Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Use "ok" button on TV box remote control for both "select" and display OSD.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My TV box is Himedia Q5 Pro. The operating system is Android 7.x. My TV box came with Google Play Store.

My Kodi has been updated to version 18.

In Kodi version 17.x, Kodi detect my TV box's IR remote control as new controller, and I was prompted to configure it. I configured the arrow buttons as navigation, "Ok" button to select thing. In main menu screen, pressing the Ok button on my IR remote control will enter submenu. When playing video, pressing the "Ok" button will make kodi display the OSD. When kodi was displaying the OSD, I can then use the remote control to select subtitles, audio tracks, etc.

Then, the Kodi in my TV box had been automatically updated to Kodi version 18 without my knowledge. I am ok with this. After the update to version 18, Kodi again detect my IR remote control as new controller, and I was prompted to configure it. Again, I configured the arrow buttons for navigation, "Ok" button to select thing. In main menu screen, pressing the OK button will select thing and enter the submenu. When Kodi was playing video, pressing the "Ok" button will make the video pause instead of displaying the OSD.

I want to configure the actions of "Ok" button as follows:
1. When Kodi displaying the main menu, pressing the "Ok" button will enter submenu of the selected item.
2. When playing video, pressing the "Ok" button will make Kodi display the OSD.
3. When Kodi displaying the OSD, I can use the combination of arrow buttons + ok buttons to change the audio track, subtitles, etc.

In other words, make the "Ok" button behave like what happened when using Kodi version 17.x.

How to achieve this?
I just found my HiMedia Q10 pro upgraded to Kodi 18 and the IR remote didn't function at all.  Using a wireless keyboard I went to the "system" page and under "input" I added a controller profile for "TV remote".   That added some of the functions I needed to navigate.   Following someone else's advice, I disabled the joystick.  Now my IR remote works as before.  Both the OK button and the Exit button function correctly.

I hope this helps.
Thanks to Capt_Marvel's reply.

I disabled joystick support, and the IR remote control now working.

It seems like some bugs in joystick support.
It's most likely the disabling of the joystick that solves the problem.   One other thing you might want to do.  If you don't wish to have Kodi update automatically, go to your Play store settings and disable automatic updates. This is where my sudden and unrequested update originated from.  There isn't a feature within Kodi that is responsible for updating for the operating system.... only add-ons.
thanks all! that works!
Experiencing the same problem, but these fixes didn't work for me. It was working fine until a week or two ago, and now the OK button and back buttons do nothing.  I tried disable the joystick driver and adding TV remote as a controller, but same issue.