Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Leia backup/restore support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
First off, thanks in advance for any help you may provide. Now onto my issue/question...

A while back I somehow lost everything in my Kodi. Since then, I've been making zip backups every month or so, just in case (I won't say the name of the addon I use to backup/restore, because I don't know if it violates any rules). Anyway, I've never had an issue backing up or restoring using this method.

So, today I installed the final release of Leia and attempted to restore a zip backup. I expected there to be errors/problems because I know that several addons are not configured for Leia yet. However, when I tried to restore, it wouldn't even recognize the zip. I understand that Leia is built differently, so I assume it's a compatibility issue.

I wouldn't be opposed to reinstalling the necessary addons one by one again, and all of my sources, if I have to. But is there a way around that for now? Even if I could just keep my sources, so I could then install the necessary addons (even though some of them probably won't work)?

Also, is there a way to find out which addons have been 'updated' to work with Leia?

By the way, I installed Leia on a secondary device (mainly just for testing), so I currently still have my working 17.6 setup. I didn't want to update to Leia on my main device until I figured some of this stuff out.

Thanks for any help.
--JerseyBlooded
I'm also looking for a reliable backup addon that works both in terms of backing up and restoring with Kodi 18.

I've always used the "Backup" addon by robweber (available in the official Kodi Add-on Repository). Backing up doesn't appear to be a problem on Kodi 18, however I keep getting error messages when restoring on a different device (also using Kodi 18).

UPDATE - turns out that the addon still works fine, just not restoring compressed backups. Not sure if its just me - reported in the addons github site.

But backing-up and restoring uncompressed works fine for me.
(2019-01-30, 06:57)jerseyblooded Wrote: [ -> ]First off, thanks in advance for any help you may provide. Now onto my issue/question...

A while back I somehow lost everything in my Kodi. Since then, I've been making zip backups every month or so, just in case (I won't say the name of the addon I use to backup/restore, because I don't know if it violates any rules). Anyway, I've never had an issue backing up or restoring using this method.

So, today I installed the final release of Leia and attempted to restore a zip backup. I expected there to be errors/problems because I know that several addons are not configured for Leia yet. However, when I tried to restore, it wouldn't even recognize the zip. I understand that Leia is built differently, so I assume it's a compatibility issue.

I wouldn't be opposed to reinstalling the necessary addons one by one again, and all of my sources, if I have to. But is there a way around that for now? Even if I could just keep my sources, so I could then install the necessary addons (even though some of them probably won't work)?

Also, is there a way to find out which addons have been 'updated' to work with Leia?

By the way, I installed Leia on a secondary device (mainly just for testing), so I currently still have my working 17.6 setup. I didn't want to update to Leia on my main device until I figured some of this stuff out.

Thanks for any help.
--JerseyBlooded
Backing-up and restoring non-compressed / non-ZIP backups works fine using the "Backup" addon by robweber, available in the official Kodi Add-on Repository.
For me, there doesn't seem to be a difference whether I use compressed files or not. I keep getting the same outcome, as you'll see below...

UPDATE:
Here are all of the scenarios/processes I have tried so far. I know a lot of it is repetitive, and some of it is confusing, but I wanted to try every option. Also, I am using Android...

NOTE:
I also have an exported/backed up .zip of my Super Favourites list. Throughout each of these scenarios, I have also individually uninstalled and reinstalled Super Favourites several times. As well as restoring my Super Favorites list via the backup up .zip. However, that did not fix any of the issues.

FOR REFERENCE:
-ADDON A: Backup/Restore addon (NON-official Kodi addon)
-ADDON B: "Backup" by robweber (located in official Kodi Repository)
-ADDON C: Backup/Restore addon (NON-official Kodi addon)

SCENARIO 1:
1) Already had 17.6 installed
2) Updated to 18.0.
3) All previously installed addons were still shown in 18.0.
4) I didn't check every single addon, but most of them seemed to work, with the exception of two issues:
-ISSUE 1: Super Favourites: All items I previously added and categories I previously created were all still listed in the addon. However, if I click on any of them, nothing happens. It's as if these items can no longer link to the original location/source, even though I tested the original locations/sources directly, and they worked.
-ISSUE 2: NON-official Kodi music addon: I had a similar issue with this addon. Any items I previously added to my 'favorites' within the music addon, were still listed. However, if I click on any of them, either nothing happens, or it freezes Kodi. Again, it's as if these items can no longer link to the original location/source. However, if I go into the addon, and search for any item, it works just fine.

