Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amber for Leia/Matrix/Nexus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2019-04-24, 21:46)shedrock Wrote: [ -> ]@bsoriano - Is there a way I can initialize the "view" options for Movies and TV Shows on Amber while using it on my Android device, phone, tablet etc..?

No rush bro. I know you're busy with other stuff. I was just curious because I started using Kodi on my Tab last night.

Thanks,

Shedrock
@shedrock , what is it  specifically that you want to achieve? That Movies and TV Shows start in a particular view, or are always forced to a particular view on restart? If so, have you seen any other skin that offers this? Thanks.

Regards,

Bart
(2019-04-24, 22:45)bsoriano Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-24, 21:46)shedrock Wrote: [ -> ]@bsoriano - Is there a way I can initialize the "view" options for Movies and TV Shows on Amber while using it on my Android device, phone, tablet etc..?

No rush bro. I know you're busy with other stuff. I was just curious because I started using Kodi on my Tab last night.

Thanks,

Shedrock
@shedrock , what is it  specifically that you want to achieve? That Movies and TV Shows start in a particular view, or are always forced to a particular view on restart? If so, have you seen any other skin that offers this? Thanks.

Regards,

Bart 
Sorry, I didn't explain myself. I mean I can't change the views while using the skin on my Android device. I use Icns for Movies and Banners (icons wide) for TV shows, but there is no way to select it on the device, or at least nothing I have found yet.
(2019-04-24, 22:49)shedrock Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-24, 22:45)bsoriano Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks,

Shedrock

Regards,

Bart  
Sorry, I didn't explain myself. I mean I can't change the views while using the skin on my Android device. I use Icns for Movies and Banners (icons wide) for TV shows, but there is no way to select it on the device, or at least nothing I have found yet. 
@shedrock , I guess touch/mouse support on the skin is not good or non existent, so probably there is no way to reach the sideblade without a keyboard.  To manage this would take some significant changes.  Could you please do me a favor and install MrMC (a fork of Kodi Jarvis for mobile devices) on your Android tablet? I know @pecinko, the creator of Amber, modified it (or created a different version) for MrMC, so there might be some interesting clues there as to how to best make Amber "touch friendly".  I don't have an Android tablet to test, unfortunately.  I would love to hear your feedback if you are able to do this.  Thanks.

Regards,

Bart
(2019-04-24, 22:56)bsoriano Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-24, 22:49)shedrock Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-24, 22:45)bsoriano Wrote: [ -> ]@shedrock , what is it  specifically that you want to achieve? That Movies and TV Shows start in a particular view, or are always forced to a particular view on restart? If so, have you seen any other skin that offers this? Thanks.

Regards,

Bart  
@shedrock , I guess touch/mouse support on the skin is not good or non existent, so probably there is no way to reach the sideblade without a keyboard.  To manage this would take some significant changes.  Could you please do me a favor and install MrMC (a fork of Kodi Jarvis for mobile devices) on your Android tablet? I know @pecinko, the creator of Amber, modified it (or created a different version) for MrMC, so there might be some interesting clues there as to how to best make Amber "touch friendly".  I don't have an Android tablet to test, unfortunately.  I would love to hear your feedback if you are able to do this.  Thanks.

Regards,

Bart   
I will look into it for certain. I know MQ8 has a widget that allows for this in the settings, but it doe's not work correctly at all. Kodi actually come with a default skin that comes with the view changer on the main menu.

Re-Touched is the skin that comes with this feature.

I also just realized that Amber on Helix on my Android phone I can access the left pull out menu to change the views by simply touching it with my finger.

The simplest way is probably to just add a button on the screen to trigger the sidebar blade menu (maybe set to only be visible if touchscreen/mouse is enabled, or with a skin settings toggle) in those windows?

Estuary and Estouchy both have such a button on the movies and TV shows screens that either access the blade menu or switch views directly.
(2019-04-24, 23:14)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]The simplest way is probably to just add a button on the screen to trigger the sidebar blade menu (maybe set to only be visible if touchscreen/mouse is enabled, or with a skin settings toggle) in those windows?

