Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Passtrough
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, how can I know if my PC is able to carry the Atmos in passtrough, etc?
If you try it Wink

You could also check the log and the capabilities of the audio device listed.

Which "PC" is it, which OS are you using, which hardware?
(2019-04-20, 17:08)DaVu Wrote: [ -> ]If you try it Wink

You could also check the log and the capabilities of the audio device listed.

Which "PC" is it, which OS are you using, which hardware?

Thank you for your answer, in fact it's for me to choose in the choice of the purchase of the bar of his
I have a AMD A6 with a A68HM-E33V2, with LibreElec, I also use on a Pi, when Kodi decodes for example the Atmos, does he send multichannel LPCM?
(2019-04-20, 17:35)Kantilo Wrote: [ -> ]I also use on a Pi, when Kodi decodes for example the Atmos, does he send multichannel LPCM?

Not for the RPi. As LPCM over HDMI can do 8 channels max and Atmos will have more. DTS-HDMA or DolbyTrueHD is possible via LPCM as those are 8 channels max (7.1)

I'm not sure if the AMD is capable of doing Atmos. Maybe @fritsch  knows.
(2019-04-20, 18:10)DaVu Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-20, 17:35)Kantilo Wrote: [ -> ]I also use on a Pi, when Kodi decodes for example the Atmos, does he send multichannel LPCM?

Not for the RPi. As LPCM over HDMI can do 8 channels max and Atmos will have more. DTS-HDMA or DolbyTrueHD is possible via LPCM as those are 8 channels max (7.1)

I'm not sure if the AMD is capable of doing Atmos. Maybe @fritsch  knows. 

Even in passtrough it is necessary that the CPU is compatible Atmos?
So if I want to enjoy the Atmos I have to use the passtrough
Yes, that's correct. Atmos requires bitstreaming and can't be done via LPCM, AFAIK
(2019-04-20, 18:33)DaVu Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, that's correct. Atmos requires bitstreaming and can't be done via LPCM, AFAIK

If I ask all these questions it is to me to choose in the choice of buying a sound bar
So, if the bitstream is not supported either by AMD, it's useless that I take a soundbar supporting all these formats
In addition, Pi does not support multichannel LPCM either? It seems to me that if I read DTS HD-MA via Pi, I do not know if it decodes it into DTS or if it can decode it in DTS HD-MA
In case I read the Atmos decoding on Kodi I imagine he must read me the core, so the AC3, or Dolby TrueHD
If I also read a 7.1 sound track and I only have 5.1, the LPCM still contains the information on the channels?
(2019-04-20, 19:06)Kantilo Wrote: [ -> ]In addition, Pi does not support multichannel LPCM either?

That's wrong. I never said, that the RPi doesn't support LPCM. I said that you can't use LPCM for Atmos because HDMI only supports 8 channels (7.1) via LPCM. That means you are able to do DTS-HDMA or DolbyTrueHD via LPCM over the RPi just fine.

Atmos has more than 8 channels (7 effect loudspeaker (2 front, 2 rear, 2 rear back, 1 center), 1 subwoofer and additionally speakers (probably 2) in the ceiling for "the voice of god" for example). As HDMI is limited to 8 channels (7.1) you can't do Atmos via LPCM.

A soundbar will never be as good as well placed speakers in your room. So please don't expect a cinema-like sound from such a device. That doesn't mean that you should not buy one. It's just to mention what you can expect and what not.
(2019-04-20, 19:06)Kantilo Wrote: [ -> ]In case I read the Atmos decoding on Kodi I imagine he must read me the core, so the AC3, or Dolby TrueHD
If Kodi can't decode Atmos you will get the core, yes. That could also be DolbyTrueHD which is then possible to push to your device via LPCM.

But seriously, if we are talking about a soundbar, I would care too much. Unless you plan to buy a 4000-5000$ soundbar Wink