SCENARIO 2-A:
1) Created a backup from 17.6 using ADDON A.
2) Installed fresh 17.6 (to test ADDON A backup (17.6)).
3) Successfully used ADDON A to restore 17.6 from ADDON A backup (17.6).
4) Installed fresh 18.0.
5) Attempted to restore 18.0 from ADDON A backup (17.6).
6) However, ADDON A would not back up or restore a previous backup.
7) ADDON A is no longer functional in 18.0.

SCENARIO 2-B:
1) Created a backup from 17.6 using ADDON B.
2) Installed fresh 17.6 (to test ADDON B backup (17.6)).
3) Successfully used ADDON B to restore 17.6 from ADDON B backup (17.6) (to test ADDON B (17.6)).
4) Installed fresh 18.0.
5) Successfully used ADDON B to restore 18.0 from ADDON B backup (17.6).
6) *Same exact issues as SCENARIO 1.*

SCENARIO 2-C:
1) *Same exact process as SCENARIO 2-B, except using ADDON C, instead of ADDON B.*
2) *Same exact issues as SCENARIO 1.*

SCENARIO 3-A:
1) Installed fresh 18.0.
2) Successfully used ADDON B to restore 18.0 from ADDON B backup (17.6).
3) Created a backup from 18.0 using ADDON B.
4) Installed fresh 18.0.
5) Successfully used ADDON B to restore 18.0 from ADDON B backup (18.0).
6) *Same exact issues as SCENARIO 1* (I figured this would happen, since the issues existed prior to the backup process).

SCENARIO 3-B:
1) *Same exact process as SCENARIO 3-A, except using ADDON C, instead of ADDON B.*
2) *Same exact issues as SCENARIO 1* (I figured this would happen, since the issues existed prior to the backup process).

CONCLUSION:
Obviously, it doesn't matter which Backup/Restore addon you choose to use. I can't think of any other options that would have a different outcome.

--JerseyBlooded
I'd wonder if this isn't something else rather than the actual backup/restore itself.

All the backup will do is make a copy of your set-up's folder (normally Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi on Android, although the start of it can vary a bit on some devices) or parts of the structure inside it and then restore just pastes them back to the same location in the new device. If you want you can do that manually to completely exclude any add-on influence.

But I'd more wonder if there's some kind of source map issue or something like that, which is making the actual item (favourite, setting or whatever) invalid on the target device compared to the original source one?

Can you manually recreate one of the problem items on the new device and then compare the properties of the two (source location, access privs etc) and see if there's any difference?
(2019-01-30, 14:58)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Can you manually recreate one of the problem items on the new device and then compare the properties of the two (source location, access privs etc) and see if there's any difference?

I can recreate the problem, but how do I see the source location and access privileges to compare?
Also, even though there is clearly a problem, I don't receive and 'error notifications' and nothing is showing up in my even log.

I know a lot, but I've still only been using Kodi for a little over a year. Sorry.
The first thing I'd check (if you have access to a file manager outside Kodi, under Android) is to see if you can create and decompress a zip file in the relevant location (see above).

Or if it fails under Kodi, check with a file manager to see if things are actually created properly and just not decompressed, or if it's the creation part. Trying to narrow things down.

As others have noted, there seems to be some issues with compressed files at the moment. I know some of the functionality was moved out to add-ons (look in the official repo under Virtual File Systems for those, and maybe install the ones that may be needed) although there are still reports of some issues even with them installed so there may need to be some changes made to add-ons that use such functionality too.
So far...
1) I installed a fresh 17.6.
2) Restored a working backup I had from 17.6.
3) Copied the entire .kodi folder.
4) Uninstalled 17.6.
5) Installed fresh 18.0.
6) Pasted entire .kodi folder back in the proper location.
7) Opened 18.0, and all my addons and data were there.
8) Unfortunately, I still had the same exact issues.
9) Conclusion: Even removing backup/restore addons from the equation, I still wound up with the same end result.

The very first process I tried was...
1) I had a working 17.6 with all my addons and data.
2) I upgraded to 18.0 (not a fresh install).
3) That's when I first experienced the issues. And nothing has seem to change that.

So that was without using any form of a backup. And I know that the original 17.6 backup works perfectly. So there has to be some kind of disconnect from 17.6 to 18.0.

