Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Documentaries separated
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am wondering how to add documentaries on a separate home-tile/button.
When I add a smart-playlist to filter movies by "path" in my documentary-folder on the hdd, nothing shows up. No matter if I choose "begin with", "contains", and so on.

What is the common approach for this quest?

My hard disk has 3 separate folders:
/movies/..
/tvshows/..
/documentaries/..
Furthermore, there are documentaries designed like "tv-shows" in multiple episodes, and some that appear like movies in single episodes on single topics.
If I add a source I MUST choose between "Movies" and "TV-Shows". I assume this has effect on how the content is displayed later on, right?

Do I need an Addon for documentaries? I mean it's nothing uncommon to watch documentaries but kodi (or pellucid?) seems to neglect these completely.
(2019-05-21, 12:45)xcy7e Wrote: [ -> ]I am wondering how to add documentaries on a separate home-tile/button.
Custom home items (wiki)

(2019-05-21, 12:45)xcy7e Wrote: [ -> ]When I add a smart-playlist to filter movies by "path" in my documentary-folder on the hdd, nothing shows up.
Post a screenshot of the Playlist settings. If you know where the playlist xml file is, post the code instead.

(2019-05-21, 12:49)xcy7e Wrote: [ -> ]If I add a source I MUST choose between "Movies" and "TV-Shows". I assume this has effect on how the content is displayed later on, right?
Yes. Movies are shown in the Movies menu and.... yep you know what comes next.

You cannot mix Movies and TV Shows into a single playlist. Decide where you want all your documentaries- either in Movies or in TV Shows. I would suggest all in TV Shows.

(2019-05-21, 12:49)xcy7e Wrote: [ -> ]Do I need an Addon for documentaries?
To do what?

(2019-05-21, 12:49)xcy7e Wrote: [ -> ]I mean it's nothing uncommon to watch documentaries but kodi (or pellucid?) seems to neglect these completely.
Why is it neglected? There is nothing special about documentaries and they are handled in the same way as all other movies and tv shows are handled.

If you don't like where they end up, then that is not a Kodi problem, but a problem at the scraper site and how they have them allocated. Kodi just does what it is told by the scraper sites.
Thanks for your quick reply.

The playlist-xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="movies">
    <name>Dokus</name>
    <match>all</match>
    <rule field="path" operator="contains">
        <value>/Dokumentationen</value>
    </rule>
</smartplaylist>

The question for the addon / complaints about neglecting documentaries is because I think documentaries are neither movies nor tv-shows, therefor should be treaten separately. It also appears to be very difficult for me as a super user to split movies/tvshows/documentaries and I think a casual user will never be able to achieve this.
Your playlist. A bit difficult to figure out as I don't see your folder structure so I can confirm it matches, but In your <value>/Dokumentationen</value> can you add the full path, eg f:\Dokumentationen and change the operator to Starts with

Does that work?