Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Live TV choppy on Kodi 18.2, Windows 7, NextPVR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I have had Kodi 17.6 running on Windows 10 and Windows 7 computers for some time.  I use NextPVR as the PVR client, with the "server" version installed on the Windows 10 machine and the "client" version installed on the Windows 7 machine.  The system has worked well for me, and I appreciate all the hard work from the Kodi and Next PVR teams.

Today, I decided to start the process of upgrading to Kodi 18.2.  I began with the Windows 7 computer, and decided to install 18.2 on top of 17.6.  I took a backup using the Kodi backup tool available in the repository before I started.  The install process seemed to go smoothly, but I did get a warning that binary addons would not be installed and I would have to install them separately.  That meant, primarily for me, NextPVR.  I proceeded and the installation process completed without further notices.  

Rather than install NextPVR right away, I decided to restore from my backup, just to make sure all the settings were correct -- or at least the same as they were in 17.6 -- then I installed NextPVR.  I got an information message reminding me that the backup came from a different version of Kodi, but I proceeded with the restore anyway.  I got no errors in this process.  After the restore finished, I installed NextPVR from the repository.

When I finished installing NextPVR, I decided to try to watch live TV on the newly-upgraded machine.  Video was very choppy and unwatchable.  It was fine before the upgrade.  Recorded TV programs and other videos play back just fine.

Can anyone advise what I need to do to fix this live-TV choppiness?  Could it be that I have not yet upgraded the "server" to 18.2, or that the server is running a different version of NextPVR, or do I need to generate a log file to proceed further?

Thanks for any help.
I'll move you to NextPVR forum.
Not sure about your backup strategy but if you enabled extended time shift there could be choppiness if the pre-buffer time is too short.
If you post your debug Kod log and we can have a further look.  

Martin
(2019-04-23, 23:48)emveepee Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure about your backup strategy but if you enabled extended time shift there could be choppiness if the pre-buffer time is too short.
If you post your debug Kod log and we can have a further look.  

Martin

I just opened up Kodi and viewed a few seconds of live TV.  Here is the log of that run: https://paste.kodi.tv/izahagatap

I don't recall enabling "extended time shift".  Please note that this configuration ran fine under 17.6; no choppiness in live TV at all.  I deliberately took a backup from the 17.6 version and restored that backup to 18.2.

Thanks for the help.
(2019-04-23, 23:35)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]I'll move you to NextPVR forum.
Thank you.
@FrogFan

Unfortunately there are too many Banned Add-ons (wiki) in your log for me to ignore. They are the orange items and some of the blue ones near the start of the log.

Please read our fourmrules and view our example list of Banned Add-ons (wiki). They will need to be removed to receive assistance here.

The forum moderators have determined that Banned_addons (wiki) are present on your system. To receive assistance here, these banned items must be removed. If a clean log is not submitted within 3 days, then the relevant post(s) will be removed after this time.
(2019-04-24, 02:42)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]@FrogFan

Unfortunately there are too many Banned Add-ons (wiki) in your log for me to ignore. They are the orange items and some of the blue ones near the start of the log.

Please read our fourmrules and view our example list of Banned Add-ons (wiki). They will need to be removed to receive assistance here.

The forum moderators have determined that Banned_addons (wiki) are present on your system. To receive assistance here, these banned items must be removed. If a clean log is not submitted within 3 days, then the relevant post(s) will be removed after this time.
Huh?

I looked at the log and paid particular attention to orange and blue items.  I did not install any of them and have no idea how they got there.  I've certainly never used any of them.  I will remove as many as I can and try again to get some help.

Can I do a "clean" installation with no add-ons and effectively start over from scratch?
That is regular timeshift and the implementation did change for v18.   Consider the other options for real time or extended timeshift to see if they work better for you.

Martin
(2019-04-24, 03:17)FrogFan Wrote: [ -> ]Can I do a "clean" installation with no add-ons and effectively start over from scratch?
Yes you can.