I feel like this is a waste of time, because I could just start a new Super Favourites. However, I have over 1,000 items organized in there, and from several different addons. So, I guess it is worth it to keep trying.
And I guess I could just continue to use 17.6 for now, but that's no fun when 18.0 is available, haha. And I feel like I would just have the same issues when I ugrade in the future. And I also want to use the retro gaming feature, which is onle available in 18.0.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I know how to accomplish a lot of what you are suggesting.
I'm trying to differentiate whether it's an issue with the add-ons, or if it's an issue with the data that you're restoring.

So for example if you restore your Super Favourites data they appear but don't work, but if you create an example or two of them under Leia do those work?

If you compare the content of the newly created file to the restored one are there any differences? Is the location of the files the same?

The above would need to be done outside Kodi as I said before. You can find the add-ons data subfolder in your userdata (wiki) folder, in the relevant sub-folder for the add-on (Super Favourites in this case). It's not an add-on I personally use so I'm not fully sure how/where it saves things, but it's worth a look.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...favourites

See posts #138 and #139.
Links made in simple favourites using 'PlayMedia' or 'ActivateWindow' that work in krypton don't in leia.I've not checked the state of the ActivateWindow function recently but PlayMedia is still broken ( see primaeval's bug report.)
That's possibly the same issue(s) you're seeing with super favourites.
(2019-01-31, 13:17)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]So for example if you restore your Super Favourites data they appear but don't work, but if you create an example or two of them under Leia do those work?

LATEST UPDATE:

1) Installed fresh 18.0.
2) Installed fresh Super Favourites.
3) Installed fresh video addon.
4) Added season (folder) from video addon to Super Favourites.
5) Added episode (single file) from video addon to Super Favourites.
6) Tried to access season (folder) from within Super Favourites. The item did NOT load.
7) Tried to access episode (single file) from within Super Favourites. The item DID load without any problems.
8) Conclusion: It has to be a compatibility issue specifically between Super Favourites and 18.0.

Do you agree?

*I'm also having a similar, yet different, issue with a music addon. But I want to figure out Super Favourites before I start digging in the music addon.
I'm using Super Favourites, not Simple Favourites. I did install Simple Favourites just now, to try it. But I couldn't even get any items added to it. I don't know if this is because of the problems you stated or not. And if I can get Super Favourites working correctly again, I'll have no use for Simple Favourites. But thank you for the info.
(2019-02-01, 13:12)jerseyblooded Wrote: [ -> ]LATEST UPDATE:

1) Installed fresh 18.0.
2) Installed fresh Super Favourites.
3) Installed fresh video addon.
4) Added season (folder) from video addon to Super Favourites.
5) Added episode (single file) from video addon to Super Favourites.
6) Tried to access season (folder) from within Super Favourites. The item did NOT load.
7) Tried to access episode (single file) from within Super Favourites. The item DID load without any problems.
8) Conclusion: It has to be a compatibility issue specifically between Super Favourites and 18.0.

Do you agree?

*I'm also having a similar, yet different, issue with a music addon. But I want to figure out Super Favourites before I start digging in the music addon
Do the above then enable debug logging, restart kodi, repeat 6 and 7, post a link to your log.
Make very sure you're not using a banned addon for your log, or you'll get your thread closed toot sweet.
That's the only way to see what's going wrong.
(2019-02-01, 13:16)jerseyblooded Wrote: [ -> ]I'm using Super Favourites, not Simple Favourites. I did install Simple Favourites just now, to try it. But I couldn't even get any items added to it. I don't know if this is because of the problems you stated or not. And if I can get Super Favourites working correctly again, I'll have no use for Simple Favourites. But thank you for the info.
I know you're using super favourites.  However there are only so many ways that an addon can open a folder / play a file / whatever, so they can face the same problems.  Nowhere did I suggest you try simple favourites.  It's highly likely you've hit the same issue - a debug log would confirm or not.
(2019-01-31, 13:50)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...favourites

See posts #138 and #139.

Hey Trogggy. Sorry, I responded without checking the link you posted. I have now read through all the posts from #138 and on. I might actually be facing the same issue, as those posts refer to both Simple and Super...

I will have to try your suggestion and post my log sometime tomorrow or the day after.

p.s.--I only tried Simple Favourites to see if it worked, and because I had never used it before.
Thanks for your help.
Pages: 1 2