Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amber for Leia/Matrix/Nexus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

after upgrading from kodi 17.6 to 18.9 and change to Amber skin I have just realized something strange.

I use to change a little bit the subtitle position, I put them a little higher than default position in order to not to have my head "moving"

What It seems is when you add Amber and change to it from the default skin, the position of the subtitle is not really changed.

To clear the problem, I have made a clear installation of kodi 18.9 and before installing amber, changing subtitle position  works ok, but after installing Amber it doesn't even changing again to default skin.

¿can someone test if it happens the same to him/her?

Thanks

Greetings
(2021-01-08, 18:36)clamatac Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

after upgrading from kodi 17.6 to 18.9 and change to Amber skin I have just realized something strange.

I use to change a little bit the subtitle position, I put them a little higher than default position in order to not to have my head "moving"

What It seems is when you add Amber and change to it from the default skin, the position of the subtitle is not really changed.

To clear the problem, I have made a clear installation of kodi 18.9 and before installing amber, changing subtitle position  works ok, but after installing Amber it doesn't even changing again to default skin.

¿can someone test if it happens the same to him/her?

Thanks

Greetings
@clamatac , I do not know what might be going on in your system, but a skin does not have any control or bearing on subtitle position.  I have tested changing subtitle position (above video, on top of video, fixed, below video, etc.), and it works without any issue, at least on my Windows installs. 

The only thing I can think of is if you are on another OS, and if you always play from the video info dialog and have tmdb helper enabled, maybe tmdb helper has an issue with subtitles? I don't think so, but if you do have tmdb helper enabled in Amber settings, try disabling it and see if it makes any difference.

Regards,

Bart
hi,

is not about selecting "top of video, fixed, below video, etc."  is when being in "below video", in the "video calibration" you can select to put the subtitle a little higher or lower.

Greetings
(2021-01-08, 21:56)clamatac Wrote: [ -> ]hi,

is not about selecting "top of video, fixed, below video, etc."  is when being in "below video", in the "video calibration" you can select to put the subtitle a little higher or lower.

Greetings
@clamatac , thank you for the clarification.  In any case, I tested this under Windows and it works correctly as well.  I cannot replicate your issue.  I am sorry I cannot be of more assistance.

Regards,

Bart
(2021-01-07, 17:51)bsoriano Wrote: [ -> ]1. Hide Seek Bar when Paused.  Amber will now hide the seek bar after 5 seconds when the video is paused.  You can find the new setting here:

Nice this new function.

Here is the French translation for the new item in settings :
Hide seek bar when paused : Masquer la barre temporelle en pause

(2021-01-07, 17:51)bsoriano Wrote: [ -> ]- Use EPGEventIcon instead of Icon for PVR.  Hopefully this should provide PVR users with a better thumb in the guide and PVR Info dialog.
What does it consist of ? I believed that the illustrative images of the TV programs in the EPG were provided by TheMovieDb Helper.
(2021-01-09, 00:03)Cyberdom Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-07, 17:51)bsoriano Wrote: [ -> ]1. Hide Seek Bar when Paused.  Amber will now hide the seek bar after 5 seconds when the video is paused.  You can find the new setting here:

Nice this new function.

(2021-01-07, 17:51)bsoriano Wrote: [ -> ]- Use EPGEventIcon instead of Icon for PVR.  Hopefully this should provide PVR users with a better thumb in the guide and PVR Info dialog.
What does it consist of ? I believed that the illustrative images of the TV programs in the EPG were provided by TheMovieDb Helper.
@Cyberdom , that will continue to happen, but only if the PVR backend does not provide a thumb image for the programme.  Before, I was not using the info label that Kodi provides for the thumb for the programme (if the backend supports it).

Regards,

Bart
Amber is easily my favorite skin for Kodi 19. Great job!

One suggestion... I read in an earlier post on this thread that you had no plans to make the vertical menu any narrower to give the unused screen space to the shelves. It's your skin and I understand this is your decision to make, so as an option how about an icon-only vertical menu? This would give a lot more screen real estate for the media being displayed. It's the only thing I really miss from the skin I had been using on Leia (Estuary Mod v2) which was also highly configurable.

Regardless, thanks again for a terrific skin and for keeping it in active development! I hope you have a great 2021.
(2021-01-10, 03:26)snarfo Wrote: [ -> ]Amber is easily my favorite skin for Kodi 19. Great job!

