Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Skin in 2.39:1 whilst video is 3840 x 2160p is this possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Guys,

I finally managed to get my Windows 10 Desktop to fill my 2.39:1 screen perfectly with a resolution of 3840 x 1620. This resolution needed to be added to the AMD registry within "regedit" in Windows. I have had to add a line in the binary code of a file named "DALNonStandardModesBCD1".

Here is an image of how it looks now (the highlighted line is what I had to add).. you have to restart the PC then select it in the display resolutions once back up and running:

I now have my screen resolution for my desktop set to 3840 x 1620 which looks perfect on my scope screen, I have an issue with Kodi.

So if I set Kodi resolution as 3840 x 2160p then I have no issues, everything plays correctly at correct resolution and refresh rate, however the GUI of Kodi is 16:9 format within the 2.39:1 screen.

If I want the Kodi GUI to also be scope screen like this:

I need to select the Kodi resolution to 3840 x 1620 like the desktop resolution but I would need to also enable "Use fullscreen window" within Kodi for the GUI to fill the screen as normal for a scope screen effect like the picture above.

When I do this and start playing a movie, Kodi seems to be downscaling a 3840 x 2160p (4K) movie to the new resolution of 3840 x 1620 and the video is not smooth, it is a bit jittery..

Is there a way I could select the Kodi GUI to be scope screen like my desktop at 3840 x 1620 but have my player resolution to only be at 3840 x 2160p so it doesn't try to downscale at all?

I am not sure if any of this is making sense and apologise to post it in this thread but I thought this may be relevant as we all have projectors here and there may be some people who are experiencing the same issues or may know how to resolve this issue. Thank you again ..

By the way I am using Kodi DSPlayer with madVR as my video player if that helps answer the above or if that would make any difference.. Thanks
Estuary does support a 21:9 skin mode, Kodi normally does recognize the display's resolution.
I fear that your regedit hack doesn't fool Kodi just yet, and I also don't know how to enforce the 21:9 skin mode in Estuary.

Juggling with 21:9 videos on 16:9 displays is still a constant struggle.
A proper 21:9 monitor/projector would be one expensive solution.
(2019-03-02, 13:14)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]Estuary does support a 21:9 skin mode, Kodi normally does recognize the display's resolution.
I fear that your regedit hack doesn't fool Kodi just yet, and I also don't know how to enforce the 21:9 skin mode in Estuary.

Juggling with 21:9 videos on 16:9 displays is still a constant struggle.
A proper 21:9 monitor/projector would be one expensive solution.
 Thank you  for your prompt reply. I have a projector which is originally 16:9  format. If I select the resolution within Kodi as the same as the desktop (3840 x 1620p) and enable  "Use fullscreen window" within Kodi it will then fill the screen as normal for a scope screen effect like the picture above but when I do this and start playing a movie, Kodi seems to be downscaling a 3840 x 2160p (4K) movie to the new resolution of 3840 x 1620 and the video is not smooth, it is a bit jittery..
@Klojum is there any skin that supports 2.39:1 ? I mean the resolution of Kodi must be 3840 x 2160p so that my videos play correctly with no issues but the GUI to fit into my 2.39:1 screen?
There are no skins as far as I know that use a fixed 2.39:1 ration. Some have adopted awareness for the generic 21:9 aspect.

For some odd reason there are videos with literally more, or less, vertical lines. Are you planning a skin for each of those variants?

Some people appear to be allergic to even the smallest black bars around a video display. Use the zoom function and loose a couple of horizontal or vertical video lines. IMO you really won't miss them watching a video.
(2019-03-02, 15:31)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]There are no skins as far as I know that use a fixed 2.39:1 ration. Some have adopted awareness for the generic 21:9 aspect.

For some odd reason there are videos with literally more, or less, vertical lines. Are you planning a skin for each of those variants?

Some people appear to be allergic to even the smallest black bars around a video display. Use the zoom function and loose a couple of horizontal or vertical video lines. IMO you really won't miss them watching a video.
Thank you .. Will do Smile