Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Media Companion - Manage Icons, Posters, FanArt, .NFO's & more for Movies & TV Shows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I tried the new version (on win XP Pro) with around 70 movies and a few TV shows and everything scanned fine this time. No crashes. Big Grin

Thanks so much for this great program! Will save me many future headaches with getting correct thumbs, info and fanart!
Jezz_X Wrote:I just got around to trying this for the first time and its nice though it does have a few things that bug me
* The main page for movies is all edit boxes but most of them like imdb field you can't actually enter anything in
* It would be nice if it had a list of common terms it ignores when searching like 720p 1080p xvid divx x264 and so on. I had quite a few fail to find anything because of that stuff in the filenames but xbmc is fine.
* If you have Movie Fanart enabled it really does rape the fanart site by downloading every fanart for the movie. And when I did a fresh install with 100+ movies thats a lot
* If it gets the wrong title and downloads the wrong fanart it wont delete the incorrect fanart on title change and just adds to the end so you end up with moviename-fanart.jpg being for the wrong movie when xbmc gets it first off
* Can we have an option to not download all the cast thumbnails (it takes time) ? and where are they stored ? and is it possible to upload them to XBMC for it to use ?

1 - You can edit any part of the movie nfo by using the edit feature. The reason TextBoxes are used is to allow copy to clipboard.
2 - I'll see if I can find the regex that XBMC uses
3 - It doesnt rape rape the fanart site in that it takes just as much bandwidth to view the backdrops as download them. I could create an option to download the first one only though for people who aren't so picky.
4 - I've added this to my list of things to do.
5 - I could add the ability to disable actor thumbs. They are stored as url's within the nfo files and downloaded realtime when the movie.nfo is viewed. This is the only way I could do it that would allow XBMC to use them.
Great program.. Really just started messing with it tonight using Vista.. When I selected my entire movie folder it crashes, but selecting them one at a time, it was working.. Noticed that my older .bin movies won't show up on the list and can't be scraped.. Still moving folders around to try and see what is causing it to crash when I select the entire folder..
billyad2000 Wrote:version 1.521
Would everyone please use this one for testing now.
Awesome: Confirmed fixed for all except:

FYI billyad: I tested several tv shows where I have scattered episodes (incomplete seasons), and nfo files are created (as usual) for each&every episode however even though nfos are created not all episodes are actually visible in the Media Companion GUI?

It's weird because there is no difference between the episode nfo files that do show up versus the nfo files that do not show up.
3: Only if you are downloading the full sizes for viewing, rather than the thumbs (see the _cache directory on tvdb, and there's a separate thumbs directory for moviebackdrops.com.
billyad2000 Wrote:It is also worth asking how your episodes are named. The only supported naming conventions at the moment are :-
S01E01 or S01 E01 lower case will work ok
and
01x01 or 01 x 01 or 1x1 or 1 x 1

It also may be worth checking that http://www.thetvdb.com main tv show page actually contains an IMDB ID.

Please bare with me on this I understand that people are having problems, especially with TV Shows, and I am working very hard to fix these issues.

Just wanted to update: The newest version fixed everything I had mentioned and worked like a charm. Just to let you know you were right though THETVDB did not have the IMDB ID. But for some reason with the new release it didn't matter. I am beginning to think it might have been a problem on THETVDB with that series.

Thanks for all your work on this.
A few thoughts on movie scraping (haven't tried tv yet):
1) Why not store a list of "alternative" thumb urls in the .nfo so that to change the thumb after the initial scraping doesn't require hitting "rescrape thumbs"? Does having unrecognized xml tags in the .nfo cause problems for XBMC? If not, it would make it much faster for me to correct thumbs (some come up with an alternative language from what I use).

2) Have you ever considered incorporating a very simple file renamer? For instance, have a "movie pattern" (something like "%t (%y) %r" which translates to "track (year) runtime)") which would change the file names for movies? Even without anything complicated like trying to organize into directories (just rename files in existing directory) would be helpful. Something similar for tv shows would also be helpful. It wouldn't be useful for people who organize all of their movies into individual folders, but it would be helpful to some (including me).

3) When you scan a folder (hit the plus icon), does it search for missing thumbs and/or missing fanart even if the nfo is there?
Hi. Thank you billyad2000 for this great app. I am using XBMC Media Companion few days and i have request. I'm from Poland and i have problem with specific polish language signs like "Ł" in my nick, when i edit plot. I can't see polish letters on my xbox. This problem happen only when i change TV Shows nfo. I discovery that the Movie nfo files is UTF-8 coding and TV Shows files are ANSI coding. When I change TV Shows nfo from ANSI to UTF-8 with Notepad (Save as -> Coding: UTF-8) everything is ok ( I see polish letters on xbox), but this take to much time. Can you set default coding for TV Shows nfo to UTF-8? I think this is not only my problem.
P.S. I know my english is poor, but try to understand me.
I noticed a big problem with my last post. I didn't say thanks and how helpful this thing is. Granted, it does need a little polish, but it gets the job done.

I also noticed that the website doesn't have the latest version on it. I downloaded the copy from the website instead of looking through all of the forum posts only to experience a bug that was discussed and fixed.

Thanks again.
I also would like to see file renamer, I have been wanting to change the actual file name but they are all in a different naming convention and there are hundreds this feature would be great.

