Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Blu Ray Menus Not Working in v.18
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I cannot get Blu Ray menu support to work in v. 18 (my Kodi version # and system specs are listed below). 

I have ripped all of my Blu Ray discs to a NAS, which I connect to via NFS.  The files are in BDMV format (i.e., BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders).  I have no problem playing these Blu Ray movies in Kodi unless I want it to show Blu Ray menus.   Specifically, in Kodi Settings, when I go to Player/Discs, and then try to select "Show Blu Ray Menu" I receive the message "BD-J MENU ERROR - There was an error encountered loading Java, so BD-J menus will not be functional at this time.  BD-J menus require the Java Runtime Environment so make sure this is installed and functioning on your system."

I have JRE installed from ppa:linuxuprising/java.  I entered the following in Terminal to confirm that I have JRE and it is functional:

$ which java
/usr/bin/java
$ ls -l /usr/bin/java
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Feb  2 10:54 /usr/bin/java -> /etc/alternatives/java
$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/java
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 Feb  3 11:34 /etc/alternatives/java -> /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-oracle/bin/java
$ echo $JAVA_HOME
/usr/lib/jvm/java-11-oracle
$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/java-11-oracle/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/java-11-oracle/db/bin

Is this a bug that is preventing JRE from working, or is there something more that I need to configure?

Here is my debug log (log of me trying to select "Show Blu Ray Menu" is settings, and then trying - and failing - to play the movie Atomic Blonde): imuxiyakas (paste)

My system specs are as follows:
CPU: Intel i7-7820X @3.6 GHZ 
Total Memory: 16 GB (Free Memory 13.1 GB)
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB/PCIE/SSE2
OpenGL Version 4.6.0 NVIDIA 415.27
Screen: 1920x1080@60 hz – Full Screen
Kodi 18.0 GIT:20190128-D81C34C
I installed Kodi from the ppa, and Linux Update Manage automatically updated it to v. 18 when it was available.

Will be happy to provide any more info.
There have been Bluray/DVD troubles in other OS'ses, which are being looked into. If the fix is generic, it should work in Linux as well.

For example here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2817051
why oracle java 11?

Code:
$ apt depends libbluray-bdj
libbluray-bdj
  Depends: libbluray2 (>= 1:1.0.2-3)
  Depends: libbluray2 (<< 1:1.0.2-3.1~)
  Depends: openjdk-8-jre-headless
  Depends: libasm-java
so simply installing libbluray-bdj should install the correct jre automatically
I'm a bit of a newbie, so the coding part of your reply went over my head.

As for why Oracle 11, I had Open JDK on my system (think it was part of the Cinnamon distro) when I upgraded to Kodi v. 18, and I had the same problem.  No menus because Kodi could not load JRE.  Tried to figure out why, and saw a few posts saying that Open JDK is usually (but not always) good enough, and that some programs require Oracle JRE, so my first attempt at fixing the problem was to install Oracle JDK.  As for why 11, I just went with the most recent version.  But I had the problem before I installed Oracle 11.
Many thanks wsnipex! 

Uninstalled all the Java related programs I had installed, then ran:

$ sudo apt install libbluray-bdj

Now blu ray menus play perfectly.  Shy

Thanks again.
(2019-02-08, 00:58)SoCalMichael Wrote: [ -> ]Many thanks wsnipex! 

Uninstalled all the Java related programs I had installed, then ran:

$ sudo apt install libbluray-bdj

Now blu ray menus play perfectly.  Shy

Thanks again.

Dear SoCalMichael,

Can you explain what you have done?
I dont understand what does it mean... 

Thanks,
that command installs the needed library for bluray menus on Ubuntu Linux.
You type it in a terminal.