Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Replay Gain for Video files?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Someone over on QuadraphonicQuad has asked about applying ReplayGain to Music videos.

There is software that can scan and tag MKVs in a with ReplayGain tags. Can Kodi read and apply this during playback?

THX
No idea about adding such tags to mkv files, but should you achieve that I'm not sure Kodi would read them without changes. Unlike mp3 files which are scanned using Taglib, Kodi uses ffmpeg to read tags from mkv. So this would need ffmpeg to support replay gain tags (need to check if it does), and for Kodi to process it during playback.

The current support for tags in mkv files is minimal, but no reason a music video enthusiast couldn't extend that Smile
Hello @Team-Kodi Member, i want to take up the subject again.

I have a growing collection of 1,9k music videos. Mainly from youtube, with container-format mp4 (h264|aac). I added replaygain information to all of my videos afterwards, with the linux-comand-tool "collectiongain". Many standalone players such as VLC, WinAMP can handle RG-informations in Videos natively.
Can you add this feature also in "Settings: Player > Videos" of KODI, please? - It won't hurt anyone if this feature is included ^^

THX
(2020-10-06, 12:02)Sittich Wrote: [ -> ]Hello @Team-Kodi Member, i want to take up the subject again.

I have a growing collection of 1,9k music videos. Mainly from youtube, with container-format mp4 (h264|aac). I added replaygain information to all of my videos afterwards, with the linux-comand-tool "collectiongain". Many standalone players such as VLC, WinAMP can handle RG-informations in Videos natively.
Can you add this feature also in "Settings: Player > Videos" of KODI, please? - It won't hurt anyone if this feature is included ^^

THX
Recommend posting as a feature request in that forum.  It appears that "collectiongain" will write a freeform tags into MP4 file named:
"replaygain_track_gain",
"replaygain_track_peak",
"replaygain_album_gain",
"replaygain_album_peak",
"replaygain_reference_loudness"

There currently is some support for reading tags in MP4 video files so this could be extended but would need additional attributes stored in the library database for musicvideos, plus a mechanism to use the tag value to adjust volume during playback.

scott s.