Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 4K hardware for Kodi and Netflix for tin foil hat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I'm looking for a 4k solution (preferably with hdr support) for Kodi and Netflix which respects my privacy as much as possible. I am aware of the contradiction between Netflix and privacy, but still want to retain as much privacy as possible.

For suggestions I would be grateful!
Privacy = Apple, what happens on the iPhones with iOS also applies to tvOS on the Apple TV's

And to make their point THIS (click) was done outside CES 2019 very recently.

The Apple TV review thread is https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=335219

It also happens to be the best platform for 4K HDR Atmos Netflix due to features like Frame Rate and Dynamic Range Matching working with that App.
Is there an alternative to an apple device? I do not like apple that much because iOS does not allow me to install the software I want. Instead I can only install what apple allowes me to install. I do not like being dictated how I can use my device.
if you want Netflix 4k/HDR without fiddling, that pretty much limits your choices. If you are concerned with your privacy, I'd stay away from any android based box, google snoops on everything. That leaves desktop iron and windows.
(2019-02-23, 23:49)xbianuser Wrote: [ -> ]Is there an alternative to an apple device? I do not like apple that much because iOS does not allow me to install the software I want. Instead I can only install what apple allowes me to install. I do not like being dictated how I can use my device.

So you don't like being dictated to and want an open platform, but you want privacy and tin foil hats ?

As @davilla said some other options then are Android, and with that OS you WILL get spied on for Google advertising purposes.
Thanks for your reply.

An open platform without spyware would be great Smile

At the moment I think about buying an Intel Nuc or something equivalent with an AMD processor and install Windows for the moment (afaik most of the spying features of Windows can be deactivated). Maybe I can later switch to Linux later...

Is Nividia Shield with LineageOS (https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/foster) an option to get an open plattform without spyware?

Or should I swallow the pill and by an apple device? At least this would give me the best viewing quality...