Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Commentary tracks?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How can I get Kodi to play an external commentary track with a movie? Is there a particular way that they have to be named? Looking through the documentation, I haven't found anything.
Go to Audio settings on the OSD and you should be able to select any external audio tracks as long as it's name the same as the movie file for example:

some_movie.mkv
some_movie.ac3
(2019-03-29, 17:36)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Go to Audio settings on the OSD and you should be able to select any external audio tracks as long as it's name the same as the movie file for example:

some_movie.mkv
some_movie.ac3

Must they be named exactly the same? I have multiple tracks for some movies, so would like to be able to keep more than one and to tell them apart.
As far as I know they must share the same naming as the vide file so Kodi knows to create the association. Why do you not add the audio tracks to the video file?
(2019-03-29, 21:44)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Why do you not add the audio tracks to the video file?
You can use MKVtoolnix for this.
(2019-03-29, 21:44)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]As far as I know they must share the same naming as the vide file so Kodi knows to create the association. Why do you not add the audio tracks to the video file?

What I've found now through experimenting: They don't have to have exactly the same name as the movie. Their name just has to start the same way as the movie's does.

Thus, commentary tracks to "My Movie (2019)"
named
My Movie (2019) - Commentary by director.ac3
My Movie (2019) - Commentary by editor.ac3
do show up as alternative audio streams within Kodi. They don't have names, but they are playable as audio streams within it.
Would be cool if there were a way to play two audio tracks together, with volume and offset settings. There are many cool commentary and watch-along tracks out there and on youtube but don't include any audio from the movie itself.