Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Speed Charts for Videos
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, is there a sorta general list of what speed is needed for video size/rates?

Basically, I just setup a NAS. For now running WiFi because easier, but it will be ethernet by the weekend after I replace a couple of the Cat5 cables (generic, sleeves falling off, etc... running new Cat6 75' ones so, wiFi for now).

Anyways... I will be adding another Android Box eventually in the house that has to be WiFi so sorting out the issues now.

Seems laggy... video stops and I have to wait for it to load. Video doesn't seem to buffer ahead at all... if an option for that I'd like to enable it. Western Digital of course (as with all tech support) blames everything else not the unit.

Video files are, for example 1080p at around 2000kbps, maybe 600mb in size, H264 MP4. On the android box I dual boot to CoreElec, but switched to android and installed Ookla speed test and results showed WiFi at around 78Mbps both up and down. Gigabit router, 450Mbps WiFi, about 4' from the android box, WD EX2 NAS plugged directly into the router.

WD it's probably my out-datedĀ TP-Link TL-WR1043N 450 Mbps Wireless N Gigabit Router... I'm think BS, it's 2yrs old... the WD NAS was released 2yrs ago so shoulda been designed to work with that speed. Plus... not talking 4K video... for that I am sure I need ethernet, but for the small files, they should be fine.

Hoping there's a general rule type chart about bitrate vs speed needed to play it with that I can maybe use to help my case and get better tech support.