Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 19.0)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
possible update to 'wait for network before starting kodi'?

Does wait for network look for adapter link-state or IP connectivity (address assignment?)

==========

I was seeing an error from my weather add-on at start-up, which I diagnosed to DNS resolution issue in the log:   'Temporary failure in name resolution'.  <-- I was seeing these for add-on updates, kodi updates and several others immediately after boot.
After logging in via ssh and performing nslookup on the failing addresses (api.weatherbit.io and others), I could not recreate the lookup failures.   I also was not seeing the 'failed' queries in the DNS server logs, but could see all of my queries made via ssh. 

I took a shot and assigned a static IP address (vs DHCP) and the errors went away.   

I have a rather fast system for a kodi box (NUC8i7 with M.2 ssd), so it boots up / launches kodi rather quickly.   1st world problem... I know

===========

That raises the question of how wait for network before launching kodi is implemented.  Any thoughts?

Thanks
Brian
(2019-07-27, 03:04)wallacebw Wrote: [ -> ]That raises the question of how wait for network before launching kodi is implemented.  Any thoughts?

It's implemented using the "ConnMan" command /usr/sbin/connmand-wait-online --timeout=30, here.

It waits until the network state (see: connmanctl state) becomes ready or online.
New LibreELEC.tv Matrix build #0726: Generic
(Supercedes previous build)

SHA256 Checksum: 3c6c9e112cd0567dc6bcb415329806ce8b6a48f2a38dd84fc5a7a529ea1387e9 (Generic)

text:
# uname -a
Linux NUC 5.2.3 #1 SMP Sat Jul 27 00:58:18 BST 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux

# lsb_release
LibreELEC (Milhouse): devel-20190727005737-#0726-gaa60a86 [Build #0726]

# Kodi version
Kodi (19.0-ALPHA1 Git:461723f). Platform: Linux x86 64-bit

Based on tip of LibreELEC.tv master (aa60a86, changelog) and tip of XBMC master (461723f, changelog) with the following modifications: Build Highlights:
  1. New 5.2.3 kernel
  2. ffmpeg: move v4l2 patches to v4l2 patch dir
Build Details:
  1. LibreELEC.tv:
    • parallel: update to parallel-20190722 (PR:3721, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
  2. XBMC:
    • [kodi-platform] Update kodi-platform sha for PR29 (PR:16404, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • [addon] fix ios runtime failure after PR 14908 (PR:16397, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
  3. kodi-platform:
    • [PR 16039] ios Darwin_embedded build change (PR:29, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
  4. pvr.vuplus:
    • Epg repeating timer matrix (PR:235, 2 commits, 3 files changed)
  5. Additional commits/pull requests/changes not yet merged upstream:
    • Updated: [env] PR:3708 (perma): linux (Mainline/RPi): update to linux-5.2.3
    • Added: [env] PR:3720 (perma): ffmpeg: move v4l2 patches to v4l2 patch dir
(2019-07-27, 19:40)Milhouse Wrote: [ -> ]It's implemented using the "ConnMan" command /usr/sbin/connmand-wait-online --timeout=30, here.

It waits until the network state (see: connmanctl state) becomes ready or online

Per the ConnMan README, it *sounds* like READY is LINK_STATE and ONLINE is well... FULLY Online (able to resolve and open HTTP to DNS NAME).  

I'm not a programmer and C makes my head hurt, so I say the above based on the README and am likely not 100% correct.   I understand the need to continue on READY based on 'captive portal' situations (DNS redirect and the like), so would adding a quick IP check  like the following  be bad idea?
Code:
 ifconfig | sed -En 's/127.0.0.1//;s/.*inet (addr:)?(([0-9]*\.){3}[0-9]*).*/\2/p'

Code:
Online check
============

ConnMan tries to detect if it has Internet connection or not when
a service is connected. If the online check succeeds the service
enters Online state, if not it stays in Ready state. The online
check is also used to detect whether ConnMan is behind a captive
portal like when you are in hotel and need to pay for connectivity.
Can I use this version for my raspberry pi 4?
Milhouse may or can I increase the graphics memory in the config to 640 MB? I kind of have graphics errors from time to time. The picture is very short- consuming. Is this still due to the build I loaded at LibreELEC? Or at the config? I have already increased the graphics memory. Otherwise I'll put it deeper again.

Thank you for your help
New LibreELEC.tv Matrix build #0727: Generic
(Supercedes previous build)

SHA256 Checksum: fb93c4aae39d353ca86259fadf37d8b06ae75e95d97a51c6f5b4f556f0efd016 (Generic)

text:
# uname -a
Linux NUC 5.2.3 #1 SMP Sat Jul 27 21:04:44 BST 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux

# lsb_release
LibreELEC (Milhouse): devel-20190727210329-#0727-g989f0f3 [Build #0727]

# Kodi version
Kodi (19.0-ALPHA1 Git:461723f). Platform: Linux x86 64-bit

Based on tip of LibreELEC.tv master (989f0f3, changelog) and tip of XBMC master (461723f, changelog) with the following modifications: Build Highlights:
  1. Fix + sign HTTP folder
  2. [PlaylistPlayer] Do not attempt to further resolve plugin paths for failing entries
Build Details:
  1. LibreELEC.tv:
    • ffmpeg: move v4l2 patches to v4l2 patch dir (PR:3720, 1 commit, 5 files changed)
  2. Additional commits/pull requests/changes not yet merged upstream:
    • Added: [pkg] PR:16402 (perma): Fix + sign HTTP folder
    • Added: [pkg] PR:16405 (perma): [PlaylistPlayer] Do not attempt to further resolve plugin paths for failing entries
(2019-07-27, 21:42)wallacebw Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not a programmer and C makes my head hurt, so I say the above based on the README and am likely not 100% correct.   I understand the need to continue on READY based on 'captive portal' situations (DNS redirect and the like), so would adding a quick IP check  like the following  be bad idea?

