Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to clean up thumbnails
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
It's a question rather than a problem:

Is it an acceptable way to clean up thumbnails by removing Textures13.db and Thumbnails folder? I've learned that there exists a maintenance script which can do so (and better).

The reason I'm asking is, that I've used the necessary remove lines on my website as an example for a very simple bash script and therefore I've encouraged other potentially inexperienced users to do it this way. If you think this should not be done anymore, I will replace it with another example, but I would prefer to keep it (say to advertise KODI!).
Best wishes
Ernst
Have a look at the Texture Cache Maintenance tool.
Quote:Have a look at the Texture Cache Maintenance tool.
Thanks, but I've read this one recently and it was the reason for my question. Should I still promote the removal or would it be better to replace it with any other two line bash script?
If all artwork is stored locally next to media items, then completely removing the thumbnail cache isn't terrible, but maybe overkill.

If artwork is not stored locally but URLs to web services, then it is a terrible idea to remove all thumbnails. A large portion of them will just be downloaded again putting unnecessary load on the web services. Instead periodically use TCMU to prune the unused images from the cache.
So it's not advisable anymore, because probably many users will get their images from web resources. I'll replace it.
Thanks
The Thumbnails folder on my 16gb (which are more like 12gb) nvidia shield is almost 6gb, I wouldn't say many, because I have a big library (about 2700 movies and 86 tv series), but some of the files inside Thumbnails are from media I no longer have / removed from library or from addons. I would like to clean up all the unused images inside Thumbnails folder, I've tried a few addons but none of them seems to do the trick as they remove what it's necessary as well. Is there a way to do this, or do I have to filter and delete the unused files one by one manualy?
(2020-06-01, 21:07)BrunoNRG Wrote: [ -> ]The Thumbnails folder on my 16gb (which are more like 12gb) nvidia shield is almost 6gb, I wouldn't say many, because I have a big library (about 2700 movies and 86 tv series), but some of the files inside Thumbnails are from media I no longer have / removed from library or from addons. I would like to clean up all the unused images inside Thumbnails folder, I've tried a few addons but none of them seems to do the trick as they remove what it's necessary as well. Is there a way to do this, or do I have to filter and delete the unused files one by one manualy?
See Post #4
(2020-06-01, 21:07)BrunoNRG Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a way to do this

You could also delete the Textures13.db database file, and the whole Thumbnails folder.
Then restart Kodi, and all the caching will start from the beginning. Only the active videos will have thumbs again.
Personally I'd recommend Milhouse's Texture Cache Utility script for such a purpose.
(2020-06-02, 08:04)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]You could also delete the Textures13.db database file, and the whole Thumbnails folder.
Then restart Kodi, and all the caching will start from the beginning. Only the active videos will have thumbs again.

Already tried that, but most active videos didn't get their thumbs back, restored my backup, and I'm right back where I started.

(2020-06-02, 11:13)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Personally I'd recommend Milhouse's Texture Cache Utility script for such a purpose.

Can it be used in Android Tv OS, also, it only deletes unused thumbnails?
The script is a Python script, so it needs Python installed to run. Whether that can be done on an Android TV I have no idea.

There are a number of functions that it can perform (as detailed in the page I linked to), but by default yes it only removes orphaned thumbnails.