Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi-18 TVHeadend and Linux (non-'buntu)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can someone please explain - in simple terms - the steps necessary to get TVHeadend working with non-ubuntu systems? I'm running Slackware-current (development tree) 64 bit. I had only minor problems getting 17.6 working, but 18 has defeated me so far. All the documentation I've found so far is either Ubuntu or Debian related, and doesn't work with systems not based on these.
In 17.6, I simply created a build directory, containing the kodi source code in one folder, and the pvr.hts in another. I could the run a script like:

cd pvr.hts && mkdir build && cd build
cmake -DADDONS_TO_BUILD=pvr.hts -DADDON_SRC_PREFIX=../.. -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=../../xbmc-17.6-Krypton/addons -DPACKAGE_ZIP=1 ../../xbmc-17.6-Krypton/project/cmake/addons
make

and then continue to build kodi.

Unfortunately, the new build "architecture" has changed considerably, and xbmc-17.6-Krypton/project/cmake/addons no longer exists. The binary add-ons apparently don't work under Linux. I see references to PPA, but this appears to be something unique to Debian / Ubuntu.

How about some kind of guide for the rest of us?

Cheers,

--
Pete
Well, after a lot of digging, I finally found a document that suggested running the following in the xbmc-18.0-Leia directory:

make -j$(getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN) -C tools/depends/target/binary-addons PREFIX=/usr/local ADDONS="pvr.hts"

It didn't give any indication as to whether this should be done before or after the main kodi build, so I assumed that it should be done before. I therefore ran it after the crossguid, flatbuffers and libfmt builds, but before the main kodi build. This appeared to build and install a lot of pvr.hts related stuff into the xbmc-18.0-Leia directory. I then proceeded to configure the build for X11, and finally build kodi.

On examining the build, there is no trace of pvr.hts anywhere in the final build, and running kodi tells me that I don't have pvr.hts installed!

Clearly I've missed something, but what? Any chance of some clues from the developers, please?

I have to say that much of the documentation for 18 is very confusing and difficult to find. Most of it is aimed at Ubuntu or Debian, and many of the links take you to pages for 17.X instead of 18.

TIA,

--
Pete
OK, digging around even further, it looks as if running the above mentioned script in the xbmc-18.0-Leia directory does indeed install pvr.hts on my system - at least, I can find the libraries where they are meant to be! Unfortunately, I still have no idea how to get Kodi to recognise / install / enable them. There are no options to add pvr.hts anywhere in addons that I can find!

For the moment, I've reverted to 17.6 which, for my purposes, is functioning much better!

--
Pete
Well after a lot of faffing about, I've managed to create slackbuilds that will build both kodi-18 and the addons into slackware packages that can be installed, upgraded and removed by the standard slackware package tools. The whole gory story is here:

slackware, kodi-18 and addons

Please note that this build has only been tried on slackware-current, with AlienBob's Plasma5 upgrade. The final slackbuilds are towards the end of the thread. Use at your own risk, but they are working fine for me.

--
Pete