It would also be great to get a choose FanArt button similar to the thumb preview, maybe allowing you to pick the one you want and not download the extras.
[QUOTE=billyad2000;207737Out of curiosity, if you delete the trailer tag from the nfo file does it work then?[/quote]

Finally had a chance to test this with two movies. One with empty trailer tag in nfo file, one with trailer tag removed from nfo file.
Same outcome for both movies, trailer is not visible if nfo exists in folder.
I will need to update to Atlantis build (my build is a couple of weeks old now) and then I will submit a bug (if problem still exists)
HackerHelpDesk Wrote:I also would like to see file renamer, I have been wanting to change the actual file name but they are all in a different naming convention and there are hundreds this feature would be great.

you'd probably have to start over from scratch again with the nfo files or anything you have already set up with the media companion, but if that isn't an issue, there's an awesome file renamer available in thetvdb.com forums. Customizable and works awesomely

http://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?t=406

Or, maybe billyad2000 could use this program as a starting point for implementing such a feature into his own program. That would be awesome too Smile
Just tried the new version and it crashed on 2 different machines one vista x86 and the other xp pro. It would crash when I would try to scan my movie folder. So after reading the thread I decided to set up a test folder and put 1 movie in there. It crashed so I removed all the nfo's and other stuff in the folder and just had the avi file. It scanned and didn't crash, now its going to be kinda a pain to go and remove all of my nfo's from my movies but after thats done, I will just do it automatically from any new movies I add into my folder. Now if somebody can tell me how to automatically add movies to xbmc without having to go into each file and click on movie info in order for xbmc to see all the details. it would be appreciated.

I don't want to divert this thread into that subject so could a kind soul pm me about the easiest way to get movies into the library.

Thanks
For everyone having problems the most recent version is 1.521

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-7a076036.html

This is the version you need to be using.

chepnut Wrote:Just tried the new version and it crashed on 2 different machines one vista x86 and the other xp pro. It would crash when I would try to scan my movie folder. So after reading the thread I decided to set up a test folder and put 1 movie in there. It crashed so I removed all the nfo's and other stuff in the folder and just had the avi file. It scanned and didn't crash, now its going to be kinda a pain to go and remove all of my nfo's from my movies but after thats done, I will just do it automatically from any new movies I add into my folder. Now if somebody can tell me how to automatically add movies to xbmc without having to go into each file and click on movie info in order for xbmc to see all the details. it would be appreciated.

I don't want to divert this thread into that subject so could a kind soul pm me about the easiest way to get movies into the library.

Thanks

Could you pm me an exact copy of the contents of the nfo file thats causing a crash, aswell as details of filenames, path names, and the filenames of everything else contained in your test folder (If you can duplicate this error with only one movie and nfo file then this will allow me to fix it)

bionic1234 Wrote:Finally had a chance to test this with two movies. One with empty trailer tag in nfo file, one with trailer tag removed from nfo file.
Same outcome for both movies, trailer is not visible if nfo exists in folder.
I will need to update to Atlantis build (my build is a couple of weeks old now) and then I will submit a bug (if problem still exists)
This has to be an XBMC bug

bionic1234 Wrote:Awesome: Confirmed fixed for all except:

FYI billyad: I tested several tv shows where I have scattered episodes (incomplete seasons), and nfo files are created (as usual) for each&every episode however even though nfos are created not all episodes are actually visible in the Media Companion GUI?

It's weird because there is no difference between the episode nfo files that do show up versus the nfo files that do not show up.
This is a small problem that occurs because I wish to list episodes in order within the listbox. The episode counter would scan up through the episodes and when one does not exist then it assumed that no more were available. This has been fixed and will be ok from the next build.

?arhol Wrote:Hi. Thank you billyad2000 for this great app. I am using XBMC Media Companion few days and i have request. I'm from Poland and i have problem with specific polish language signs like "?" in my nick, when i edit plot. I can't see polish letters on my xbox. This problem happen only when i change TV Shows nfo. I discovery that the Movie nfo files is UTF-8 coding and TV Shows files are ANSI coding. When I change TV Shows nfo from ANSI to UTF-8 with Notepad (Save as -> Coding: UTF-8) everything is ok ( I see polish letters on xbox), but this take to much time. Can you set default coding for TV Shows nfo to UTF-8? I think this is not only my problem.
P.S. I know my english is poor, but try to understand me.
I'll look into this.

HackerHelpDesk Wrote:I also would like to see file renamer, I have been wanting to change the actual file name but they are all in a different naming convention and there are hundreds this feature would be great.

It would also be great to get a choose FanArt button similar to the thumb preview, maybe allowing you to pick the one you want and not download the extras.

A few of you have mentioned how great a file re-namer would be and it would be fairly simple for me to implement. The only thing that concerns me is things like rar files. While it would be a simple matter to rename the rar file itself, don't the contents of the rar (usually subtitles) need to be the same as the other filename.

Doing more with fanart is also my intention, and what you are asking for will be included in the near future.
I wrote a small php program to help me rename files that sort of works. Here are the things that I renamed:
the video
.tbn
.srt
-fanart.jpg
.sub

One thought is to ignore the extension and rename every file that starts with the current movie/tv show name. Something like this:
existing_video_name = substr(filename, 0, last occurance of period)
new_video_name = pattern from gui and info from nfo
foreach (filename in directory) {
if (substr(filename, 0, length(existing_video_name)) == existing_video_name) {
rename(filename, new_video_name . substr(filename, length(existing_video_name), length(filename)));
}
}

That would get files with any extension and the fanart.

Another thought is to either have a button where you rename each file one at a time (so you can have a preview of what the new filenames will be) or have a preview of the rename before it is done.

Not trying to make this too complicated. I also agree that bug fixes and fanart would take priority over the renaming feature. Just thought it might help.