Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Only ask once if a data source not being connected should be kept when cleaning up th
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How could one make Kodi only ask once if a data source not being connected should be kept when cleaning up the library (and not for each single drive) and apply the same answer to all of these data sources?
This really belongs to the feature request forum. There is no real easy user interface allowance for something like this, and in all probability isn't an easy 'hack. I can turn this around and suggest that if your collection of media is getting to the point of numerous drives, that perhaps a dedicated NAS would work out. I often am presented with this requester when cleaning and it's a simple click or two, there is the expectation that all your media is accessible. It should be noted that you can update or scan individual sources one at a time, offending scrapes or otherwise erroneous listing can be removed one at a time and is in effect a local individual clean.

Alternatively just keep your collection of sources online.
Quote: I can turn this around and suggest that if your collection of media is getting to the point of numerous drives, that perhaps a dedicated NAS would work out.

Not that cheap such. Extremely effort to move the files to a NAS, I guess. And what to do with the old drives then?

Quote:It should be noted that you can update or scan individual sources one at a time
Also clean up one at a time? E.g. clean H: only?  If yes, how?

Quote: Alternatively just keep your collection of sources online.
Well, not possible, I guess.
(2019-05-21, 15:34)Nerls Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I can turn this around and suggest that if your collection of media is getting to the point of numerous drives, that perhaps a dedicated NAS would work out.
Not that cheap such. Extremely effort to move the files to a NAS, I guess. And what to do with the old drives then?

It's Christmas time, either you keep them as a full fledged back-up, or sell the drives -'profit'- or astute users would have bought into NAS versions, but I'm told that some public domain NAS software will allow for just about any type of drive and size. Might be time to shuck some of those clams.
Quote:It should be noted that you can update or scan individual sources one at a time
Also clean up one at a time? E.g. clean H: only?  If yes, how?

My meaning was scan or clean manually individual videos, do you ever have all the drives up at once, or is it always piece meal? You might entertain multiple Kodi portable installations, each having their own set of drives for their library. Not only would this give you greater control but would in all likelihood give you a snapper set-up.
Quote:Alternatively just keep your collection of sources online.
Well, not possible, I guess.

If these are external drives, perhaps a multiple USB hub might look good for that? Be a little more liberal with your hardware information and perhaps there are more out-of-the-box solutions for you. I'm thinking of a stacked raspberry pi3 set-up I saw, wonderful for this kind of thing. Sometimes the impossible is more possible than one thinks. 
Alright, of course, yes, I understand, but it seems as if there are quite many clams to shuck in Christmastime only because I want Kodi to ask only once. And to use such Software, set up such NAS with the external hard drives - a good idea, thank you - might be a bit too complicated for a less astute user, I assume.

Quote:My meaning was scan or clean manually individual videos
Scan (to check if it is available) and manually clean each single video not available one by one? Extremely hard work, I would think, I am not sure.

Quote:do you ever have all the drives up at once, or is it always piece meal?
Always piece meal, not more than 2 drives up at the same time, I would say.

Quote:You might entertain multiple Kodi portable installations, each having their own set of drives for their library. Not only would this give you greater control but would in all likelihood give you a snapper set-up.
Yes yes, a snapper one in any case. So I would have to search for a movie in each single Kodi instead of a single one?

Quote:If these are external drives, perhaps a multiple USB hub might look good for that?
Well, yes, but actually I do not need all of the drives to be connected at the same time (besides of Kodi cleaning them up at the same time). And to handle about 12 drives, connecting, disconnecting (is very hard on Win, doese not work at all) would be quite effortable, I guess.

Quote:Be a little more liberal with your hardware information and perhaps there are more out-of-the-box solutions for you.
Just a simple common cheap Notebook with 2 3.0 and 1 2.0 USB connections and the drives.

Quote:I'm thinking of a stacked raspberry pi3 set-up I saw, wonderful for this kind of thing.
But I do not have any idea of anything, and I guess to set up such would need some knowledge.
(2019-05-22, 00:04)Nerls Wrote: [ -> ]Just a simple common cheap Notebook with 2 3.0 and 1 2.0 USB connections and the drives.
You may have wrangled yourself into a bit of a trap. These drives are eventually going to let you down (fail) although I do understand how you got into it. With large storage drives coming around at more or less better prices, you might start thinking of consolidating with an eye towards nas or desktop. Desktop will allow you to shuck most of the drives, and allow NAS quality (when there is the $ available) with less heat, with a bit of foresight, the desktop can migrate into a NAS system down the line and drive trays can have switches.

Multiple Kodi installations, could be set as TV shows on one set-up and Movies on the other, oth if all you collect is movies, then a division in any way might be practicable, searching could be made easy, the movie starts with the letter M to Z it's on the second set-up etc.

You can buy hubs with switches, and if you think switching on/off drives is far too much effort then you haven't lost a drive and had to replace it's contents yet.

(2019-05-22, 00:04)Nerls Wrote: [ -> ]But I do not have any idea of anything, and I guess to set up such would need some knowledge.
The wiki's are the oracle for this software. If you're serious in maintaining a great HTPC, check out the options in the hardware forum to gain some knowledge. Kodi was meant to incorporate your home collection of media into an easy to use and all encompassing library and player, what you have suggests a contravention of the forum rules and a fix is unlikely to get traction with developers.
Quote:You may have wrangled yourself into a bit of a trap. These drives are eventually going to let you down (fail) although I do understand how you got into it.
Yes, the very cheapest set up, I would think.

Yes yes, such a NAS or Desktop would really be great, I assume, and if I had such a $ and another $ I would...

Quote:Multiple Kodi installations, could be set as TV shows on one set-up and Movies on the other
Alright, so two set ups, defivided into series and movies (also concerts) could be good. I thought multiple set ups would mean far more than two ones.

Quote:then a division in any way might be practicable, searching could be made easy, the movie starts with the letter M to Z it's on the second set-up etc.
Yes, one issue more to care about instead of letting Kodi do it. Searching movies with different titles, alternate titles might be more unconvenient, one had to keep the devision, manage two (or more) Kodis, etc. The transfer of movies and series now without the caring about such a devision is uncomfortable enough.

Quote: You can buy hubs with switches, and if you think switching on/off drives is far too much effort then you haven't lost a drive and had to replace it's contents yet.
No no, not that much effort, I had have to recover some drives yet, that is no fun.

Quote:The wiki's are the oracle for this software. If you're serious in maintaining a great HTPC, check out the options in the hardware forum to gain some knowledge.
Yes, OK, thank you!