Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: browsing SMB workgroup is no longer working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Guys,
I have an issue where I could browse my workgroup network and see all the machines connected to that workgroup and now I can no longer see them. I had to add them in manually.
I'm not sure what changed. I am using the below setup

Nvidia Shield TV over WIFI
SMB is Open Media Vault, the latest version
I have 2 hard drives that I am sharing out

Like I said from the time I started using Kodi and using OMV I could browse these connections. I also tested this out on my phone with Kodi and I cannot browse them as well. All other apps
I have tested see them without issue (Nvidia Shield, Total Commander, ES file explorer) on my phone I have tested ASUS file manager and that can see the share. So I am not sure what changed.
It seemed like this changed after I was experimenting with having 2 routers act as access points sharing the same SSID. In the end I removed this because I didn't see any range gain but it was always
the same WIFI connection name. The phone is connected to the 2.4 radio and again that one cannot see it inside Kodi as well, or cannot browse it.

I feel like if I could just have a fresh button in Kodi when were it is browsing the share that it may pick it up but there is no refresh button. Nvidia Shield is fine on the network with Netflix and other services.
Using the manual connection I can access and stream my content. Kodi and update and install add ons. Kodi is set to default settings for SMB lowest client is none and highest is v3.

I've installed Kodi many times over the course of the original setup and each time I could browse. Now for some reason it stopped working.

Does anyone have an idea what happened?

thanks
Only SMB1 has the browsing capability, so it sounds like your shield is using SMB2 or SMB3 to connect (as you've given it the full range of options to use).

SMB2 and SMB3 are much better for security (SMB1 has had some major issues - search for "WannaCry" for example - and has been disabled by default by MS in Win10 and is not recommended for use these days). So it's up to you to decide whether you want security or the browsing capability.
thanks I read about the security issues in the forum. I'm fine the way it is just thought it was odd that one minute it worked and then next it stopped working. Was that a recent update to the shield?
There I have no idea, as I don't own one. It just sounds like the "standard" issue between the different Samba versions (or at least one of them).
cool thanks for the reply. As long as I can map them I am fine. Wasn't sure what changed and if maybe I broke something.
you know what is odd. It just came back, not sure how but now when I browse it shows up. The only thing I changed was the location of my access point in the house. I wanted to move it closer to the room where I have my Shield TV.

I also looked at my smb.conf and didn't see any reference to limiting the smb version.
You said in your first post that you'd given it full range ("Kodi is set to default settings for SMB lowest client is none and highest is v3") so it'll be in there somewhere.

It sounds like maybe WINS or something like that is also still in operation, and your box happened to be the master browser after the access point was shutdown and moved.

It's always fun and games for this kind of set-up. Hence why NFS or something like that is much more simple and robust.
do you feel NFS is faster or will perform better than SMB? Yes the default settings are None and smbv3
I have heard anecdotal evidence that it is supposed to be faster, and I use it at home between my NAS and Pi's and don't see any issues with it.
It's faster when you set it up once to share files over a home network and then NEVER have to touch it again. Wink

Meanwhile the SMB protocol has had all manner of time wasting issues and user headaches.....
thanks, I need to try it out. I was planning on doing NFS at first but since I was a little more familiar with Samba I went in that directions.
Not sure if this is the same issue, but I was able to fix it by creating a new account on my Windows PC, but this time no Microsoft account, just a local account. Provided that account administrator rights and voila... everything was up and running. Got the error for a few more times and then it was good.
(2019-02-14, 18:52)Plantje Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if this is the same issue, but I was able to fix it by creating a new account on my Windows PC, but this time no Microsoft account, just a local account. Provided that account administrator rights and voila... everything was up and running. Got the error for a few more times and then it was good.
 my windows access was fine. I couldn't browse it but I could use the IP or hostname. I tested the NFS share and it came right up on first click. I need access both ways, from my desktop and from the Shield TV. So I can copy new rips to the share.
This has annoyingly happened me as of yesterday due to a Windows update and can't find a fix for this anywhere. SMB worked fine until yesterday now all i get is "Connection Timed Out"
I don't know if this is a help, but sometimes I can't browse smb, and it seems like it's due to a win 10 1803 machine taking over master browser (other than my NAS all my systems are windows platform).  I stop the workstation service on the win 10 machine  and bam, everything is browsable again (I have not stopped SMB 1).  I assume one of the other win machines picked up master browser.  The win 10 machine eventually restarts workstation service but master browser doesn't move unless I reboot the machine which picked up master browser.  Also if you are moving or setting up access points, keep in mind SMB doesn't route (I don't think) so you need to make sure your access points are bridging your subnet.

scott s.
Pages: 1 2