Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Playback stops during playback of any file
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

I've found a number of threads relating to this but haven't been able to solve the issue or find the root cause.  I recently got an Android Box from Amazon to replace an aging Zotac ZBox (Windows PC) as my Kodi box.  My old machine was starting to stutter and struggle with high quality 1080p videos.  I stream over ethernet (via Powerline adapters) from my NAS drive, but have never had an issue like this.

When playback stops it just goes straight back the video list, and I can resume from exactly where it stopped.

I've tested from the same NAS using NFS and SMB, both do the same thing.  I will next try playing something from a local USB drive.

I've experienced this issue with the box's pre-loaded KDPlayer, Kodi 17.6 and today Kodi 18 from the Play Store.

I made a debug log here, https://paste.kodi.tv/biwehiporo

I've never looked at the Kodi log files before, but this seems to be when the error occurred.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Quote:18:14:45.190 T:25880 ERROR: Read - Error( -5, nfs_service failed )
18:14:45.190 T:25880 ERROR: ffmpeg[6518]: [matroska,webm] Read error
18:14:45.197 T:25880 ERROR: Read - Error( -5, nfs_service failed )
18:14:45.325 T:25748 ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
close call failed with "NFS: Commit failed with NFS3ERR_ACCES(-13)"

There are lots of other log entries with the above error. Exactly which NAS do you use? And which NFS version?

Powerline can have its own network issues, possible almost as bad as wifi.
Indeed, try playing the video(s) from a local USB stick.
OK, I copied the video to the android box and played it locally.

http://paste.kodi.tv/ogiwosoluc

I left it playing, but didn't watch for it to stop, skimming through the logs seems to indicated it played through to the end as it marked it as watched ~22:50.  Which is about the right time it should have finished.

So this would indicate a network/NAS issue I guess?  Which is odd because I have no such issues with streaming from the NAS to my laptop or my older version of Kodi running on Windows 10.

Could it be something as simple as an old/dodgy Ethernet cable?

Would it be logical to try another cable and retest?  And also, clear my existing Kodi installation on my Windows 10 machine, install a fresh copy of v18 and run a test on that too?

In fact is there any kind of android app i could install on the box (separate to Kodi) to some how test the connection and/or the NAS?

One final edit/thought, is there some setting in Kodi that would simply "obscure" this error, increasing buffer size for instance?

Many thanks for any help.
Unfortunately, it's looking like it's going to be an issue with the Android Box...tried to eliminate  a dodgy Ethernet cable by unplugging it and using WiFi, which produced the same problem, suddenly stopped playback, same error.

I'm currently trying the Android build on my phone, it's been playing for well over 1 hour without issue from the same source, which would indicate it's not an issue with NAS box/HDD.

Any other thought's/ideas would be very welcome.
Annoyingly, I can't seem to get this fixed, at a loss for what else to try, would be massively grateful if anyone could provide some help or tips please?

It's not the network or NAS, so must be the android box, issue is whether it's a hardware or software issue.
Maybe you can try with LibreELEC on your box: https://libreelec.tv/downloads_new/rockchip/

Or maybe you're in time to return the device and buy another model.
Am I right in thinking LibreELEC is an entire OS replacement?

If so, I think it's a return and replace job with the android box.
(2019-02-04, 22:54)Dexter1759 Wrote: [ -> ]Am I right in thinking LibreELEC is an entire OS replacement?

If so, I think it's a return and replace job with the android box.
 Yes, LibreELEC is an entire OS replacement and you would also lose the power to use other Android applications. If your problem is software, maybe it would solve it, but if you are in time to return the device, I would do it.

Regards.

Update: I've never really tried LibreELEC, but I see that it really installs on an SD and you can boot the device either with Android or with LibreELEC, so you really still keep Android.
Unfortunately, I can't find any info on how to boot from a USB drive on an android box.  Or at least nothing that I can understand at the moment.

Luckily, the seller is sending me a replacement box (purchase via Amazon), hopefully the new box will simply work, if not, at least I can confirm it's a setting elsewhere on my network.  Even though I feel I've eliminated the various possibilities there.

Whilst I await my replacement box, I will try creating an NFS server from my windows 10 machine and see if that works.  At least then I can eliminate my actual NAS box being an issue.
Even after getting a replacement box, I was still having the same issue.

However, as a desperate last attempt and more Googling, I found some forum posts pointing to disabling ipv6 on their Shield TV.  I couldn't find a way of disabling IPV6 on my android box, but had the brainwave to change from DHCP to a Static IP, it seems to force it to only use IPV4.  I've had it running through a couple of films so far and it seems to have fixed the issue.

I'll confirm 100% when I've had it running a couple of days.
For anyone finding this in the future, setting the device to a static ipv4 IP seems to have resolved the issue.