Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Playing media content
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From the "important" post at the beginning of this section: "Kodi is a open source media center software application that was primarily designed for playing media content stored within the home." I'm puzzled by this. Aren't the majority of Kodi installations now on Android systems? Android is completely unsuited to the quoted purpose because it's incapable of de-interlacing NTSC DVD video, so there is no Android application that correctly plays the numerous NTSC DVDs that I have ripped. I have to believe that, while the quote may have been true at one time, it's completely outdated. I want to use Kodi to stream older movies and TV shows that don't exist on Netflix, which I have an account for. People can't realistically be expected to shell out thousands of dollars for DVDs and Blu-rays of old movies and TV shows that they have a passing interest in.
(2019-04-14, 08:12)Freonpsandoz Wrote: [ -> ]Aren't the majority of Kodi installations now on Android systems?
And how did you come to that shocking assumption? Today there is a multitude of operating systems and hardware available for running Kodi, and you like to choose the hardware that fits your media collection the least? That's a bit weird. Yes, plenty of Android boxes are being sold as well, but lots of them also run Kodi outside of Android directly via LibreELEC, OSMC, CoreELEC, Raspbian... Plenty of people use the Intel-based personal computers to run Kodi via Windows or one of the Linux-based flavored OS'es, with Intel, AMD or Nvidia graphics. Simply choose your weapon.

(2019-04-14, 08:12)Freonpsandoz Wrote: [ -> ]Android is completely unsuited to the quoted purpose because it's incapable of de-interlacing NTSC DVD video, so there is no Android application that correctly plays the numerous NTSC DVDs that I have ripped.
There is always the possibility that newer video engines run certain video types differently, or that support for certain video cards change. Perhaps it's an option for you to choose an older Kodi version that plays your DVD collection better.

BTW, as far as I can tell, Kodi on the Nvidia Shield has played everything I've thrown at it so far. It runs Android 8.