Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Audio settings for Kodi on a Sony AF8 with external Marantz AV Amplifier
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just cannot get audio passthrough working 'correctly'!
I've read hundreds of posts on dozens of forums.

My setup is -
  • Sony 65" AF8 Android TV
  • Marantz NR1608 receiver
  • Both are connected to each other via ARC HDMI
My Kodi (installed on the TV) recently updated to 18.

Anyway, I have enabled 'passthrough' thinking that means Kodi just passes the raw audio track to my receiver? However, no matter what I play (and I've got loads of different test videos with various audio tracks - DTS, DD+ etc) my receiver only ever gets a 2 channel PCM signal.
The receiver outputs 5.1 surround from the 2 channel PCM (obviously through its own internal trickery).

I'd like the receiver to do all the decoding and this clearly isn't happening. The display on the receiver when I'm using Netflix etc. shows the audio track (Atmos, 5.1, DD+) but never with Kodi.

When I enable the various options under passthrough to confirm the receiver can decode DTS etc, then I lose all sound  - my receiver tells me the input is unrecognised. The Marantz can decode DTS!

Any clues or if anyone out there with a Sony AF8 and AV kit can tell me what settings they have used to get this working I'd be really happy to hear from you.