Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Box for kodi and netflix
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Looking for a cheap kodi box that does netflix too

Also, been a while since i've been here.
I saw leia is out, nice job for the team,but what about netflix support?
Does it do that already?
even 4k?
Hi,

From the START HERE thread in the sticky section, top of forum Read this....

..The Best Of - categorised - media players on the market (click)

and..

1080p/4K Netflix and Amazon Video streaming

Q. I need a Kodi box that can play 1080p or 4K DRM copy protected video streams such as Netflix, Amazon Video etc. ?

Important NOTE: Unless you have a HDMI connected Dolby Digital Plus Audio receiver, expect 2.0 Audio only from DD+ copy protected streaming Apps running on ALL - Android TV platforms like the Shield, Mi Box and Jetstream 4k Ultra HD.

If you have older Dolby Digital 5.1 only capable audio receiver hardware, only specific hardware platforms such as the Apple TV's, and Amazon Fire TV's can do Netflix / Amazon / VUDU / iTunes - DD+ 5.1 to DD/AC3 5.1 audio downmixing to support DD only audio receivers.

The Apple TV's also do DD+ > multichannel LPCM decoding to support older HDMI connected AVR's.
The Apple TV 4/4K can also do Netflix App - auto Frame Rate Matching (click) - the only media player that can do so. Results are superb !

Only very specific devices, noted below can run the Amazon Prime Video App properly.

Viewing Paid for movies on numerous hardware platforms is now possible with Movies Anywhere (click)

1080p/4K Android Netflix / Amazon (Prime) Video is only possible on media players boxes that include Widevine L1 & HDCP 1.x/2.2 support in device Firmware. Prime Video also needs Microsoft Playready DRM.

• PLUG N Play:
  • Ematic Jetstream 4K Ultra HD (4K HDR Netflix)
  • NVIDIA Shield (4K HDR Netflix / 4K HDR Amazon Prime Video / 4K VUDU)
  • Apple TV 3/4 (1080p)
  • Apple TV 4K (4K HDR & DolbyVision Netflix / 4K HDR Amazon Prime Video / 4K HDR DV VUDU / 4K DolbyVision iTunes)
  • Xiaomi Mi Box (4K HDR Netflix / 4K HDR Amazon Prime Video)** Buggy Oreo Firmware, audio drops with 5.1 DD+ audio.
  • Amazon Fire TV devices, the Gen3 pendant (HDR), NEW FireTV Stick 4K (HDR / DolbyVision).
  • Intel / AMD x86-64 computers with GeForce GT 1030 or later Nvidia graphics card solution running Win10, using either dedicated Apps or a Web Browser. See HERE (click) for details.

• Flash DIY Android TV ROM's:
    (Can only get 1080p Netflix with a special, difficult to use - tablet / mouse version of Netflix OR use the Kodi Leia Netflix Addon)
  • MECOOL "Pro" series of devices (1080p SDR Netflix only)
  • ABOX A4 (1080p Netflix)
  • WeTek Hub & Play2** (1080p SDR Netflix)
  • MINIX U9-H (1080p SDR Netflix
  • Do NOT rely on DIY, Android TV ROM devices, if copy protected video streaming is a must have requirement now and into the future.
    ** devices with Strikes thru them due to uncertified Netflix device status and the Android TV Netflix App now Not working at all.

Cheapest and most powerful = Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K. It has the best Wireless remote in the business. See Page #1 of it's thread.
Do not use it to watch Broadcast TV that has deinterlacing content - from a home networked TV server.

For those Android devices with Widevine L1 DRM, you should also be able to get 1080p Netflix reliably with the Kodi Leia Netflix Addon (click) - tested on the MINIX U9.
(Wonderwoman, Aquaman streamed the highest bitrate 1920x1080p immediately)

It's an excellent addition by the Kodi devs. so non Netflix approved devices can use stream Netflix, but using an actual Netflix App on a properly Netflix certified device I find easier and more reliable.

