Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Building new HTPC based on XBMC for Linux?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'd like some advice and opinions. I currently have a 32" widescreen analog tv and am thinking of replacing it soon with a 32" LCD (it's all I can afford right now). The thing is I don't think the quality of them with low resolution material (i.e. standard 700mb xvid rip) looks particularly good on an LCD. It looks like watching old VHS.

I have decided on building a small and quiet dedicated PC with XBMC Linux and want to run with surround sound and a remote control. I have the xbox remote control which I think performs very poorly compared to the wireless controller so I would like some other solution with a decent remote control attaced to my computer.

The questions are as follows.

1. Can I connect to my regular analogue tv through a pc sound card without using the TVOUT. Is there some interface that can be connected via the scart or something? I really hate TVOUT and was the reason I bought the xbox in the first place.

2. Can a remote control be bought and made to work with my pc and xbmc linux. If so, what brands are the best and where can i buy them. I would like something with minimum installation fuss.

3. Is it better to spend the same money on a PS3 for this instead of a dedicated PC? What are the advantages / disadvantages.

4. Is is easy to setup and have surround sound working with XBMC Linux and Creative sound card, for instance.

5. When i get my LCD 32", will the 1080i quality material look a lot better on this type of screen than regular xvid rips and dvd resolution?

I think they are the main questions.

Thanks in advance.
we really need a central topic for this sort of stuff....

1) hm tv out is the only way for a analog tv..
ok a vga to tulp also exists but its about the same..I would keep using your xbox untill you get a lcd tv.. my opinion.

2) usb microsoft dongle should be easy enough.. i'll be getting several usb infrared receivers.. we'll test it as soon as i have time..

3) hmm personally? no. a XBMC machine (linux, windows, mac, xbox) can play an array of video's and audio. I have had several divx or xvid releases that my ps3 couldn't read.. while it isn't a problem for my xbmc machines.. (i have xbmc for mac, windows, linux and xbox here..)

4) hmm Onboard sound is the way to go.. there are a lot of 'great' motherboards with good audio possibilite's.. don't go for a pci audio card.. it will only cost more money, you'll need a bigger case more software problems etc...

5) hell yeah...
Reptilian Wrote:4. Is is easy to setup and have surround sound working with XBMC Linux and Creative sound card, for instance.
Do not get Creative hardware, they are basically the only ones that do not provide any good drivers for Linux (at least not yet).
Thanks for the answers.

I think i've got a clear picture now on what I want to do. The questions regarding the PS3 was more of a hardware issue, since it's possible to install Linux on it and use XBMC. XBMC is the key here, I don't want to give it up for any other media playback option Big Grin. The xbox is still great except for a couple of flaws. 1.) Doesn't play back HQ media. 2) Wireless control has to be unplugged and plugged back in on bootup 30% of the time because it's not initiated for some reason.

I will stay away from Creative since most motherboards have Surround this isn't needed anyway.

Cheers!
xbmc doesn't run on ps3 linux.. (yet)
Ah, well that's that then Big Grin