Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: USB Audio Output WITHOUT resampling possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all.

I have recently bought a high quality DA Converter for my hifi, and one of the inputs I have used for connecting the Nvidia Shield TV box via usb. 
The problem is, all 44.1khz and other audio comes from the shield box as 192khz, no matter if I am using VLC, Kodi, Google Play Music, Youtube... I primarily want to use Kodi for playing my 44.1khz flac files.

This shouldn't happen, I don't want to alter the bitrate by resampling, as this is unnecessary and can cause loss of information and its better to output exactly the data from the file and let the DAC do the work... so I wanted to know if there is a way to have the Shield TV box simply output the same format as the file itself?

Another thing is that during playback, every 3-6 minutes, there is an audible "pop", almost like an LP record when there is a minor scratch or something... Any idea why this might be happening?

Thanks!
Mark.
Sad to say: don't use Android then. Kodi decodes lossless and opens the sink with the exact properties matching the song.

Android's audiotrack then internally does what it wants. According to some posts here 44.1 and compatible samplerates are not supported on shield and get resampled.

You can verify that with gdb, my stance you see in kodi.log :-(
adb not gdb (Mobile's auto correct)
Hi,
Thanks for the reply but do you think that this issue is specific to this particular box or do you think that all Android boxes will have the same problem?

Thanks, Mark
On Windows or Linux you have the possibility to open audio sinks exclusively. On Android this is not possible via audiotrack. Your audio is just one stream next to others on a Soundserver.

Passthrough is only available for bitstream formats.
(2019-03-03, 16:09)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]On Windows or Linux you have the possibility to open audio sinks exclusively. On Android this is not possible via audiotrack. Your audio is just one stream next to others on a Soundserver.

Passthrough is only available for bitstream formats.
 Hi fritsch

My Nviida Shield outputs 192khz and my Zorke z1 outputs at 44.1 form all apps including Kodi. On the Zorke there is a toggle to allow passthrough, but not on the Nvidia. They both have Kodi 18.1, and both set to Optimized or Best Match in audio settings.

I am not interested in using a computer, they are too noisy, and my several attempts at linux has been enough for a lifetime... so no on that option... but the question now is whether the 44.1 out of the Zorke is resampled, or untainted. From what you were saying, I couldn't get 44.1 out of an android box... or do I misunderstand you?

tx
Mark.
No. Some boxes can obviously do it.

For the "resamples 44.1 khz or not" <- just use your ears, if you cannot distinguish not a problem.
(2019-03-03, 18:56)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]For the "resamples 44.1 khz or not" <- just use your ears, if you cannot distinguish not a problem.
 Hmm, I disagree there! Using your ears only works if you are comparing instantly, so you can immediately listen for differences. If you have to go to settings, or change boxes etc... you cannot compare subtleties. 

Anyhow, I am going to try to find out if there is a ROM that will get the Nvidia to stop converting all sound to 192khz. 

Thanks for the help,
Mark.