I've been playing around with that Netflix Addon in the last few days on a Rockchip RK3399 development board running (Linux) LibreELEC 9.0 Kodi Leia.
That device has the CPU ponies to do smooth 1080p SW decoded Netflix - but getting the Addon to stream 1080p from the Netflix servers is hit and miss (eg. Wonderwoman, Aquaman seem to max out at 960x540p)
what about google chromecast v3?
will that do?
can i put kodi on?
edit: or maybe chromecast ultra?
(2019-02-04, 11:02)Skank Wrote: [ -> ]what about google chromecast v3?
will that do?
can i put kodi on?
 you cannot install *anything* to a Chromecast.  Where did you get the idea that you can install Kodi on one?
(2019-02-04, 17:33)Matt Devo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-02-04, 11:02)Skank Wrote: [ -> ]what about google chromecast v3?
will that do?
can i put kodi on?
 you cannot install *anything* to a Chromecast.  Where did you get the idea that you can install Kodi on one? 
here , just found this
https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-...chromecast
That has to be the worst bit of inaccurate journalism I've read in a while.

If you actually read it, it's describing how to cast Kodi to a Chromecast (and even then it's actually describing how to cast another devices screen that happens to have Kodi displayed and playing on it) rather than actually installing it anywhere other than the casting device.

It's basically wrong, the instructions do not fulfil the promise of the title. I would wonder if the author of the article actually knew a damn thing about what he was talking about (or even wrote it originally).
(2019-02-04, 17:41)Skank Wrote: [ -> ]here , just found this
https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-...chromecast 

that person doesn't understand the meaning of the word 'install'

95% of tech blogs are just regurgitating things they don't understand, are incorrect, or are press releases.  It's a fucking sea of garbage out there.
(2019-02-04, 02:27)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ] For those Android devices with Widevine L1 DRM, you should also be able to get 1080p Netflix reliably with the Kodi Leia Netflix Addon (click) - tested on the MINIX U9.

It's an excellent addition by the Kodi devs. so non Netflix approved devices can use stream Netflix
How did you get proper Netflix ESN? On my KM8 box it is not shown under Settings->About.
Do you need to put all milion caracters or just some part of ESN to Inputstream?
(2019-02-03, 20:52)Skank Wrote: [ -> ]Looking for a cheap kodi box that does netflix too

Also, been a while since i've been here.
I saw leia is out, nice job for the team,but what about netflix support?
Does it do that already?
even 4k?

4K Kodi Bluray Rips playback need a device with Gigabit Ethernet.
Users with devices without GigaE usually get USB3 > Gigabit Ethernet adapter. See Page #1 of Fire TV Stick 4K thread.

The Netflix capable Fire TV Stick 4K, Mi Box, Jetstream 4K Ultra all have issues with direct connected NTFS (exFat as well I believe) formatted Hard Drives, which means they are no good for greater than 4GB - Bluray Rips playback from a Hard Drive.

Cheapest, most powerful Netflix 4K Kodi capable media player = Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K. Also does nice stuff like Netflix and Kodi auto Frame Rate Matching.

(2019-02-04, 20:08)Sholander Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-02-04, 02:27)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ] For those Android devices with Widevine L1 DRM, you should also be able to get 1080p Netflix reliably with the Kodi Leia Netflix Addon (click) - tested on the MINIX U9.

It's an excellent addition by the Kodi devs. so non Netflix approved devices can use stream Netflix
How did you get proper Netflix ESN? On my KM8 box it is not shown under Settings->About.
Do you need to put all million characters or just some part of ESN to Inputstream?

Never had to put anything into ESN box when using Android Kodi Leia or Linux Kodi Leia. It seem to auto populate.

I've not tested any of the Mecool devices with the Netflix Addon. It could be their Widevine L1 keys have somehow been blacklisted if users are having trouble.
Is it possible to get Netflix/Amazon Prime 4K and Atmos from within the Kodi app on the FireTV Stick 4K?
This would be great as Netflix doesn't support framerate switching on the FTV Stick 4K.