Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Setting up NSF sources
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I recently moved from a NAS built on a Raspberry Pi and using SAMBA (which worked fine, but the Pi was a little under powered) to a new Xubuntu box on which I have set up NSF. The NSF is working, as I have connected it to an Xubuntu laptop on the same network. But getting Libreelec v 9.0.1 and Kodi V 18.2 to recognize it seems to be a problem. After reading about another user have ghosts of other connections, I reinstalled Libreelec and began the process all over.

When I went to Files/Add and NSF, and it brought up the IP address for my NSF Server. Then I input the path and after clicking OK things hang. Then it goes back to the previous menu and it hangs again, for several minutes. Then it tells me "The connection to the network location couldn't be established. This could be due to the network not being connected. Would you like to add it anyway?" I chose yes and then OK. It goes back to a screen and asks for a name for the media source, and after clicking OK again, it hangs again for several minutes.

This last time it went so far as to let me define the kind of content (tv shows) and download and install the TVDP scrapper. But it is still not connecting.

My NSF server setup includes the appropriate configurations (rw,sync,insecure,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,nohide) and is properly exporting to my laptop.

I also retried SMB in the new setup, and got a message saying Connection timed out.

Interestingly, when I tried the Zeroconfig browser, it recognizes all the Hosts on the network with Samba installed, but the connection still timed out.

I know I have network access, as the network is set up via a couple of hubs that are then connected to the router and I seem to be able to access the Internet fine. I have downloaded several addons.

I tried the KodiLog file addon, but it told me my file was too big. I tried LibreElec/System/Submit log a couple of times, but that failed. So I shut the system down and pulled the MiniSD card and look up the file at /STORAGE/.kodi/temp/kodi.log and put it into past.kodi.tv but when I save it, it doesn't give me any link to let you know where it is. I will keep a copy on my desktop just in case.

Thanks in advance,

Appropriate
Hi again,

I also tried https://paste.ubuntu.com/ but I keep getting a bad gateway after it has uploaded. Maybe someone could tell me how paste.kodi.tv is supposed to work. I would gladly try it again. Clicking save (cntrl s) didn't seem to do anything and it gave me no links to post or a way to ID where is is supposed to go.

Appropriate
(2019-04-20, 00:47)appropriate Wrote: [ -> ]Clicking save (cntrl s) didn't seem to do anything and it gave me no links to post or a way to ID where is is supposed to go.
It is unfortunate that the site does not provide any feedback, like a spinning circle, while it is uploading. You just need to wait while it uploads. if it is a large log it could take 15 seconds. And if you keep pressing save while it is uploading, it will take longer as it tries to save a copy for each time you press Save. Press save 5 times, and it takes 5 times longer.

Try again, but wait a bit to give it a chance to upload.
(2019-04-20, 03:00)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-20, 00:47)appropriate Wrote: [ -> ]Clicking save (cntrl s) didn't seem to do anything and it gave me no links to post or a way to ID where is is supposed to go.
It is unfortunate that the site does not provide any feedback, like a spinning circle, while it is uploading. You just need to wait while it uploads. if it is a large log it could take 15 seconds. And if you keep pressing save while it is uploading, it will take longer as it tries to save a copy for each time you press Save. Press save 5 times, and it takes 5 times longer.

Try again, but wait a bit to give it a chance to upload.   

Karellen,

Well, I gave it half an hour, or more, and I retried ubuntu pastbin as well. Ubuntu still has a bad gateway, nad nothing seems to happen with paste.kodi. I will give it another try tomorrow, and given the holiday, probably next week if nothing else works. I even went through and disabled all my browser extensions on that site and retried for another half hour or so.

Appropriate
Ok, then it sounds like you have an internet connection problem, especially if you are getting "Bad Gateway" errors
(2019-04-20, 00:05)appropriate Wrote: [ -> ]So I shut the system down and pulled the MiniSD card and look up the file at /STORAGE/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

If the log file is simply too big, because it has endless repetitions of the same log/error entry, it's okay to split the file in multiple parts, or even remove those repetitive entries as long as the core of the log file is intact.
(2019-04-20, 00:05)appropriate Wrote: [ -> ]My NSF server setup includes the appropriate configurations (rw,sync,insecure,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,nohide) and is properly exporting to my laptop.

I also retried SMB in the new setup, and got a message saying Connection timed out.

I have my Ubuntu Desktop 'server' set up like this: 192.168.1.0/24(rw,nohide,insecure,no_subtree_check,async,all_squash), and it has worked fine here.

(x)Ubuntu should also support upto SMBv4, just know that SMB does no longer support network browsing above v1.
I guess you mean nfs. Seems like your filesystem permissions are wrong.
Either squash all to a defined user and give that user ownership of all files or ensure the user id kodi runs on has proper permissions in the filesystem (which is not a good idea because on LibreELEC Kodi runs as root).
(2019-04-20, 05:59)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-20, 00:05)appropriate Wrote: [ -> ]So I shut the system down and pulled the MiniSD card and look up the file at /STORAGE/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

If the log file is simply too big, because it has endless repetitions of the same log/error entry, it's okay to split the file in multiple parts, or even remove those repetitive entries as long as the core of the log file is intact. 
Thanks Klojum,

Breaking up the file worked. Here are the links past.kodi returned.

ipazaveloz.kodi (paste)   First 4000 lines

https://paste.kodi.tv/erapesavij.kodi   Second 4000 lines

bazefudoqu.kodi (paste)    Remaining 4000+ lines

Appropriate
(2019-04-20, 06:13)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-20, 00:05)appropriate Wrote: [ -> ]My NSF server setup includes the appropriate configurations (rw,sync,insecure,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,nohide) and is properly exporting to my laptop.

I have my Ubuntu Desktop 'server' set up like this: 192.168.1.0/24(rw,nohide,insecure,no_subtree_check,async,all_squash), and it has worked fine here.

(x)Ubuntu should also support upto SMBv4, just know that SMB does no longer support network browsing above v1. 
Klojum

OK, presuming that there are permission issues, I changed /etc/exports to:

/home/users/fileservername   192.168.1.0/24(rw,async,insecure,all_squash,no_subtree_check,nohide)

and it didn't destroy NFS for my other xubuntu box.

I checked the permission at that directory and they are nobody/nobody, and trying to get those permission to flow down to all subdirectories and files does nothing.

I then went to where the drives are actually mounted and tried to change the permissions there (currently root) and nothing happened.

/etc/fstab has two entries for each of the mounted disks, they look like this:

LABEL=fileservername /mnt/fileservername auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0

mnt/fileservername   /home/users/fileservername   none    bind  0  0

Should I add something to either one of these? The LABEL= entries were created by gnome-disks so they would auto mount.

Appropriate
I don't use /etc/fstab on a Kodi client for creating NFS links, I just use Kodi's inner NFS network thingy.
(2019-04-20, 19:35)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]I don't use /etc/fstab on a Kodi client for creating NFS links, I just use Kodi's inner NFS network thingy.

Sorry I was unclear, these setting are on the Xubuntu desktop server.

Appropriate
OK,

Success.

I tried many things, and I am not entirely sure which worked, but the last thing I tried before it started working was I disabled the firewall on the NFS Desktop server.

Thank you all for your time, efforts and advice. 

I think I need advice on setting up the xubutnu desktop nfs server's firewall. I currently have it set for NFS using port 4049. I am guessing that is wrong, since it didn't work until I turned the firewall off.

Appropriate
@appropriate

You know your nickname is already placed on the left with every post you create on this forum, right?
Putting your name into every one of your posts as well seems a bit 'inappropriate' or overkill.

Just an observation.