Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can your setup play these sample clips correctly?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so I just recently bought some hardware for a customer htpc setup. It's an i5 8400, so comes with onboard gpu with 4k hevc hardware decoding, etc.

Anyway to cut a long story short, if I go to the jellyfish page that has 4k sample content, it says on there that if you can play the 140mbps jellyfish test file (http://jell.yfish.us/media/jellyfish-140...-10bit.mkv) that you should be able to play anything. Well I can play that file fine without any stutter. In fact I can even play the 400mbs without stutter. 

But there are some samples such as this one (http://downloads.4ksamples.com/videos/sa....2160p.mkv) which is only 50mbit bitrate. If I play that, there are about a total of 4 or 5 areas that has some stutter in that one minute clip (for example, when the writing "ELYSIUM" comes up, and also when the spaceship flies off at the end. 

So then I tested it on the nvidia shield as that's a pretty solid device but it ran even worse on that. Jerky all over the place. There are other clips as well on that 4ksamples site (for example the football one) which is even more jerky.

I also downloaded one 4k movie that was 60mbit bitrate and it also stutters in some parts, probably once every 10-15 seconds or so. 

So yeah I've been debugging this for the past few days and can't seem to work it out. I've tried other players and they're all similar. Hardware decoding is definitely working so I guess my question at the moment is, is there anyone out there that can play that Elysium sample without a single hitch? I suppose there is a chance that the file is poorly encoded but then all ones I've tried on that site are similar, plus the movie I downloaded is also similar. Can't work it out!
(2019-05-19, 14:27)consumer76 Wrote: [ -> ]Ok so I just recently bought some hardware for a customer htpc setup. It's an i5 8400, so comes with onboard gpu with 4k hevc hardware decoding, etc.

Anyway to cut a long story short, if I go to the jellyfish page that has 4k sample content, it says on there that if you can play the 140mbps jellyfish test file (http://jell.yfish.us/media/jellyfish-140...-10bit.mkv) that you should be able to play anything. Well I can play that file fine without any stutter. In fact I can even play the 400mbs without stutter. 

But there are some samples such as this one (http://downloads.4ksamples.com/videos/sa....2160p.mkv) which is only 50mbit bitrate. If I play that, there are about a total of 4 or 5 areas that has some stutter in that one minute clip (for example, when the writing "ELYSIUM" comes up, and also when the spaceship flies off at the end. 

So then I tested it on the nvidia shield as that's a pretty solid device but it ran even worse on that. Jerky all over the place. There are other clips as well on that 4ksamples site (for example the football one) which is even more jerky.

I also downloaded one 4k movie that was 60mbit bitrate and it also stutters in some parts, probably once every 10-15 seconds or so. 

So yeah I've been debugging this for the past few days and can't seem to work it out. I've tried other players and they're all similar. Hardware decoding is definitely working so I guess my question at the moment is, is there anyone out there that can play that Elysium sample without a single hitch? I suppose there is a chance that the file is poorly encoded but then all ones I've tried on that site are similar, plus the movie I downloaded is also similar. Can't work it out!
Ok found out what it was. The refresh rate wasn't matching the refresh rate of the movie. I thought kodi would adjust automatically but admittedly I've been testing more with mpv rather than kodi. Now that I know that a smooth movie is possible, I can work on getting it to work properly in kodi.
Well seems like that option is there but disabled. Enabled it and all good now.