This is probably something you should take up with the ConnMan mailing list as they've decided that the network is available (online) when in either ready or online states - I can't say if adding an IP check will accomplish anything more in such a situation.

If the ConnMan connmand-wait-online solution isn't working for your circumstances then (assuming you get no joy with the ConnMan developers) rolling your own solution in /storage/.config/autostart.sh might be the next best thing.
(2019-07-27, 22:17)Luck Wrote: [ -> ]Can I use this version for my raspberry pi 4?

No, not yet. And this is the x86_64 thread...

(2019-07-27, 22:17)Luck Wrote: [ -> ]Milhouse may or can I increase the graphics memory in the config to 640 MB? I kind of have graphics errors from time to time. The picture is very short- consuming. Is this still due to the build I loaded at LibreELEC? Or at the config? I have already increased the graphics memory. Otherwise I'll put it deeper again.

640MB would be excessive, typically 320MB is more than sufficient (on RPi2/RPi3/RPi3+).

Assuming you are referring to the LibreELEC 9.2 RPi4 build, try posting in this LibreELEC thread - maybe upload a sample of the video or image that is causing you a problem (don't forget your debug log (wiki)).

If your problem is with RPi/RPi2/RPi3 hardware then post more details in the RPi/RPi2 test thread (make sure you're using the latest test build from that thread).
(2019-07-27, 22:56)Milhouse Wrote: [ -> ]This is probably something you should take up with the ConnMan mailing list as they've decided that the network is available (online) when in either ready or online states - I can't say if adding an IP check will accomplish anything more in such a situation.

If the ConnMan connmand-wait-online solution isn't working for your circumstances then (assuming you get no joy with the ConnMan developers) rolling your own solution in /storage/.config/autostart.sh might be the next best thing. 

RE: ConnMan Mailing List, makes sense, fair enough.   I'm likely a fringe case but will share. 

Static IP works for me, no need to roll my own.  Smile
Media info not pulled from streaming music:

One other thing, since I've been looking at the box.   

Between #0615b and #0616, details of the playing track are not loading from streams.    

This issue has happened once before and was corrected:   REF:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2427609
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2428097

Thank again for everything that goes into keeping things updated.  

Brian
(2019-07-27, 23:33)wallacebw Wrote: [ -> ]Media info not pulled from streaming music:

Between #0615b and #0616, details of the playing track are not loading from streams.    

Do you have a sample stream URL with which to test? The most likely change in #0616 that could be causing this is PR13721.
(2019-07-28, 00:03)Milhouse Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-07-27, 23:33)wallacebw Wrote: [ -> ]Media info not pulled from streaming music:

Do you have a sample stream URL with which to test? The most likely change in #0616 that could be causing this is PR13721.

Same issue here, definitely caused by the std::thread PR. Not specific to LE. I have the problems on Android. I reverted the PR in my private build and things are working again.

You can use the official SHOUTcast addon to reproduce the problem.

I guess we should report this issue to @jfcarroll. I'll try find a simple URL that can be used for testing purposes without having to install broken add-ons (see below).

This stream seems to be reproducing the issue without the need to install the add-on:
text:
http://stream.joyhits.online:8880/joyhits.mp3

(2019-07-28, 09:37)ksooo Wrote: [ -> ]You can use the official SHOUTcast addon to reproduce the problem.

@ksooo if you mean the one in the Kodi repository, then unfortunately not - I tried installing the SHOUTcast 2 addon into a clean .kodi folder (latest Kodi master, #0727) and it seems to be badly broken - there are no Settings labels:

and when opening the addon I'm presented with a list of folders without labels:

This add-on seems to be broken since #0523 (works fine with #0522) - I assume this is due to:

(2019-05-24, 02:15)Milhouse Wrote: [ -> ]
  1. XBMC:
    • [cleanup] Remove strings.xml support (PR:16119, 1 commit, 20 files changed)

and the SHOUTcast2 add-on is not Matrix compatible.
@wallacebw / @ksooo - I've added a comment to PR13721.

With further testing I would say this issue is a bit hit & miss (although mostly miss), as I've sometimes had the song title appear when testing the latest Kodi master #0727 (rather than it endlessly showing "joyhits.mp3").

An easy way to test is to use: texturecache.py playw "http://stream.joyhits.online:8880/joyhits.mp3", no add-on required.
(2019-07-28, 13:39)Milhouse Wrote: [ -> ]@wallacebw / @ksooo - I've added a comment to PR13721.

With further testing I would say this issue is a bit hit & miss (although mostly miss), as I've sometimes had the song title appear when testing the latest Kodi master #0727 (rather than it endlessly showing "joyhits.mp3").

An easy way to test is to use: texturecache.py playw "http://stream.joyhits.online:8880/joyhits.mp3", no add-on required.

As you noted, #0727 does not appear to fix the issue for me.

No need to use texturecache, I use STRM files (no add on):  https://kodi.wiki/view/Internet_video_and_audio_streams

I mostly listen to Radio Paradise, here are the links to the streams:   https://radioparadise.com/listen/stream-links 

example STRM file (just a text file with one line named RadioParadise.STRM)
Code:
http://stream.radioparadise.com/aac-320

FYI:  I validated that metadata (artist info) is included on the stream above this morning using VLC.