Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi-18.2 on Sony-X900E with Sony HT-Z9F Soundbar, suggested setting?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I plan to run Koid-18.2 on Sony-X900E smart-tv with Sony HT-Z9F Soundbar connected via HDMI ARC.
What is the suggested settings of KODI and my device?

Number of Channels: ? [2.0 or 5.1?, I know HDMI-ARC can not passthrough 7.1 audio]
Enable passthrough: ? [I guess ON]
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver. [I guess ON]
Enable Dolby Digital Transcoding: [I guess ON, for videos with 7.1 sound]
Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) capable receiver. [ I donot know ]
DTS capable receiver. [ I donot know ]
Finally another user with a Sony Bravia, I cannot answer your question as I do not have a sound bar so I would suggest you try these settings and see what works best for you. If you reply with what worked best then that could be used by others in the future.

However you may be able to assist with another problem. On my Sony Bravia I have Kodi 18.2 installed, I also have the Android 8 (Oreo) upgrade.

The two updates occurred within two days of each other but I have an issue where video playback will periodically stop and go back to the Kodi menu.

I am going to assume you are still on Android 7 because Sony pulled the Android 8 upgrade after problems arose with attached sound bars, if you do install Kodi let me know if you get the same problem where video periodically stops. I put the debug log file on here but nobody had replied despite alot of views which suggests there are not many of us Bravia owners and this is not going to be easy for the Devs to replicate.

I will probably get a sound bar when Sony fix the Android 8 issue, so I may end up using your settings :-)
(2019-05-11, 21:47)ProjectVRD Wrote: [ -> ]Finally another user with a Sony Bravia, I cannot answer your question as I do not have a sound bar so I would suggest you try these settings and see what works best for you. If you reply with what worked best then that could be used by others in the future.

However you may be able to assist with another problem. On my Sony Bravia I have Kodi 18.2 installed, I also have the Android 8 (Oreo) upgrade.

The two updates occurred within two days of each other but I have an issue where video playback will periodically stop and go back to the Kodi menu.

I am going to assume you are still on Android 7 because Sony pulled the Android 8 upgrade after problems arose with attached sound bars, if you do install Kodi let me know if you get the same problem where video periodically stops. I put the debug log file on here but nobody had replied despite alot of views which suggests there are not many of us Bravia owners and this is not going to be easy for the Devs to replicate.

I will probably get a sound bar when Sony fix the Android 8 issue, so I may end up using your settings :-)
My 75X9000E do not have an Android 8.0 upgrade yet。
What is your device model?
(2019-05-11, 21:47)ProjectVRD Wrote: [ -> ]Finally another user with a Sony Bravia, I cannot answer your question as I do not have a sound bar so I would suggest you try these settings and see what works best for you. If you reply with what worked best then that could be used by others in the future.

" video periodically stops. ", did you checked your video code rate?
The network of Bravia is very poor, both lan and wifi.
If avg code rate is more than 60Mbps, you can have " video periodically stops. ".
(2019-05-12, 05:53)kirbyzhou Wrote: [ -> ]

" video periodically stops. ", did you checked your video code rate?
The network of Bravia is very poor, both lan and wifi.
If avg code rate is more than 60Mbps, you can have " video periodically stops. ".

It's happening on videos as low as 5Mbps and have the XE8396, I suspect it is the new OS as just last night the TV intermittently lost network connection at about... you guessed it, 40 minute intervals. I have now raised a ticket with Sony and I will trying Kodi with videos on a USB stick tonight.

There is a little bit of irony that this issue has been annoying me for three weeks and then just as I find another Bravia user I see connection issues on the Bravia homescreen, by the way I found out Kodi suppresses notifications last night.
My KODI-Settings in the Audio-Section (Sony KD75-XD9405 - Android 7).

Number of Channels: 2
Passthrough: ON
Dolby Digital AC3: ON
Enable Dolby Digital Transcoding: ON

The rest: OFF

Another possibility is the so called "Shitty-"version, which will decode DTS. But be aware! Sometimes is functional, sometimes not (for me it does function, unfortunately not with my headphones)
I got the exact same setup kd65-xe9005 and the HT-ZF9 soundbar.

Got the latest sony fw oreo from a couple of days ago.

I know I will never get Dolby Atmos but at least DD+.

I got DD+ working in Netflix and in Plex but can only get DD in Kodi.

Tried all suggested settings but still only DD in kodi.
(2019-05-26, 13:50)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Try: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk for DD+ - what works?
Sorry, it took some time to try it.

Have loaded the suggested apk now and tested it. (Git:20190427-502d31dfa0)

Display soundbar output in Netflix, random 4k Netflix movie: DD+

Sony KD65XE9005, Android 8.0.0, PKG6.6510.0250EUA

Tested in Kodi with
Bumblebee 4K True-HD, display output on soundbar: DD+ in Plex,
Trolls 1080p DTS 7.1, display output on soundbar: DTS-ES MTRX in Plex

Speakers 7.1
Dolby Digital (AC3) - ON
Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) - ON
DTS - ON or OFF (Same result)
DTS-HD - ON or OFF (Same result)

Display output on soundbar: LPCM on both files.
------------------
Speakers 2.0
Dolby Digital (AC3) - ON
Dolby Digital Transcoding (AC3)- ON
DTS - ON
DTS-HD - ON

Display output on soundbar: DD on Bumblebee, DTS-ES MTRX on Trolls
-------------------
Speakers 2.0
Dolby Digital (AC3) - ON
Dolby Digital Transcoding (AC3)- OFF
DTS - ON
DTS-HD - ON

Display output on soundbar: LPCM on Bumblebee, DTS-ES MTRX on Trolls
Post your Debug Log. Your results make no sense from kodi pov.

Also make sure that "Sync playback to display" is not enabled.
(2019-05-30, 18:15)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Post your Debug Log. Your results make no sense from kodi pov.

Also make sure that "Sync playback to display" is not enabled.

https://paste.kodi.tv/dozojoyobu

Sync playback to display was not enabled.
I did not any DD+ playback in the entire logfile.

Stream #0:2(eng): Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 640 kb/s <- that's not DD+
(2019-05-30, 20:00)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]I did not any DD+ playback in the entire logfile.

Stream #0:2(eng): Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 640 kb/s <- that's not DD+

Yes, I only get DD+ in Plex Android or Netflix Android, only DD playback in Kodi on the same Sony Android system.
I try again: The file you play is AC3, kodi cannot make DD+ from an AC3 source.

Play a DD+ sample and see.
Tried playing a DD+ sample from the Wiki and it showed up as DD+ on the soundbar!

However, how come it doesn't work on any of my movies that are Dolby Atmos or Truehd? Playing them on Plex shows them as DD+.