Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield TV 2017 - Kodi 18 won't play AVI files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I cannot play avi files with Kodi 18. They either do not play, some I hear audio only and sometimes it causes duplicate menu items to display and screen flickers.

All of the same AVI files played just fine when I had 17.6 installed and they still play perfectly with MX Player.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Log File:
qucisuroju (paste)

Here is a screenshot. Notice there is no video but the playback timeline is displayed twice.

Also, if I login to Emby, it shows the video is direct playing without error.
Tried updating to the nightly build and that did not help. Also tried running a couple of AVI files through "fixer" apps but they did not find any issues with the files. I also used MPEG4 Modifier and it did not show any packed frames.
Below is what I get when I try to play a test AVI with ffmpeg:

Here is MediaInfo of the test file:
Code:
General
Complete name : C:\1.avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 136 MiB
Duration : 22 min 26 s
Overall bit rate : 845 kb/s
Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.1.1a (build 1639/release)
Writing library : VirtualDubMod build 1639/release

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Advanced Simple@L3
Format settings : GMC2 / QPel
Format settings, BVOP : No
Format settings, QPel : Yes
Format settings, GMC : 2 warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Bit rate : 643 kb/s
Width : 640 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.087
Stream size : 103 MiB (76%)
Writing library : XviD 0.0.09 (UTC 2003-03-25)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Format settings : Joint stereo / MS Stereo
Codec ID : 55
Codec ID/Hint : MP3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 192 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 30.8 MiB (23%)
Alignment : Split accross interleaves
Interleave, duration : 42 ms (1.00 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration : 464 ms
I used Avidemux to convert the test AVI to MKV container (copy, no re-encode) and it still will not play.

If I use Avidemux and re-encode as Mpeg4 AVC (x264) it plays.

So how can I find out what's causing this issue?
(2019-02-01, 21:59)jeffshead Wrote: [ -> ]I used Avidemux to convert the test AVI to MKV container (copy, no re-encode) and it still will not play.

If I use Avidemux and re-encode as Mpeg4 AVC (x264) it plays.

So how can I find out what's causing this issue?
 please post your test file...
(2019-02-02, 01:58)jeffshead Wrote: [ -> ]AVI file (135 MB):
https://filebin.net/b83fiziyyz9jc6l9
Your video here is really very old. It has been encoded in 2003 with the XviD encoder v0.0.09 in VirtualDubMod v1.5.1.1a. Not even MPC-HC can play this correctly. However, ffplay and Avidemux play the video without errors (at least under Windows). I wouldn't spend too much time here with such old files and simply encode them to H.265/MKV.

Here's your test file with 99,9% identical quality and plays absolutely fluid in Kodi 18: https://mega.nz/#!T7IyjASJ!9BqY3mH9U7iBT...sLioVicKF0
Code:
for /R %%I in (*.avi) do ffmpeg -i "%%I" -c:v hevc_nvenc -preset slow -cq 10 -g 150 -c:a aac -b:a 192k "%%~nI.mkv" & echo del "%%I"

MPC-HC v1.8.4:
I tried your code but all I get is:
Code:
%%I was unexpected at this time.
Please use only one % or in a batch file with two %%
I replaced %% with % and the command ran but I get the following:
You don't have a NVIDIA graphics card, my command is optimized for it. Just adjust it accordingly. There are a lot of tutorials for ffmpeg ;-)

This should work, but it's more than 10 times slower than NVIDIAS NVENC:
Code:
for /R %I in (*.avi) do ffmpeg -i "%I" -c:v hevc -preset slow -cq 10 -g 150 -c:a aac -b:a 192k "%~nI.mkv" & echo del "%I"
@rainman74 
Thanks for the help. I tried the last command you posted. It works but the original file is not deleted and no error is thrown. The delete command line is the last line displayed in the command window. Do you have any ideas as to why it's not deleting the file?

Also, it's going to take FOREVER to convert all of my files with CPU. I went out and bought a GTX 1060 just to convert them via GPU. Do you know if I can install the card and convert directly on the Windows 2012 R2 server? I thought that would be optimal since the files are stored on it. I ask because NVIDIA does not offer drivers for servers. I will try with the Win8.1 driver but I thought I'd ask here for real-world experience.

Lastly, the file you converted is more than double the size of the original. That, to me, is not a valid solution since the quality can only go down. What settings do you recommend that will keep the same files size and quality?
Play with
Code:
-cq
and try 15 or 18 instead of 10.
Got the card installed and used your original command line but I changed cq to 18. The created file is still almost twice as large as the original and I can see a degrade in quality.

Do you know what other settings I should try? Losing quality and substantially increasing file size is not good. There must be a happy compromise.
Pages: 1 2