Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Windows Store v18 update resets my settings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(2019-02-02, 09:20)maker3 Wrote: [ -> ]When UWP will return?
what for? UWP version is targeting for xbox for now because it has a lot of limitation and have no benefits from usage it on PC
Just to go forward and not be stuck in Win32.

On blog post UWP was also announced for Windows, not only Xbox.
(2019-02-02, 18:37)afedchin Wrote: [ -> ]
what for? UWP version is targeting for xbox for now because it has a lot of limitation and have no benefits from usage it on PC  
RE: no benefits from usage it on PC 
Not entirely.  As a user, I rather have a limited version that auto updates itself than a version that I have to manually track and install updates for.  The ease of just leave it there and it will pull some kind of latest version is definitely something that I care for, especially since I have to maintain software on four desktops and two laptops.  I know some other programs that check for updates when the user executes them, but even that model is a pain point itself since from the user's end we are executing an application so it would do something for us, not to get interrupted by maintenance prompts and options to do maintenance work.
(2019-02-02, 23:25)YasharF Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-02-02, 18:37)afedchin Wrote: [ -> ]
RE: no benefits from usage it on PC 
Not entirely.  As a user, I rather have a limited version that auto updates itself than a version that I have to manually track and install updates for.  The ease of just leave it there and it will pull some kind of latest version is definitely something that I care for, especially since I have to maintain software on four desktops and two laptops.  I know some other programs that check for updates when the user executes them, but even that model is a pain point itself since from the user's end we are executing an application so it would do something for us, not to get interrupted by maintenance prompts and options to do maintenance work. 
I am also fan of the UWP Version. Mainly because of the idea behind that and that there should be also support for the Win 10 S-Mode possible. 
But I think your argument does also apply for the Desktop Bridge version because the auto-update feature comes from the "Microsoft Store".
My opinion on this topic is, that it is ok to leave the Desktop Bridge version for now in the Store.
The big goal should be to fix the limitations and then push again the UWP version to the Store.
I know that there are some limitations that exists because Microsoft allows only a limited set of features, but also on this ones should everyone tell Microsoft that this feature is needed.
(2019-02-02, 23:25)YasharF Wrote: [ -> ]Not entirely.  As a user, I rather have a limited version that auto updates itself than a version that I have to manually track and install updates for. 
Please don't mix version. desktop version also can be distributed via the store with auto updates (currently desktop bridged version will install from the store on PC)

(2019-02-03, 10:24)MC Darkmaster Wrote: [ -> ]Mainly because of the idea behind that and that there should be also support for the Win 10 S-Mode possible. 
Nobody talks about Win10M we are mostly talking about desktop. Win10M has no future because MS announced no more developing it. I see no reason to support Win10M, we supported it in early UWP versions but currently Kodi requires os version which is not available on mobile devices (even on MS Lumia 950 XL)
(2019-02-03, 10:24)MC Darkmaster Wrote: [ -> ]The big goal should be to fix the limitations and then push again the UWP version to the Store.
And how you are imagine this? How we can fix limitation of the UWP subsystem? Kodi UPW is limited not because we want this but because UWP subsystem has a lot of limitations. an UWP app doesn't even have access to the SMB network. we had to develop addon to return SMB support to Kodi.UWP
(2019-02-03, 13:01)afedchin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-02-02, 23:25)YasharF Wrote: [ -> ]Not entirely.  As a user, I rather have a limited version that auto updates itself than a version that I have to manually track and install updates for. 
Please don't mix version. desktop version also can be distributed via the store with auto updates (currently desktop bridged version will install from the store on PC)      
I have questions.  
  1. When you say "currently", do you mean that might change in the future?
  2. Does the desktop bridged version have any limitations compared to the exe version?
  3. If we install the store version now, will the updates always be the desktop bridged version?
  4. Will there be two versions in the store?
1. who knows?
2. no, it's exactly the same exe but installed via the store.
3. we have no plans to distribute uwp version to destop PC.
4. there are two versions in the store, destop bridge version for PCs and UWP for xbox.
(2019-02-03, 21:31)afedchin Wrote: [ -> ]1. who knows?
2. no, it's exactly the same exe but installed via the store.
3. we have no plans to distribute uwp version to destop PC.
4. there are two versions in the store, destop bridge version for PCs and UWP for xbox.
  Does it use "C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Kodi" to store its config data like the exe version does? Can I install the store version on top of the already installed exe version, or do I need to uninstall the exe version first?
Glad I found this post re this recent update; thought it was someone in the family ruining my setup (a win10 pro custom htpc, linked to a custom fileserver).