Estuary and Estouchy both have such a button on the movies and TV shows screens that either access the blade menu or switch views directly.
@DarrenHill , thanks! I will look into how it's done in Estuary and Estouchy and put it on my To-Do list.

Regards,

Bart
One other idea is to define a new touchscreen action (for example 2 finger swipe right) to open the blade menu?

Maybe something like

<swipe direction="right" pointers="2">Menu</swipe>
@shedrock - OK just tried it and it works.

Save the code below as "SwipeRight.xml" and put it in the keymaps folder in your userdata (wiki) folder on your tablet:

xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<keymap>
<global>
<touch>
</touch>
</global>
</keymap>

Restart Kodi and you can then use a two-finger right swipe to open the blade menu.

@bsoriano - other skins (eg xonfluence) have similar keymap files, so you could maybe add it to Amber if you want?

I've put it at the moment in the general (global) fallback option so it may trigger other menu actions on other screens, but it could perhaps be narrowed down to just specific windows if that is the case and some of the triggers are undesirable. But as a general quick hack it works for me on my Android tablet.
(2019-04-22, 23:33)shedrock Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-22, 22:52)bsoriano Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-22, 22:43)shedrock Wrote: [ -> ]@bsoriano - I think I may have found an issue. Amber Settings > Home Layout, then I disabled TV Shows and Movies. I then used the Empty menu options to re-create TV Shows and Movies, so this way I can get the startup focus on TV Shows, but what I noticed is that even though I selected the TV Shelf for TV Shows and Movie Shelf for Movies, they aren't being displayed. All I see above TV Shows is a (dot) where the shelf should be.

Screenshot:

Also, you may want to consider somewhere down the road to have the highlight bar remember its last positions. For example when I go to Settings > Amber Settings and then come out of it, it should remember the last position as with other skins. I just thought I would mention that to you. It is not biggie.

Regards,

Shedrock

@shedrock, thanks for your feedback. I will look into that part of the code, as I had not tried something like that yet. You have skin shortcuts enabled in Amber settings, correct?

I have noticed also the focus issue you describe, but had not been able to determine a pattern, since the default behavior for a list control is to remember the last focused item. I will check further into that as well.

Regards,

Bart   
Yes, skin shortcuts is enabled.  
@shedrock, there are some issues with script.skinshortcuts that I had to work around in order to fix this issue.  It is now fixed.  Either download from Git or, if you installed the Amber repo, the skin should update automatically to version 3.1.6.

One point to keep in mind is that for custom home menu items, when you have skinshortcuts enabled, there is only one shelf, not multiple.  For example, if, like in your case, you decide to disable the regular Movies main menu item and create a custom Movies menu item, and assign the shelf type to be Movies, the skin will show a shelf with all of the movies, but only one shelf, not like the regular Movies main menu item, whose shelf has multiple options.

This is not something that I will address at this time, since doing so is basically on par with rewriting the menu system, which I am slowly working towards.

Please test and let me know if this fixes the issue for you.  Keep in mind also that you can create a custom home menu item for things like recently added movies, tv shows, playlists,etc. and the shelf will show the appropriate content (if you select it).  Thanks.

IMPORTANT: I had to change the names of settings in the code of the skin, so the safest course of action is to reset all of your skin settings in order to use the new version well.

Regards,

Bart
(2019-04-24, 23:41)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]@shedrock - OK just tried it and it works.

Save the code below as "SwipeRight.xml" and put it in the keymaps folder in your userdata (wiki) folder on your tablet:

xml:
<keymap>
<global>
<touch>
</touch>
</global>
</keymap>

Restart Kodi and you can then use a two-finger right swipe to open the blade menu.

@bsoriano - other skins (eg xonfluence) have similar keymap files, so you could maybe add it to Amber if you want?