One suggestion... I read in an earlier post on this thread that you had no plans to make the vertical menu any narrower to give the unused screen space to the shelves. It's your skin and I understand this is your decision to make, so as an option how about an icon-only vertical menu? This would give a lot more screen real estate for the media being displayed. It's the only thing I really miss from the skin I had been using on Leia (Estuary Mod v2) which was also highly configurable.

Regardless, thanks again for a terrific skin and for keeping it in active development! I hope you have a great 2021.

@snarfo, thank you for your kind words! I will certainly consider that. I am not good at design, would you be able to recommend a good set of icons to use for this? Thank you in advance.

Another user also did a mod which hides the menu and has the widgets occupy more of the screen. I am evaluating how to include this as an option. Would this suit your needs?

Regards,

Bart
(2021-01-10, 03:26)snarfo Wrote: [ -> ]Amber is easily my favorite skin for Kodi 19. Great job!

+1 for the vertical menu with icons only
(2021-01-09, 23:06)bsoriano Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-09, 00:03)Cyberdom Wrote: [ -> ]

Nice this new function.

@Cyberdom , that will continue to happen, but only if the PVR backend does not provide a thumb image for the programme.  Before, I was not using the info label that Kodi provides for the thumb for the programme (if the backend supports it).

Regards,

Bart
Thank you @bsoriano for the precision.

So if I understood correctly this relates to the thumbs provided by the EPG.

For my part, I use Tvheadend and the EPG broadcast by television channels but which does not contain thumbs for the programs.
(2021-01-10, 04:39)bsoriano Wrote: [ -> ]

@snarfo, thank you for your kind words! I will certainly consider that. I am not good at design, would you be able to recommend a good set of icons to use for this? Thank you in advance.

Another user also did a mod which hides the menu and has the widgets occupy more of the screen. I am evaluating how to include this as an option. Would this suit your needs?

Regards,

Bart

My graphic design skills, once strong, have atrophied over the years so I can't be trusted with Photoshop anymore Wink . I'm not sure of the ethical issues about borrowing icon sets from other devs, but something simple would work just fine. For example I think the home menu icons in the default Estuary skin look great--- they're clean, simple, and easily identifiable.
@snarfo , @Aaiemron , if you are willing to test from GitHub, I have made the changes to include an "Icon Only" vertical menu.  The changes are there for both Matrix (master branch) and Leia.  You will find two new settings here:

If you enable "Icon Only Menu", you will get somthing similar to this:

And if you also enable the setting "Show Menu Item Name", you will get the name of the menu item to show on the top left, like so:

The icons I am using are the ones from Estuary for now.  Please let me know if this is what you were looking for.  Thanks.

Regards,

Bart
Wow, that was fast. Functionally it seems to be working fine so far, but I got some odd graphic anomalies. The vertical menu icons are all bits of fanart I use for wallpaper. For the record, I'm using Kodi 19 (a nightly build from a few days ago). Hopefully I grabbed the right Amber build... I got it from https://github.com/bartolomesoriano/skin.amber. It did say 'WIP - Icon Only Vertical Menu' so I thought I was at the correct place, but I'm guessing I missed something!

ImageImage

The vertical menu with icons only is working fine for me. It looks very nice.
Thank you very much for adding that option.

I'm using the Matrix version of Kodi. (The latest nightly)
MAC OS
(2021-01-11, 04:33)snarfo Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, that was fast. Functionally it seems to be working fine so far, but I got some odd graphic anomalies. The vertical menu icons are all bits of fanart I use for wallpaper. For the record, I'm using Kodi 19 (a nightly build from a few days ago). Hopefully I grabbed the right Amber build... I got it from https://github.com/bartolomesoriano/skin.amber. It did say 'WIP - Icon Only Vertical Menu' so I thought I was at the correct place, but I'm guessing I missed something!

ImageImage

@snarfo, that is probably happening due to some weirdness with skinshortcuts. Please quit Kodi, delete the file script-skinshortcuts-includes.xml from the 1080i skin folder, and then restart Kodi. If that does not do the trick, you will have to delete anything that has skin amber in the name in the addon_data folder for script.skinshortcuts. The addon_data folder can be found under userdata in the app data folder for Kodi in your environment. Please let me know if you were able to solve it. I had to do what I just mentioned to get it to show up correctly for me.

The big drawback from doing the second step that I outlined is that you will lose all of your menu/submenu/widgets configuration. I apologize in advance for that.

Regards,

Bart