Considering your backup strategy, I would say they came from your previous install, or you did not download Kodi from this site and downloaded a build from somewhere. Just ensure you used the Download button at the top of this page for the official version.
(2019-04-24, 03:20)emveepee Wrote: [ -> ]That is regular timeshift and the implementation did change for v18.   Consider the other options for real time or extended timeshift to see if they work better for you.

Martin

Thank you, Martin.  I don't understand what my other options are or how the extended timeshift works (or how to change it).  Can you point me somewhere that might help me figure it out?

I'm guessing that one of my options is to simply upgrade my "server" to 18.2.  Will that fix my problem since there was a change?

Thanks again for your help.
(2019-04-24, 03:33)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-24, 03:17)FrogFan Wrote: [ -> ]Can I do a "clean" installation with no add-ons and effectively start over from scratch?
Yes you can.

Considering your backup strategy, I would say they came from your previous install, or you did not download Kodi from this site and downloaded a build from somewhere. Just ensure you used the Download button at the top of this page for the official version. 
I uninstalled as many addons that seemed objectionable as I could (and probably a few that aren't, because I couldn't tell) but there are still a couple orange and blue lines in the log, which I've posted here:  paste.kodi.tv/oqafanufed

These did indeed come from a previous install.  Several years ago I tried using all kinds of addons, but when all the serious attention started getting paid to some of them awhile back, I thought I'd gotten rid of them.  I certainly didn't use them anymore.

If you see other objectionable add-ons, I would appreciate a hint on how to get rid of them.  I don't need or want them, but I don't see them anymore in the Kodi interface.

Thank you.
(2019-04-24, 03:54)FrogFan Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-24, 03:20)emveepee Wrote: [ -> ]That is regular timeshift and the implementation did change for v18.   Consider the other options for real time or extended timeshift to see if they work better for you.

Martin

Thank you, Martin.  I don't understand what my other options are or how the extended timeshift works (or how to change it).  Can you point me somewhere that might help me figure it out?

I'm guessing that one of my options is to simply upgrade my "server" to 18.2.  Will that fix my problem since there was a change?

Changing Kodi on your server won't change anything.  Go to the advanced setting in Kodi setup of the addon to change the playback modes.

Martin
(2019-04-24, 04:09)emveepee Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-24, 03:54)FrogFan Wrote: [ -> ]

Martin

Changing Kodi on your server won't change anything.  Go to the advanced setting in Kodi setup of the addon to change the playback modes.

Martin  

OK.  Thank you.  I understand where I need to go and what I need to experiment with. 

My "server" is running V4.1.1 of NPVR and Kodi on that machine is running V2.4.13  of the NPVR addon.  My Windows 7 client is running V3.3.15 of the NPVR addon.

Based on your post here, it looks like, at the very least, I need to upgrade the version of NPVR on my server to 4.2.4 before doing anything else.  I'm guessing the version of the NPVR addon I'm running in Kodi on my server is irrelevant to my choppiness problem, right?

Thank you again for your support.
You can test with real time streaming if that is choppy you have a different problem altogether.

Martin
(2019-04-24, 05:19)emveepee Wrote: [ -> ]You can test with real time streaming if that is choppy you have a different problem altogether.

Martin
Hello,

Today I updated my Windows 10 "server" to V4.2.4 of NPVR.  I tested Live TV on the server running Kodi 17.6 (V2.4.13  of the NPVR addon) and there was no choppiness.  Then I tested the Windows 7 computer running Kodi 18.2, first using real time streaming and next using time shifting.  With real-time streaming (this is what was selected on updating Kodi to 18.2), I had the choppiness I reported.  When I switched to time shifting, Live TV was smooth, with no choppiness.

You indicate above that choppiness with real time streaming is a problem.  I did not have a choppiness problem before upgrading to 18.2.  I don't know whether to pursue this further or not.  I'm open to your suggestions.

I have no idea what time shifting is, but I'll do some research to figure out if there are any implications of choosing that option that I don't want.  For now, though, the choppiness has disappeared.

Thanks again for the support.

Ed
Pages: 1 2