bug shame Smile

thanks for your reaction, cheers
this has nothing to do with a price tag, we strictly support the official Android APIs and no vendor specific hacks. So any box with any random chipset that properly implements the official Android APIs will work just fine with Kodi (or the other way around). But as far as I know, there shouldn't be any issues with the Xiaomi AndroidTV box.
@estate2 a fellow team member also has the Xiaomi and doesn't have any issues. Mind creating a bug report on github ( https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues ) for your issues with a proper Debug Log and if possible also a video sample? Thanks.
Strange thing though, as I have the newest xiaomi mi tvbox s and the stuttering problem is present, bare in mind that that box also uses the 905 processor, as the cheap ones do, and therefore it could not be that one box has the problem and the other one does not.

It's not that I don't test things thurougly and quite heavelay if I may say so but that's it so strange that (as far as I read here and on other platforms) that a lot of users experience the same problem but the devs seem not to have them ?? probably that could be due to them not owning a 905 amlogic stocked box.

Anyway, dvd ISO files and extracted dvd VIDEO_TS maps are impossible to play when you do not change the video accelerator and buffer settings.

Any autodetection is not working and if that is due to ripping out the code for these amlogic processors it be so, in the mean time I have converted some of my files to mkv with handbrake and/or vidcoder and that does the trick.

Okay it's a lot of work to do because I OWN (yes own and paid for) several hundreds of dvd's but if that's the only way to go then it can not be altered.

To the "clansmen" who accused me of using banned addons and think of it beeing the only way of getting the files to test I appologise but am not going to uninstall the addons, merely because it has nothing to do with the problem at hand and therefore not relevant.

kind regards, and please, please solve the stuttering bug befor you do ANY new releas on google ply, becaus I predict if you do hell would break loose and kodi will get dumped by many users that liked it in the past.

keep up the good work, and if you need me to test some or bughunt you just have to ask, I'll be happy to help out, but mind you, my addons stay where they are, that's not negotiable.
I would like to help out on that but as I understand that I would have to uninstall some addons, and that's not going to happen, sorry.
If neccesary I look into a replacement for kodi, but I hope that's  not neccesary as I've always love xbmc in the old days and kodi too.
So you don't want to uninstall some addons but you are considering completely switching to something else?
Sorry that's just completely broken logic
@Martijn, That's not what I've said entirely.

I like to offer my help and upload the logfile to you but as I had a warning earlier on this forum that "I had the nerve to ask for help" while having these addons installed, it's just a matter of willing to accept my help.

I realise, as I said on that thread also that yo fellas do not like us to use illegal content, okay so be it, but the problem I adress has nothing to do with illegal content and therefore the addons I have on kodi should not matter at all.

It's kodi that has a bug, I want to help, sending my log and reporting what I experience, that's all.

As I am not the only user with that problem of stuttering video files it should not make any difference if I have them on my system for trying to help out improving kodi, but hey I am just a simple no brainer.

But hey, let's not go into this kind of discussions and solve the proble please.
if your issue is only with interlaced video content (DVDs etc) then we already know about this issue and are currently investigating into it. If you also have issues with other videos, please create a ticket on github and provide a log. It's btw quite easy to create a Debug Log for a vanilla installation. All you have to do is temporarily rename the .kodi folder using a Android filemanager.

edit: since your issue is kinda OT to this thread, I'll split your posts and move them to the Android section of the forum (done)

edit2: the PR where the performance issues of interlaced content are currently discussed is that one https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/15229
There are a few issues at stake currently...

There is for example a rendering bottleneck which only affects SW decoding (it is not really about interlaced as stated by @da-anda). Many people complained that DVD and MPEG-4 ASP suffered from dramatic stuttering, progressive stuff included. I can reproduce that too. Basically nothing SW decoded plays smoothly in Leia on a quad ARM Cortex A53.

Recent changes to Leia therefore enabled HW decoding for DVD and MPEG-4 ASP which might also cause trouble for various reasons though. And before we start the discussion about bad HW implementations... that's most of the time not the problem! And it is also not always due to the removal of HW specific hacks (they have been removed in Krypton already).

Once the rendering bottleneck is fixed (which @peak3d is currently working on), switching back to SW decoding for those formats can be considered (like in the "old" Krypton days). I don't like the idea however as this (i.e. not using MediaCodec Surface) bypasses VPP (like deinterlacing and scaling) of my Sony BRAVIA entirely.
(2019-01-15, 20:56)estate2 Wrote: [ -> ]Strange thing though, as I have the newest xiaomi mi tvbox s and the stuttering problem is present, bare in mind that that box also uses the 905 processor, as the cheap ones do, and therefore it could not be that one box has the problem and the other one does not.
 I know this thread is a couple of weeks old, but I thought I might reply anyway...

I have 2 Xiaomi Mi Box S.
They play all content flawlessly, the only issue I get is occasionally they stutter on 4K content if the file is 15gb or over.
This is because of a wifi network issue... The boxes don't have a wired network socket  (RJ45) only wifi.
Copy an offending file to your box locally and see if it plays without stutter...
If it plays ok, it's your wifi network, if it stutters, somethings up with your box... reset it and only install KODI and try again.

All in all the Xiaomi Mi Box S is not a bad machine, I just wish it had a network port, I had to turn off library scanning because the network is so slow.
(the box locks up if you try to play a file whilst a library update is in progress)
I now use a kodi docker container on my headless server to do all the library updates/scans.
My old H96Pro+ had a gigabit port and playing whilst scanning was never an issue....

Also some people seem to have trouble with DTS-Passthrough not being available, turn on your amp then reboot the Mi box, it should become available...