Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Leia doesn't start [debug log included].
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'd be glad if someone could help, here's the log: https://paste.kodi.tv/erituyicix.kodi

Best Regards
I'm no expert, but your graphics card is pretty damn old.
Following DX:Big GrineviceResources::CreateSwapChain: function call at line 500 ends with error: 80070057 - E_INVALIDARG down the rabbit hole https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...eswapchain looks like a DX issue, look around for beta drivers. DXVA checker from bluesky might tell you more.
Thanks. So DXVA checker says this https://imgur.com/a/vUx9MaK

What is this useful for? I installed the latest driver from January 2018, isn't that enough for Leia?

As well I just remembered Kodi worked on the same notebook when I still was using Windows 7 a month ago...
(2019-03-01, 23:13)criza Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi worked on the same notebook when I still was using Windows 7

The benefits of an upgrade Sad  MS tells us "swap chain" is an error related to screen resolutions. Suggestion: in properties of the kodi launch icon under compatibility, choose your o/s and select compatible and perhaps scaling. Disable any overlays in the background. Supported hardware (wiki) NVIDIA Quadro 2000M I'm unsure where your gfx engine fits in this wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce but it appears the driver has it's challenges.
Too bad! The 2000M seems to be similar to the GTX 460M...
Quote:The NVIDIA Quadro 2000M is a professional workstation graphics card based on the Fermi architecture (likely the GF104 or GF106). It offers the same amount of shaders like the GeForce GTX 460M, but only a 128 Bit memory bus for DDR3 memory. The slow DDR3 memory in particular could be a bottleneck to the GPU
The Quadro series offers certified drivers that are optimized for stability and performance in professional applications like CAD, DCC, medicine, or visualisation areas. OpenGL performance, for example, should be significantly better than GeForce graphics cards of similar specifications.
The shader/CUDA cores can be accessed using DirectX 11 or OpenGL 4.1 for graphics rendering and DirectCompute, OpenCL, AXE, and CUDA for general purpose calculations. Due to the new Fermi core, the 2000M should offer high performance in general purpose calculations.
So Kodi has dropped support for this driver/graphic card..!? I couldn't find any newer, beta drivers than the official ones I have from January 2018.

Might not be the best idea, but what if I try to run Leia in VirtualBox or VMWare on a Windows 7 installation...  Big Grin Angry
(2019-03-02, 14:57)criza Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi has dropped support for this driver/graphic card
From your posts, you claim windows 7 and Kodi was a good marriage with that hardware, perhaps there is other considerations at play, did you try the properties change? Wondering if in the upgrade to windows 10 you installed new windows drivers over what you had previously. If reversion is a possibility, then that avenue should be explored.
(2019-03-02, 18:23)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]From your posts, you claim windows 7 and Kodi was a good marriage with that hardware, perhaps there is other considerations at play, did you try the properties change? Wondering if in the upgrade to windows 10 you installed new windows drivers over what you had previously. If reversion is a possibility, then that avenue should be explored. 
Well, I tried the properties change, what you suggested. It didn't work. I changed drivers, didn't work. What works is if I disable the Quadro 2000M in device manager, then Kodi Leia starts without problems...so is there a setting I can set Kodi to start using the Intel HD Graphics 3000 as default, and not switch to nVIDIA, so I can leave the 2000M enabled even when starting Kodi? Thank you :-)
So another strange thing happened. I connected my W520 to the docking station and the external monitor, and guess what, Leia starts without problems on the secondary monitor. Both graphic cards enabled. The nVidia GPU activity tool even shows Kodi is using the GPU.

I am no noob at computers, but for me this is a very strange behavior. Any ideas how to fix it and be able to run Kodi without external monitor and/or without having to deactivate the GPU in device managers?
I would have said (using past user posts as reference) that you would have to make the change in the bios of the computer and at that point you would be stuck with the boot gfx engine. So your discovery is new to me and seems to be tied into Nvidia software for this allowance of the external screen. I doubt very much you have two gfx engines working at the same time (each for it's own display??)  but it's possible that there is some allowance to offload some functionality (shades of, bridge, SLI, crossfire), those gfx card guys are pretty imaginative. Your docking system may have extra functionality within that is not clearly just a wired up pass-through.  If there's a concrete solution for this, it's going to have to come from the Nvidia or Intel people, it's out of my league.

The work-round for this would be if you ever had any iteration of Kodi running previously, install a portable version for daily use, then another portable install for the time you have your external monitor plugged in... share sources. Otherwise, check out the great hardware alternatives, like the Raspberry or Shield in the hardware forum.
(2019-03-04, 21:27)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]If there's a concrete solution for this, it's going to have to come from the Nvidia or Intel people, it's out of my league.

Turns out, there is. And it's as simple as enabling the option Add "Run with graphic processor" to Context Menu in the NVIDIA Control Panel. The option is in the Desktop menu. After that I am now able to launch Kodi with my integrated Intel graphics...Voila. Thanks for the help!
Thread marked solved.
Thanks for getting back to this thread with that tip.