Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2019-05-28, 19:22)Sholander Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-05-28, 17:45)runningnaked Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone tried Hi10p (h264 10bit) anime with the N2?
H264 Hi10P is not hardware supported on N2, it will use software decoding; so I guess 720p is max you can expect...     

@runningnaked your sample, Hi10p with 16 ReFrames, plays without problems on my N2 with latest nightly, so my guess was wrong Smile
(2019-05-29, 20:33)binhex01 Wrote: [ -> ]Yep that worked, playback was flawless, no video or audio problems that I could see, very smooth panning.

(2019-05-30, 00:50)Sholander Wrote: [ -> ]@runningnaked your sample, Hi10p with 16 ReFrames, plays without problems on my N2 with latest nightly, so my guess was wrong Smile

@binhex01 and @Sholander thank you both very much for testing it out and confirming for me. That file is pretty representative of the recent anime files I've been watching, so it looks like an N2 is in my future! Smile

@Sam.Nazarko I'm still keeping my Vero4k+ though. Love this thing!
Hey, I just got an Odroid N2 and was wondering: should I enable hardware acceleration?
What would be the advantages and the disadvantages?

I know it is supposed to take some load off the CPU, but in case a video plays fine with it disabled, should I enable it anyways?
(2019-06-30, 20:28)DarkSphere00 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, I just got an Odroid N2 and was wondering: should I enable hardware acceleration?
What would be the advantages and the disadvantages?

I know it is supposed to take some load off the CPU, but in case a video plays fine with it disabled, should I enable it anyways?

advantages: low cpu, disadvantages: none 
enough said really :-)
(2019-05-26, 20:37)CraigHB Wrote: [ -> ]I almost bought a Chinese Android box when I first started looking into Kodi, cheap way to try it, but I quickly got away from that idea.  General purpose SBC seems the best way to go with Kodi on Linux.
What other decent SBC boxes are available apart from Odroid C2/N2 and (to a lesser extent) RPi?
(2019-07-03, 13:38)dexx Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-05-26, 20:37)CraigHB Wrote: [ -> ]I almost bought a Chinese Android box when I first started looking into Kodi, cheap way to try it, but I quickly got away from that idea.  General purpose SBC seems the best way to go with Kodi on Linux.
What other decent SBC boxes are available apart from Odroid C2/N2 and (to a lesser extent) RPi?     
Haven't been on the forum much so sorry for the late reply. 

There's several AMLogic SBCs supported by CoreELEC.  Of course the Odroid-N2 was the first of the S922X boards, but they're currently working on support for the Khadas VIM3. There's also the older S905X boards like the Odroid-C2, Libre Computer Le Potato, and Khadas VIM2.

Unless you're really intent on saving a couple bucks you'll get the best support for AMlogic with one of those.  There's always limitations running CoreELEC on an AMLogic Android box like those cheap ones you see a dime a dozen.  For example they're having a lot of issues getting the Bee-link GT King working right and it's already been said there will be limitations with that one.

If you're looking to go outside AMLogic, for example an RPi4, then you would be using LibreELEC which supports the RPi's Broadcom platform.  CoreELEC only supports AMLogic. The AMLogic S922X is actually more powerful than the RPi4 since the chipset is designed for media applications.  Has better video acceleration and more powerful processing.
(2019-07-08, 07:51)CraigHB Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-07-03, 13:38)dexx Wrote: [ -> ]
Haven't been on the forum much so sorry for the late reply. 

There's several AMLogic SBCs supported by CoreELEC.  Of course the Odroid-N2 was the first of the S922X boards, but they're currently working on support for the Khadas VIM3. There's also the older S905X boards like the Odroid-C2, Libre Computer Le Potato, and Khadas VIM2.

Beware - I'm pretty certain the ODroid C2 is an S905 not an S905X box - so has zero support for HDR.
(2019-07-08, 11:45)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Beware - I'm pretty certain the ODroid C2 is an S905 not an S905X box - so has zero support for HDR.
I hear HDI and 10 bit mentioned a lot in the context of some players not handling 4K bluray rips.
I need to read up on whether its actually a big issue.
(2019-07-15, 09:59)dexx Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-07-08, 11:45)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Beware - I'm pretty certain the ODroid C2 is an S905 not an S905X box - so has zero support for HDR.
I hear HDI and 10 bit mentioned a lot in the context of some players not handling 4K bluray rips.
I need to read up on whether its actually a big issue.  

If you only want to watch regular Blu-ray HD movies - then HDR and 10-bit support are less of an issue.

If you want to watch 4K content - then a large proportion of this is sourced from UHD HDR Blurays which are HEVC/h.265 10-bit and used HDR10 - and thus HEVC/h.265 10-bit HDR10 compatibility is required for playback of these.  If you only have an SDR display, then you also need a platform capable of playing 10-bit HEVC/h.265 HDR10 content AND tone mapping it to SDR. (Without this your content will play, but the content will look totally washed out, desaturated and 'flat')

Another format that is around us h.264 10-but (h.265=4 Hi10) This format isn't used in consumer content, but is popular for fan-shared anime. It's not a format that is widely supported for hardware decode (*) - so most platforms have to software decode it, which means a more powerful CPU is required than for other codecs that can be software decoded. A couple of very modern multicore ARM SoCs now have enough CPU power to do this for 720p and 1080p h.264 Hi10 content. (Apple TV 4K, ODroid N2 both seem to)

Beware of confusing HEVC/h.265 10-bit hardware acceleration support (which is now widespread) with h.264 10-bit hardware acceleration support (which is not widespread)

(*) Some Rockchip SoCs DO support h.264 10-bit hardware decode - which caused a bit of a surprise in the Kodi community.
Just wanted to confirm here before placing my order for the Odroid N2.
Can it do Netflix 4K or not ?
@bym007 if you plan to use the Android app, no, it will not do 1080p or 4K. There is an alternative though, there is a Kodi pluginthat works very well. I am using it in Kodi for Android. There is even an HBO GO plugin (for European countries).
(2019-07-26, 09:16)tmihai20 Wrote: [ -> ]@bym007 if you plan to use the Android app, no, it will not do 1080p or 4K. There is an alternative though, there is a Kodi pluginthat works very well. I am using it in Kodi for Android. There is even an HBO GO plugin (for European countries).

I am not into Android. I am looking to get full flavour Kodi (using CE or LE). Does that do Netflix 4K using the addon ?
(2019-07-26, 08:46)bym007 Wrote: [ -> ]Just wanted to confirm here before placing my order for the Odroid N2.

I have not tested it but I doubt even the powerful N2 has enough CPU ponies to Software decode 4K Netflix.

1080p Max. only.

And even then you only get reliable 1080p Netflix streams of Netflix originally produced content when using that Kodi Netflix Addon on all Kodi devices.

Other content like Movies often ends up streaming in 540p
(2019-07-26, 09:39)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-07-26, 08:46)bym007 Wrote: [ -> ]Just wanted to confirm here before placing my order for the Odroid N2.

I have not tested it but I doubt even the powerful N2 has enough CPU ponies to Software decode 4K Netflix.

1080p Max. only.

And even then you only get reliable 1080p Netflix streams of Netflix originally produced content when using that Kodi Netflix Addon on all Kodi devices.

If not, what else is comparable out there which can do 4K Netflix ?
(2019-07-26, 09:42)bym007 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-07-26, 09:39)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]

1080p Max. only.

If not, what else is comparable out there which can do 4K Netflix ?

NVIDIA Shield, FireTV Stick 4K or the ultimate Netflix streamer IMHO the Apple TV 4K, due to Atmos, 4K DolbyVision and Netflix Frame Rate Matching.