Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Where to start
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have absolutely no experience with linix.  I have a dell T3500 that is ready for the Kodi experience.  I do not want to reinvent the wheel.  I would like some advice so that I have a remote that is easy to configure.  Should I think about using Windows 10 and MCE so that everything is "standard".  I have used a harmony programmable remote and am not real happy with it.
Which GPU is built into that stone-aged machine Wink ?
It has been sitting since I bought it.  I have one that I am using now and I will check this out.  Good place to start.  Thanks!
nvida quadro fx1800 is in the one I am using with windows 7 here at my desk. I assume the other one might be similar vintage.
I have such a machine myself (workstation with a Xeon processor) which I use most likely to run VMs on it. That one has a NVidia Quattro FX 4500 built in and Kodi works nice on it. I can't say if your GPU will work fine with Kodi. At least it seems to support OpenGL 3.0 which should be fine according to our wiki.

I will not ask about the logic behind using such a power-wasting machine as a Kodi client, as that's simply your choice. I would use that machine for something different, but that's up to you. This thingy won't even be silent. But yeah, your choice. Just to mention that a RPi3 can do a similar task but will need a fractional amount of power than this machine Wink.

Anyway, in regard of using remotes with Kodi (what the initial question was about), I can always recommend a Flirc: https://flirc.tv/more/flirc-usb

That's an USB IR-dongle which is able to receive IR command from nearly any remote out there. So there's also no need to buy a specific remote. I use a Harmony Elite with the Flirc as an receiver as well. The interesting part is, the Flirc receives IR signals and changes that to keyboard commands which then will be send to Kodi. So if you press "arrow up" on your remote, the IR-command for that will be send to the Flirc. If you have configured your Flirc accordinglly, then the Flirc will send an "up"-keyboard command (like using the arrow keys on your keyboard) to Kodi. It's really easy to configure and especially in the case if you don't have any experience with Linux at all. The very best part of the Flirc is, that you are able to use it on ANY Kodi client once you have configured it. That means, if it works with your Harmony on "Client 1" you can easily plug it into "Client 2" and it will works exactly the same if you are using the same remote. The config for the Flirc is stored on the device itself. So you never need to fiddle around with the config again if your Kodi hardware changes.

Now I guess you will ask soon which OS you should use on that machine above. At a very first shot, I personally would try Ubuntu 18.04.2. But, given that we don't know the exact GPU you are using and asuming it's the FX 1800, there aren't drivers for that Ubuntu version anymore. So you need to use Ubuntu 16.04. which has support until 2021. But (there will be a lot of "but" if you plan to use Linux) Ubuntu 16.04 uses a pretty old Kernel and I guess, noone is able to predict what quirks you might get by using that on a stone aged machine like the one mentioned above. If you get into some trouble, you might have to use a newer kernel, which could give you other quirks. So in the end...if you aren't familiar with Linux at all and can't solve problems on your own, I wouldn't recommend to use Linux in that case. If you are familiar with Windows, then use that. Reasons for that are:

- you are able to solve problems yourself
- there will be drivers somewhere for nearly any ancient GPU out there
- because of the 2 above, you might get a better Kodi experience

In the end, I still would recommend to use a different machine as a Kodi client. As that's like shooting for sparrows with cannons. Wink
I just took a look at st3500-2 and it apparently has a 320-1845 : 1GB nVIDIA Quadro 600,Dual Monitor,1DP and 1DVI,Dell Precision

I want HDMI and A/V outputs so an upgrade is in order.  The A/V will go to a modulator that will provide 3 QAM signals on the coax I have in my house.

Also it had windows 10.  So if that seems to work I may try that.  Maybe you don't do windows?  Can you recommend a forum for me?

The modulator is a Channel Vision CVT3UB/UHF 3-Channel RF Modulator from Markertek.  IT has somekind of coax IR that works on the coax.  I am not sure what that is.

Channel Vision’s CVT3ub/uhf is a 3-input RF modulator that creates user selectable TV channels from standard composite video signals. In addition to creating a whole-house audio video system, these units also provide an integrated IR repeating system that runs over the same coax that delivers video to your TV set.

The IR-4101 is an IR coax adaptor that works with Channel Vision's IR coax engine to enable the transmission of Infrared remote control signals onto the same coax cable that delivers your cable TV.Channel Vision's IR coax engine can be found in the following products: IR-4000, E2200IR, E3200IR,E4200IR, and P-0321.

Could you recommend a tuner for this computer?  Back in the xp days I had an Avermedia setup that worked inside my computer but is all obsolete today with ATSC digital.
Thanks!