Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cronological Items How show in cinematic universes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think this may be a kodi request, but not sure if skin can solve.

I have "movie sets" enabled in kodi settings as i do like to group movie sets together in main libraries. On the drive, I do put the movie folders in its collection folder.

I wanted to show all the marvel universe movies in one place in order of release to watch it that way. Best way I could think of was create a smart playlist, using this matching rule:

<rule field="path" operator="startswith"> <value>E:\KODI Movies\Move Name Collection\</value> </rule>

I have 1 rule for each collection or movie in this playlist. I then added another mq8 menu item and linked it to that playlist.

It works!!! BUT then movies are still in collections Sad

Is there anyway to keep global move sets enabled but not for a view, menu item, or playlist? Not sure if there was a kodi setting, mq setting, or other override.

Would you suggesting doing this another way?
(2019-04-26, 03:14)abba77 Wrote: [ -> ]I think this may be a kodi request, but not sure if skin can solve.

I have "movie sets" enabled in kodi settings as i do like to group movie sets together in main libraries. On the drive, I do put the movie folders in its collection folder.

I wanted to show all the marvel universe movies in one place in order of release to watch it that way. Best way I could think of was create a smart playlist, using this matching rule:

<rule field="path" operator="startswith"> <value>E:\KODI Movies\Move Name Collection\</value> </rule>

I have 1 rule for each collection or movie in this playlist. I then added another mq8 menu item and linked it to that playlist.

Is there anyway to keep global move sets enabled but not for a view, menu item, or playlist? Not sure if there was a kodi setting, mq setting, or other override.

You could always make your own "Movie Set" and assign all Marvel movies to that set.
(2019-04-26, 03:23)RonnieG3 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-26, 03:14)abba77 Wrote: [ -> ]I think this may be a kodi request, but not sure if skin can solve.

You could always make your own "Movie Set" and assign all Marvel movies to that set. 
I thought of moving them all to one collection, but i also like the idea of keeping them in their own collection series, and what I read, a movie can belong in one movie set only.
so i cant have both options it seems thought 2 different custom menu items, one or the other?

would be nice to have e.g. the 3 iron man movies together if thats all i want to see, but then have them also all in story order.
i guess i could have the 1 collection, and just use sort order at run time to be movie name, or release date.
@abba77

With a bit of fiddling of filenames, you can create a "Universe" collection, but still keep correct Movie Sets and sort order in the normal listings.

Lets say these are your movies...
xml:
1 Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
2 Iron Man (2008)
3 Iron Man 2 (2010)
4 Thor (2011)

You would then have a movie folder and the movie file inside. The movie folder is correctly named. The movie filename is adjusted...
f:\Movies\Marvel\Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)\MCU01-Captain America: The First Avenger (2011).mkv
f:\Movies\Marvel\Iron Man (2008)\MCU02-Iron Man (2008).mkv
f:\Movies\Marvel\Iron Man 2 (2010)\MCU03-Iron Man 3(2010).mkv
etc, etc

The MCU00 is the sort order for your playlist

Then...
Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title must be enabled
Create a Smart Playlist based on filenames must contain MCU

The nett result is that Kodi will use the folder name to scrape and movies are shown as per normal in the library. The smart playlist will use and sort on filenames.

New Main Menu option which allows Cinematic Universe sub-menu

Listing of Movies in Canonical Order

The Main Movie list still sorts according to Title
Thanks. It seems this is not MQ8 related, so sorry Wanilton for taking up space here.

Karellen, thanks for the suggestion. Will have to play with this and see how it goes. Seems the "movie sets" setting should not be enabled then, right.

My current file structure example:
f:\Movies\The Incredible Hulk (2008)\The Incredible Hulk (2008).mkv
f:\Movies\Iron Man Collection\Iron Man (2008)\Iron Man (2008).mkv
f:\Movies\Iron Man Collection\Iron Man 2 (2010)\Iron Man 2 (2010).mkv

You will notice i have an extra folder level for collections.

In Kodi, with "movie sets" enabled, it shows 2 items, The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man Collection.
Going into Iron Man Collection will then show the 2 Iron Man movies.

If I disable movie sets, then all 3 movies will show at the same level, allowing your suggestion.
Will that suggestion still work if I leave movie sets enabled, or will it group them again?
(2019-04-26, 04:36)abba77 Wrote: [ -> ]Will that suggestion still work if I leave movie sets enabled, or will it group them again?
Sorry, I have never tried that as I am opposite to you and don't like sets in my main listings.

I no longer have that test setup, so I cannot easily check. But I will guess it will be the same as that setting is a Global setting.
No prob in post here, I try using video library tags work and use order by Title Sort Name (it´s possible change via Kodi GUI the Title Sort Name, including MCU00, after I only need create smartplaylist based in tags and done). Best side, don´t need change filenames.

With Tags I added the movies in UMC, and change Sort Title Name I create the correct Order via smartplaylist editor.
i was looking at tags also, but if still using "movie sets" option, think it will still group movies and now allow sorting of individual moves.
too bad cant turn on or off as skin setting based on view or menu item. right now its a kodi global setting.
I have to decide if i still want to use sets or not first i guess.
I use tags and order by Sort Title Name, I only need insert after the movie name UMC00, UMC01 in Sort Title Name via Kodi GUI (context menu). It´s only filter in database the items, your previous sets continue fine. If you need 2, it´s solve.

I have only 4 Marvel movies items but is enough for test and create correct chronological order.

Ant-Man
American Captain: Civil War
Dark Panther
Avengers: Infinite War

Another way is creating one Set with All items UMC, and change sort title, no need to use tags, work well too but lost original sets for these items.
Sorry @Wanilton for the images, they are from about 8 months ago when I tested this.

If you like I can split these posts into metadata scrapers area as it is not really a skin problem.