Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2021-03-21, 11:59)nsnhd Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-18, 10:56)ebol Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, I'm wondering if Odroid N2+ is a right choice for my next build. Please tell me, in order to take advantage of hevc 10bit 4k hardware decoding, what OS should I be running? Can it be an Android or is CoreELEC the only choice? To be honest, I really would like to have a web browser and Kodi running, like I do it now on my x86 htpc.

What's about LibreElec ? It has Chrome built-in with Kodi 19
BTW, boxes with S905X4 AV1 hardware decoding  come to market

Stay with coreelec for now, libreelec is using mainline kernel, so odroid n2 or any amlogic chip still doesnt have full hardware accelerated video decoding.
@ebol: why would you need a browser on a media playback machine? Anything I need (like downloading anything from a website) I do it on my phone, my desktop or my laptop. As a matter of fact, my CoreElec N2 has ssh and samba enabled, but all media is coming from my NAS. I would not trade the optimizations done on CoreElec on another distro for the sake of the browser. There is a Web Viewer that you can install as an addon or other addons that enable other browsers (check this topic right HERE).
@tmihai20: well its a matter of habit I suppose. Currently I use my desktop htpc mainly to play media using kodi, but also to search and download new media content. I don't have a NAS, my medias is stored on the htpc. And as you said, I've also "would not trade the optimizations done on CoreElec on another distro for the sake of the browser." That why I'm trying to figure out if the odroid board is the right way for me Smile
I just realized there is a CoreElec 19.1-Matrix RC1 release available (my N2 is on 9.2.7 right now). Has anybody installed this version? I am not entirely sure if this is a stable update and if we are supposed to update to 19.x-Matrix manually once.
(2021-03-28, 14:48)tmihai20 Wrote: [ -> ]I just realized there is a CoreElec 19.1-Matrix RC1 release available (my N2 is on 9.2.7 right now). Has anybody installed this version? I am not entirely sure if this is a stable update and if we are supposed to update to 19.x-Matrix manually once.

It's a RC_1 so still work in progress. You have to update manually, and all info needed can be found here
To my surprise, my N2 auto-updated from 19.0 to the 19.1-RC yesterday. But after initial problems with installing 19.0 cleanly and consulting the CE forum on fixes and workarounds, it does run very well now on the 19.1-RC.
@Sholander @M4tt0 thank you both. I will backup my SD card and I will attempt an update sometime this week (hope to have time for it).
(2021-03-28, 14:48)tmihai20 Wrote: [ -> ]I just realized there is a CoreElec 19.1-Matrix RC1 release available (my N2 is on 9.2.7 right now). Has anybody installed this version? I am not entirely sure if this is a stable update and if we are supposed to update to 19.x-Matrix manually once.

If it adds any comfort at all, it is stable for me on my N2+ unit after running it for about a week.
Been running several Odroid N2's with CoreElec KODI for a few months now with the Aeon Nox Silvo skin. Weird thing is some have freezing problems (requiring reboot) and unresponsive remotes/missed button clicks with the Odroid remote and others don't seem to have any issues. Anyone experienced similar issues?

Another question I have is about Android Steam-link on these boxes. I did run Android Kodi on Android 9 on a 16gb emmc card on one of my N2's for a while as at the time I needed to use my providers Cable TV Android app on it. Seemed to run without issue. No longer needed that functionality when I got a new Virgin 360 mini multiroom box for that room so I converted that Android N2 back to being a CoreElec box. Remind me again what are the downsides of using KODI Android instead of CoreElec Kodi, as I plan to convert 2 of the Odroid N2 boxes from CoreElec back to Android Kodi to allow me to use these little boxes as Steam-Link Client boxes too.
For me, the noticeable difference was that the Android OS (Pie) presented me with frame grabbing issues. Video would basically jerk for a couple of frames every one to two seconds, which was particularly noticeable in wide camera panning shots. Going to CoreELEC did away with that and resulted in buttery smooth video.

For the record, I'm using CoreELEC Matrix 19.1 RC1 on an N2+ with 4GB RAM and 64GB eMMC. Skin is Embuary, as I'm an Emby user with the emby-next-gen add-on, and only running the YouTube add-on to complete the suite. So far, so good. I'll be adding the Twitch app for it shortly as well. I like to do things piecemeal in case an add-on does then trigger problems for me.
(2021-04-01, 02:30)Artstar Wrote: [ -> ]For me, the noticeable difference was that the Android OS (Pie) presented me with frame grabbing issues. Video would basically jerk for a couple of frames every one to two seconds, which was particularly noticeable in wide camera panning shots. Going to CoreELEC did away with that and resulted in buttery smooth video.

For the record, I'm using CoreELEC Matrix 19.1 RC1 on an N2+ with 4GB RAM and 64GB eMMC. Skin is Embuary, as I'm an Emby user with the emby-next-gen add-on, and only running the YouTube add-on to complete the suite. So far, so good. I'll be adding the Twitch app for it shortly as well. I like to do things piecemeal in case an add-on does then trigger problems for me.

Right. Thats not good. I do recall reading about a dualboot option (ie. CoreElec Kodi on an SD card and Android and Steam-Link app on my 16b eMMC) during previous research but I also seem to remember it sounding very complicated to set up. Will have to look into that again.
Try it anyway. Your mileage may vary. I work in TV, so I notice a lot of things that others don't. Many who watched movies with me when I previously had my Intel NUC never noticed the annoying frame grabbing phenomenon I had with that. Smile
(2021-03-31, 22:52)calibos Wrote: [ -> ]Weird thing is some have freezing problems (requiring reboot) and unresponsive remotes/missed button clicks with the Odroid remote and others don't seem to have any issues. Anyone experienced similar issues?
I have had an issue with my N2 since 9.2.2 where some videos (particularly x265) will sometimes refuse to play. I just get a black screen - no navigation. When i press stop it takes 30 seconds to go back to the menu.
At other times, the same video will play fine.  I think its my own N2 problem (faulty) since noone else is having the issue.
how well does this device play 4k h265 10 bit no HDR and HDR etc when android tv is the OS
and running kodi on it?
(2021-04-15, 12:47)madmax2 Wrote: [ -> ]how well does this device play 4k h265 10 bit no HDR and HDR etc when android tv is the OS
and running kodi on it?

When you say 4K h265 no HDR - do you mean playing back SDR 10-bit files, or HDR 10-bit files but output to an SDR display with tone mapping ?

I've had zero issues playing 10-bit SDR h.265 1080p files (mastered myself from 10-bit AVCi100 4:2:2 1080i sources) on my N2 (I don't have an N2+)