Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: "Delay in Playback on refresh rate change" not working on Shield TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I have the latest Shield TV update along with the latest Kodi nightly installed.

Hooked tht Shield to a Denon ATMOS receiver and then to a Samsung 4K TV.

The problem:
There is a delay of about 4 seconds when refresh rate is changed and the setting "Delay in Playback on refresh rate change" does not work whether I set it to 1 second or 8. The same setting works fine on MrMC. On Kodi audio starts after like 0.5 seconds of clicking on play while the screen is still black as it is switching refresh rates. Passthrough is ON and Refresh rate switching is ON.
Anyone got any ideas about this?
My setup seems to be the same as yours, except I have a Sony 4kTV.  I seem to have a .5 delay at times when switching. Sound works fine.

My 'Delay after change of refresh rate' is Off. 
I turned on all settings under Whitelist
Adjust display refresh rate is set to On start/stop
(2019-04-12, 14:55)lakedaisy Wrote: [ -> ]My setup seems to be the same as yours, except I have a Sony 4kTV.  I seem to have a .5 delay at times when switching. Sound works fine.

My 'Delay after change of refresh rate' is Off. 
I turned on all settings under Whitelist
Adjust display refresh rate is set to On start/stop

Can you try and change thr setting "Delay after change of refresh rate" to something like 7 seconds and check if media playback is paused for the first 7 seconds when you play a file?

In my case, media playback starts instantly without honoring the wait time that I set.
Mine is the same.  Tried 'Delay after change of refresh rate' all the way to 20 and it still doesn't delay.  Starts immediately.
(2019-04-13, 14:53)lakedaisy Wrote: [ -> ]Mine is the same.  Tried 'Delay after change of refresh rate' all the way to 20 and it still doesn't delay.  Starts immediately.
Clearly a bug - which doesn't occur in MrMC (a kodi fork). How do I report this bug?
mediaplayback was never paused....this only increase the time when the refreshrate switch will happen
I have had intermittent issues with this feature since Krypton. It has seemed worse since the upgrade to Leia in conjunction with the Nvidia Shield's native update. I think it has also been a contributing factor to some lip sync issues (also intermittent) that I have been experiencing with increased regularity.

The shield in my theater room is used exclusively for movies and since my projector is limited to 1080p, the solution was simply to change the global setting in Kodi to 1080p at 23.967. I was reticent to do this as this solution introduced horrible lagginess in the KODI interface on an earlier RPI librelec setup I had before. I am happy to report that I see no such issues with the SHIELD.
(2019-04-13, 17:22)m2k1980 Wrote: [ -> ]mediaplayback was never paused....this only increase the time when the refreshrate switch will happen
From what I've seen in MrMC, playback is paused till frame rate is completely switched.

Could @Koying shed some light.
(2019-04-13, 19:48)xinseo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-13, 17:22)m2k1980 Wrote: [ -> ]mediaplayback was never paused....this only increase the time when the refreshrate switch will happen
From what I've seen in MrMC, playback is paused till frame rate is completely switched.

Could @Koying shed some light. 
mrmc is a fork, right, but how many time ago is it, when it was forked?
I have Kodi 18.2 on NVIDIA SHIELD
I have noticed 2 things:
  • Although I have set to change refresh rate on Start/Stop the refresh rate was not changing until I whitelisted a load of refresh rate options - this appears to be new as it just worked previously.
  • The delay on change of refresh rate is not working at all - just being ignored.
Anyone know if either of these is a confirmed and reported bug?
(2019-05-03, 22:55)justinhow Wrote: [ -> ]I have Kodi 18.2 on NVIDIA SHIELD
I have noticed 2 things:
  • Although I have set to change refresh rate on Start/Stop the refresh rate was not changing until I whitelisted a load of refresh rate options - this appears to be new as it just worked previously.
  • The delay on change of refresh rate is not working at all - just being ignored.
Anyone know if either of these is a confirmed and reported bug?
This is a bug. I have also posted this issue on Github at
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/15912

This issue needs a lot of attention but it isn't getting any. 3-5 seconds of my videos are cut off and I have to rewind literally every video. This issue does not exist on MrMC.
(2019-05-04, 07:28)xinseo Wrote: [ -> ]This issue needs a lot of attention but it isn't getting any.

It's got all the attention it needs by being reported on GitHub but devs are only human and have real lives.
This issue persists in 18.4...

Does it need to be re-reported?
I've got this same issue too, not present in 18.3 it's just not useable like this, every video i start starts to play then a few seconds later screen blanks off like it's changing refresh rate to match content but why the hell is it taking so long, it's unbearable as it is, gone back to 18.3.
Pages: 1 2 3 4