Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: BRAVIA Oreo introduces DTS and DTS-HD support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The new Oreo firmware for Sony BRAVIA introduces DTS and DTS-HD API support.

From `AudioDeviceInfo::getEncodings`:
Code:

--- Found device: BRAVIA 4K GB ATV3
id: 12, type: HDMI_ARC, isSink: true, isSource: false
channel counts: 1 / 2 / 6 / 8 /
channel index masks: any
channel masks: 4 / 12 / 252 / 6396 /
encodings: PCM_16BIT / 10 / 11 / 12 / AC3 / E_AC3 / DTS / DTS_HD /
sample rates: 8000 / 11025 / 16000 / 22050 / 24000 / 32000 / 44100 / 48000 /

Of course those newly added APIs are non-functional, even in Sony's very own Video app. No stream arrives at the AVR, just silence. Very Sony-like...

One may wonder what DTS-HD over ARC is all about? There is DTS-HD MA and DTS-HD HRA, with the latter one being a lossy format similar to Dolby Digital Plus (up to 6mbps) which TVs can transmit via ARC.

Question is how Kodi distinguishes between DTS-HD MA and DTS-HD HDR with respect to audio passthrough capabilities? Android does not provide respective constants. Probably based on maximum sample rate? Sending DTS-HD MA over ARC will obviously fail. Or maybe the BRAVIA will extract DTS Core? We might find out in a few years after Sony fixes current issues.

The TV also supports encodings 10 (ENCODING_AAC_LC), 11 (ENCODING_AAC_HE_V1) and 12 now (ENCODING_AAC_HE_V2). Probably not working though... Wink
I have the same problem.

Is there a solution for this?
Disable DTS and DTS-HD in Kodi audio settings and enable the Dolby Digital transcoder. DTS will be transcoded to Dolby Digital and ouptut via ARC or S/PDIF.
I meant a right solution für DTS.  I previously used Kodi 17.6 Shitty version for DTS.

This worked wonderfully. Sad
The current Shitty has dts, but the gray bars on Sony TV.

Can you please update the Shitty without gray bar at Sony?
In kodi debug log, you can find the stream support:
- STREAM_TYPE_AC3,
- STREAM_TYPE_EAC3,
- STREAM_TYPE_DTSHD_CORE,
- STREAM_TYPE_DTS_1024,
- STREAM_TYPE_DTS_2048,
- STREAM_TYPE_DTS_512,
- STREAM_TYPE_DTSHD,
- STREAM_TYPE_DTSHD_MA
Sorry, I do not know what you mean?

With the old 17.6 Shitty on Android it worked. I do not have that anymore. Sad

The Kodi 18 Shitty on the 22nd of December is fine too. However, HDR Film has gray bars on Sony.
Quote:- STREAM_TYPE_AC3,
- STREAM_TYPE_EAC3,
- STREAM_TYPE_DTSHD_CORE,
- STREAM_TYPE_DTS_1024,
- STREAM_TYPE_DTS_2048,
- STREAM_TYPE_DTS_512,
- STREAM_TYPE_DTSHD,
- STREAM_TYPE_DTSHD_MA

Problem is that DTS formats do not work!
DTS works in my AVR with Shitty Version!
I prefer DOLBY DIGITAL transcoding over the PCM hack used in the shitty builds.

Still hope that Sony will fix the official DTS APIs.
Which version do you use exactly? For me, the AVR really showed DTS.

However, because of the other not to use.
Everything is great with this version. Here I have DTS and black Bars. Smile

http://ftp.igh.cnrs.fr/pub/xbmc/xbmc/tes...bi-v7a.apk
(2019-01-31, 09:59)CiNcH Wrote: [ -> ]The new Oreo firmware for Sony BRAVIA introduces DTS and DTS-HD API support.

Of course those newly added APIs are non-functional, even in Sony's very own Video app. No stream arrives at the AVR, just silence. Very Sony-like...

One may wonder what DTS-HD over ARC is all about? There is DTS-HD MA and DTS-HD HRA, with the latter one being a lossy format similar to Dolby Digital Plus (up to 6mbps) which TVs can transmit via ARC.

Question is how Kodi distinguishes between DTS-HD MA and DTS-HD HDR with respect to audio passthrough capabilities? Android does not provide respective constants. Probably based on maximum sample rate? Sending DTS-HD MA over ARC will obviously fail. Or maybe the BRAVIA will extract DTS Core? We might find out in a few years after Sony fixes current issues.

The TV also supports encodings 10 (ENCODING_AAC_LC), 11 (ENCODING_AAC_HE_V1) and 12 now (ENCODING_AAC_HE_V2). Probably not working though... Wink
As you mentioned later, DTS-HD MA can't run over ARC. But, Sony did introduce eARC in it's new TV's. They do support Android TV so maybe that's the reason for the API change?
Quote: As you mentioned later, DTS-HD MA can't run over ARC. But, Sony did introduce eARC in it's new TV's. They do support Android TV so maybe that's the reason for the API change?

It just does not make sense to enable DTS-HD MA for ARC, even if they have eARC devices in their portfolio. Then they have to disable it for ARC devices.

I assume that it is about DTS-HD HRA. Sony usually only cares about formats relevant for streaming (at least with respect to Android integration) which lossless multi-channel audio formats are not. I assume that it has something to do with their IMAX Enhanced program for which they partnered with DTS. So we might see some DTS-HD HRA for some streaming content in the future?