Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: WD MyCloud
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi there can anyone help solve this issue.

I have kodi installed on my samaung tablet i am attempting to point Kodi at my Mycloud home nas to scan videos to libray as upnp does not support this. Ive tried asding network location of z: this is is the drive name for the nas but it does not work. Ive tried smb but that doea not work either
Wdmycloud home forum says it wont work as there ia no smb or nfs for it. I want to uae thebkodi atock interface but nas runs plex media server dont really want to use the plex plugin for kodi

Can anyone help
The MyCloud Home (MCH) will definitely make shares available by SMB, and may also do so via NFS if enabled (my older MyCloud mirror can do both, but you need to enable NFS if you want to use that).

If your media is in a share, then you should be able to access it via SMB using the IP address of the MCH and the shares name, logging in with a suitable username and password which you can set up on the dashboard of the MCH (the default admin user or another user you may have set up on the device which has access to the share with the media in it).
(2019-03-09, 13:01)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]The MyCloud Home (MCH) will definitely make shares available by SMB, and may also do so via NFS if enabled (my older MyCloud mirror can do both, but you need to enable NFS if you want to use that).

If your media is in a share, then you should be able to access it via SMB using the IP address of the MCH and the shares name, logging in with a suitable username and password which you can set up on the dashboard of the MCH (the default admin user or another user you may have set up on the device which has access to the share with the media in it).

Hello. Do I need to do something special to the MCH settings? Do I need to add another user or can I use the one I created to access the content from Kodi ?
No, any MCH user can be used, as long as it has access to the shares where your media is stored.

Optionally you can add a specific user for your media with limited access to only those shares if you wish, depending on your views on security and whatever else you may have stored on your NAS.
(2019-09-28, 14:51)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]No, any MCH user can be used, as long as it has access to the shares where your media is stored.

Optionally you can add a specific user for your media with limited access to only those shares if you wish, depending on your views on security and whatever else you may have stored on your NAS.

Thanks. Have tried to play with the smb in kodi on my miibox. The mch is connected to my router via cable and the miibox is on net via wifi. Should that be a problem to see the share on the mch?
Should be fine. Just don't forget to use the correct credentials when you set things up, and make sure the SMB version you've got set up on the Kodi device is the same as that on the MCH.

Personally I've got an older device (MyCloud Mirror gen 1) from which I can (and do) use NFS. I don't know if the MCH supports that or not, but if it is an option then that's a better and more efficient protocol to use.
(2019-09-28, 17:43)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Should be fine. Just don't forget to use the correct credentials when you set things up, and make sure the SMB version you've got set up on the Kodi device is the same as that on the MCH.

Personally I've got an older device (MyCloud Mirror gen 1) from which I can (and do) use NFS. I don't know if the MCH supports that or not, but if it is an option then that's a better and more efficient protocol to use.

Hey, there is no option for NFS on the MCH.

Then the question is what smb protocol does it use.
As high as possible. SMB2 or SMB3 should both work fine, although the MCH won't be browse discoverable via those (you need to enter its IP address yourself).

SMB1 if you have to, but note that it has security issues and is not recommended.
(2019-09-28, 18:38)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]As high as possible. SMB2 or SMB3 should both work fine, although the MCH won't be browse discoverable via those (you need to enter its IP address yourself).

SMB1 if you have to, but note that it has security issues and is not recommended.

Thanks for all your help. I'll have a play with after work.
I'm I right in what I should set kodi to smb2 or smb3 in the kodi settings. ?
Yes, under settings > services > smb client . You set the minimum and maximum there. Start with SMB2 min and SMB3 max and see how you go.

There may be a setting in the MCH to say which SMB version it uses - if there is make sure it's SMB2 or SMB3 for preference.
(2019-09-28, 20:09)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, under settings > services > smb client . You set the minimum and maximum there. Start with SMB2 min and SMB3 max and see how you go.

There may be a setting in the MCH to say which SMB version it uses - if there is make sure it's SMB2 or SMB3 for preference.

Hello,
There are no settings that indicate what version of smb that is used.

But just for my understanding.
I should add network location in kodi then smb and type a ip address. What should I type in remote patch, public or same thing else?
Remote path (not patch) will depend on what share you're trying to access. Usually it will just be its name, so yes Public if that's what you're trying to link to (192.168.x.x/Public replacing x's with your device IP address numbers). Be careful of case in the share name, although that part you may be able to browse if you just point to the root of the device - just the IP address without any remote path.

The article below may also help - it's how to map a network drive to it in Windows but the general principle is the same (the connection there is CIFS, which is Windows version of SMB):

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/de...25436/h/p2

If all else fails there's manual as well, but that looks absolute rubbish (to be honest as does the device, certainly compared to what my older MyCloud Mirror can do):

http://products.wdc.com/library/UM/ENG/4779-705163.pdf
(2019-09-29, 09:55)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Remote path (not patch) will depend on what share you're trying to access. Usually it will just be its name, so yes Public if that's what you're trying to link to (192.168.x.x/Public replacing x's with your device IP address numbers). Be careful of case in the share name, although that part you may be able to browse if you just point to the root of the device - just the IP address without any remote path.

The article below may also help - it's how to map a network drive to it in Windows but the general principle is the same (the connection there is CIFS, which is Windows version of SMB):

If all else fails there's manual as well, but that looks absolute rubbish (to be honest as does the device, certainly compared to what my older MyCloud Mirror can do):

Got it working now 😊
Thread marked solved.
(2019-09-29, 11:40)sbh7600 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-09-29, 09:55)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Remote path (not patch) will depend on what share you're trying to access. Usually it will just be its name, so yes Public if that's what you're trying to link to (192.168.x.x/Public replacing x's with your device IP address numbers). Be careful of case in the share name, although that part you may be able to browse if you just point to the root of the device - just the IP address without any remote path.

Got it working now 😊

Hi, can you tell us how you got it working?
Pages: 1 2