I've put it at the moment in the general (global) fallback option so it may trigger other menu actions on other screens, but it could perhaps be narrowed down to just specific windows if that is the case and some of the triggers are undesirable. But as a general quick hack it works for me on my Android tablet.
@DarrenHill, excellent, thank you! Smile I will add, perhaps initially just for the media windows.  I will put this in the next version (latest as of a few minutes ago is 3.1.6, this will go on 3.1.7)

Regards,

Bart
Hello all,

The latest version of the skin (3.1.6) is on Git and in the Amber repo.  Be aware that, in order to fix an issue with the shelf for custom home menu items when you have skinshortcuts enabled, I had to change the name of related skin settings inside the skin code.  If you test this version and shelves do not work with custom home menu items (i.e, no shelf is shown), you will have to reset all of your skin settings.  You can do this in Amber Settings, General.

I apologize in advance for any inconvenience this change may cause.

Regards,

Bart
(2019-04-24, 23:41)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]@shedrock - OK just tried it and it works.

xml:
<keymap>
<global>
<touch>
</touch>
</global>
</keymap>

I can confirm that this works perfectly. Thank you very much for the assistance.
(2019-04-25, 00:05)bsoriano Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-22, 23:33)shedrock Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-22, 22:52)bsoriano Wrote: [ -> ]@shedrock, thanks for your feedback. I will look into that part of the code, as I had not tried something like that yet. You have skin shortcuts enabled in Amber settings, correct?

I have noticed also the focus issue you describe, but had not been able to determine a pattern, since the default behavior for a list control is to remember the last focused item. I will check further into that as well.

Regards,

Bart   
Yes, skin shortcuts is enabled.     
@shedrock, there are some issues with script.skinshortcuts that I had to work around in order to fix this issue.  It is now fixed.  Either download from Git or, if you installed the Amber repo, the skin should update automatically to version 3.1.6.

One point to keep in mind is that for custom home menu items, when you have skinshortcuts enabled, there is only one shelf, not multiple.  For example, if, like in your case, you decide to disable the regular Movies main menu item and create a custom Movies menu item, and assign the shelf type to be Movies, the skin will show a shelf with all of the movies, but only one shelf, not like the regular Movies main menu item, whose shelf has multiple options.

This is not something that I will address at this time, since doing so is basically on par with rewriting the menu system, which I am slowly working towards.

Please test and let me know if this fixes the issue for you.  Keep in mind also that you can create a custom home menu item for things like recently added movies, tv shows, playlists,etc. and the shelf will show the appropriate content (if you select it).  Thanks.

IMPORTANT: I had to change the names of settings in the code of the skin, so the safest course of action is to reset all of your skin settings in order to use the new version well.

Regards,

Bart   
No problem at all, much appreciated. I will definitely check it out in a bit. I'll actually do a fresh install as well of Amber.

Thanks so much again for all your ongoing hard work with this skin.

Shedrock

UPDATE: I just checked it out and I understand what you mean about the shelf items. I think I'll have to stick to the default for the moment. One of the features I love about this skin is that you have all those options form within that one widget, with the Next airing, recently added, etc. I'll keep it that way until maybe one day you'll be able to find a user selected focus view.

Either way, the skin is working beautifully so far. Big Grin

Shedrock
(2019-04-25, 00:14)bsoriano Wrote: [ -> ]

xml:
<keymap>
<global>
<touch>
</touch>
</global>
</keymap>

@DarrenHill, excellent, thank you! Smile I will add, perhaps initially just for the media windows.  I will put this in the next version (latest as of a few minutes ago is 3.1.6, this will go on 3.1.7)

Regards,

Bart 
@DarrenHill, I was looking at this some more, and Xonfluence has a python script which is called when you first set it up to copy the keymap to the userdata folder. While this is simple enough (their script would work with any skin), I am more inclined to add, after you enable it in skin settings, a button that will open the sideblade in media views.  The button would be placed so that you need a mouse or touch to click it. This is the approach I will take.  It just will take a bit longer to do.

Regards,

Bart
@bsoriano - as you wish Smile I'm pondering looking to add that line to the default keymap anyway, as I think it would be generally useful. Plus in any case I'll be keeping it in my set-up as the 2 finger right-swipe seems quite natural to bring that menu out anyway.

But having thought about it, if you do use it, it would be better to call it Amber.xml or something like that to be clear where it's come from for anyone who does use it.