Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Leia - „show information“ in file mode not working as expected
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, in Kodi 17 the function „show information“ in file mode (for a video file with no information in the librabry) was starting the playback. Now in Kodi 18 the same function „show information“ opens the virtual keyboard to rename the file name. How I can change this back to play the video file as it was in Kodi 17? Thanks in advance.
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
(2019-02-10, 19:55)DaVu Wrote: [ -> ]To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

Sure I can do this BUT please keep in mind this is not really a bug related to my installation. I could reproduce this on 4 different devices: FireTV 1Gen (android), FireTV 4K (android), Shield TV (android) and on PC (Windows 10), all with latest Kodi 18.

Everyone can reproduce this within 5 seconds:
1) Go to section "Video" -> "Files" -> search for a video file not in library
2) While the video file is selected press "i" or "context menu -> show information"
3) a virtual keyboard appear to allow renaming the file name. In previous Kodi 15, 16 and 17 the playback started.

I'm wondering no one else is complaining about this.
So let's sum this up, to see if I understand correctly...

I add a source and set the content to "Movies". From that source some items are scraped into the library and some are not (those would be the ones with "no information at the library").

I then navigate to "Videos" -> "Files" and then I enter the source to get the file view of the items where some are scanned into the library and some are not.

if I then press "i" Kodi normally tries to scan the item to the library as it does not have any information. So it tries to get some. If the scraping doesn't find any matching information on the online service (TMDB for example) because the filename might be wrong because of a typo or whatever, Kodi opens a virtual keyboard and the name should already be included to be able to modify the filename. That's expected behaviour and it has been in that way for Kodi 17 for sure.

If!! Kodi plays the file while I press "Show information" I highly guess that this would be a real bug as "Show information" should never play back an item.

Hence I'm asking for a Debug Log to see what you are actually doing. Beside providing the log, you could explain step-by-step how to reproduce your issue

I set up some testing here and created a folder called "Bid_Daddy" (yes, that's a typo. The movie is normally called "Big Daddy" and the typo is done on purpose). I then placed some little video-file at this folder and named that also "Bid_Daddy.mp4" (again, the typo). See:

Quote:davu@davu-Laptop-E-series:~/Videos/Kodi/Filme$ ls -R
.:
Bid_Daddy

./Bid_Daddy:
Bid_Daddy.mp4
davu@davu-Laptop-E-series:~/Videos/Kodi/Filme$

Then I tried to scrape that and ofc, Kodi can't find anything on TMDB because of the wrong filename.

As you can see, there's no information available for the item:

If I then either press "i" to get the information Kodi tries to get some:

As Kodi can't find any, I get the virtual keyboard which is expected:
Which then ofc contains the wrong filename which I'm now able to edit.

If I try to use the context menu, there's no "Show information" available as the item doesn't have any:

So, to make a long story short, I can't reproduce your problem in that way. Please explain the way you are able to reproduce and please do it step by step and please don't forget to add your Debug Log as that's most likely mandatory for such problems to see at which section you are, which buttons you pressed and so on. No need to explain myself why I would like to see logfile Wink

Thanks in advance
Dang! You helped me to solve the issue!

As you said, the "show information" try to scrap for the content in the folder and if it can't be found then the virtual keyboard appears. But why the scrapper is getting triggered? For my own files (recorded by my VU+ 4K to the NAS) there's no information in IMDB or any database so I don't want any scrpper to get triggered. That said, I have checked the CONTENT of the PARENT folder and for whatever reason, it was set to "Movie". That's the reason the scrapper was triggered while clicking on "show information".

Now, I have changed the content of the PARENT folder to "None" and et voila, when I press "OK" (which is defaulted to "show information") the playback is starting. That's exactly how it was working in Kodi 17 (and before).

Thank you very much for helping to resolve this annoying "issue".