Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: GSoC 2019 Proposal- Fuzzing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

My name is Amy and I am a freshman at the University of Michigan. I am interested in project 4.9- fuzz testing. I have put together my proposal and opened it for comments here.

I am open to feedback for improving my proposal (but not so much grammar/punctuation type things). Note: I have temporarily removed the sample photo of my code since it is code from a school project and posting it online can constitute an honor code violation.

Thank you for this opportunity, I look forward to possibly working with Team Kodi in the coming months!
Hey there nice to have you.

Liked your proposal, just one question so far. Why did you go for american fuzzy lop? Did you checkout libfuzzer?
Hi!

I wrote specifically about AFL because all of the sources I read while researching fuzzing used it, but I wasn't set on it because the project description mentioned that the decision process would be part of the project. I actually hadn't specifically looked up the features of Libfuzzer. But, after reading a bit about the comparison it seems like Libfuzzer has a few more useful features than AFL, especially the range of supported sanitizers. I've also seen recommendations to run both since they have slightly different strategies- it seems like this might be the way to go to catch the most bugs possible. Plus, it could eliminate the need for running sanitizers seperately.

Would you recommend that I edit my proposal and timeline to fuzz with both? Thanks for the feedback!
I would recommend to focus on one of them, after all, gsoc feels kinda short Smile

From the things I heard, I would have thought, that libFuzzer would fit better with kodi code, but I haven't played with that.
(2019-04-02, 13:42)Razze Wrote: [ -> ]I would recommend to focus on one of them, after all, gsoc feels kinda short Smile

From the things I heard, I would have thought, that libFuzzer would fit better with kodi code, but I haven't played with that.

Sounds good. I agree that it would be a better fit and have modified my proposal! Thanks again for the feedback.