I just went for a full clean install of the 64bit version of kodi v18.0 (stable build). After getting all ready again I started running into some issues. Some were resolved by re-adding the addons, but unfortunately some aren't:
1. While I am able to mount my SMB shares and content scraping works (mostly, but more on that at 2.) as soon as I want to watch any media it says that the file is no longer available. Running the movie or episode from files does work however.
2. While some content scraping works, kodi constantly crashes to desktop when scanning and scraping for new content. This happens with both 1080p and 4k sources, but does not apply to all content as it does scrape info for the first 3 or so shows and movies.

Relevant addons installed:
- Archive support
- Rar archive support

For some reason I am able to mount my SMB share but I dont have the SMB addon enabled as it isn't showing in my addon repository.

Any ideas?
(2019-02-03, 23:23)kbaudi Wrote: [ -> ]Does it use "C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Kodi" to store its config data like the exe version does? Can I install the store version on top of the already installed exe version, or do I need to uninstall the exe version first?
It uses this folder once on first start and makes shadow copy of it to another location. We can't control this, this "feature" of desktop bridge. You can install both, but can't launch both at the same time.

(2019-02-04, 10:34)vaLii Wrote: [ -> ]For some reason I am able to mount my SMB share but I dont have the SMB addon enabled as it isn't showing in my addon repository.

the addon is available for UWP version only.
(2019-02-04, 10:46)afedchin Wrote: [ -> ]the addon is available for UWP version only. 
Got it. That explains why it's not showing up. After various other tests with adding/changing the way I'm importing my library I am now at an impasse in which heading to my movies crashes Kodi instantly. The same issue I get when updating/scanning my library.

I have created a log including all details here: https://paste.kodi.tv/alayitosod.kodi
(2019-02-03, 13:01)afedchin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-02-02, 23:25)YasharF Wrote: [ -> ] 
(2019-02-03, 10:24)MC Darkmaster Wrote: [ -> ]Mainly because of the idea behind that and that there should be also support for the Win 10 S-Mode possible. 
Nobody talks about Win10M we are mostly talking about desktop. Win10M has no future because MS announced no more developing it. I see no reason to support Win10M, we supported it in early UWP versions but currently Kodi requires os version which is not available on mobile devices (even on MS Lumia 950 XL)
(2019-02-03, 10:24)MC Darkmaster Wrote: [ -> ]The big goal should be to fix the limitations and then push again the UWP version to the Store.
And how you are imagine this? How we can fix limitation of the UWP subsystem? Kodi UPW is limited not because we want this but because UWP subsystem has a lot of limitations. an UWP app doesn't even have access to the SMB network. we had to develop addon to return SMB support to Kodi.UWP 
Yes nobody (except you Wink) talks about Win10M. Win 10 S Mode has nothing to do with Win10M. It is meant as an additional security feature to only allow apps from the Microsoft Store and no .exe anymore. 

The other thing was meant that everybody should tell Microsoft that there are some restrictions in the UWP Model that needs to be allowed. BluRay-Player access or custom video directories for example. The app should ask for extra permission for this. If all these limitations are gone or there are appropriate Workarounds for that, than I would prefer the UWP version in the store. Sorry that I expressed it not cleary. 
P.S.: I love Kodi. Thumbs up for the great work which all of you did!
(2019-02-01, 05:16)Slavio Parush Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-01-31, 06:11)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]Right-click on the icon...
Shift + rightclick worked!
Since the update to v18, it has a hard time bitstreaming. It decodes the audio all the time. When switching audio options however, it will eventually bitstream. It is not my computer since VLC, Media Player Classic, etc all bitstream without problem. 

P.S Kodi has always bitstreamed without issue before but for a while now, even before the update it has had difficulty.
(2019-02-04, 16:50)MC Darkmaster Wrote: [ -> ]Yes nobody (except you Wink) talks about Win10M. Win 10 S Mode has nothing to do with Win10M. It is meant as an additional security feature to only allow apps from the Microsoft Store and no .exe anymore. 
why we should support crappy Win10S? if someone want to install Kodi then he/she should update his/her system. that's all.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13