Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: AMD Raven Ridge on Ubuntu 18.04
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've recently upgraded my old Haswell Pentium G3220 HTPC to a new AMD Ryzen based setup, a 2200G on an A320 mobo.

This is mostly just a quick note to say how it was all pretty easy to get going.

Previously upgrading hardware with Kodi on Linux has always given me hours of headaches trying to get the right drivers and stuff working.

Before i tore down the old machine i upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04 and Kodi 18 and then installed the most recent kernel (5.0.4) to get the latest amdgpu driver. Mesa and all the other bits seemed to be up-to-date within ubuntus own repositories.

Shut down, swapped the boot SSD and other drives over into the new machine and it fired right up, launched kodi without any issues and it all Just Worked.

Even HD Audio bitstreaming just worked right out of the box, something AMD historically had problems with on Linux.

There wasnt much info around this platform so hopefully this might give others the confidence to go down this route!
(2019-04-03, 11:42)aragorn Wrote: [ -> ]There wasnt much info around this platform so hopefully this might give others the confidence to go down this route!

Probably because not everyone is that familiar with AMD + Ubuntu. But it's good to know that AMD is capable of doing today's HTPC'ing, there have been times that that combination was really not an option. Milhouse's LibreELEC nightly builds now use Kernel 5.0.5 as per yesterday, so that is also promising.

It's also good to know that AMD graphics can take over the black hole that Nvidia leaves in the Linux area. Smile