Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Attention Team Kodi: Keymap Editor has been abandoned
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Keymap Editor in the Kodi main repo has been abandoned:

• The maintainer has not posted in the Kodi forum in almost 1 year
  • He has not posted in the Keymap Editor thread in more than 3 years
  • A pull request was submitted 2 years ago to incorporate the video playback speed (tempo) control for Krypton but it still has not been merged

Can we get this sorted please?
Does it still work though?
It is fully compatible with Krypton and Leia - the only problem with the published version is the lack of support for the newer Kodi functions which keys can be mapped to.  I can point out a fork that has the changes already merged if you want to clone it and submit it.
@Hitcher, it was developed by @tamland ?. Not sure if he is still active? I'll try hitting him up over team chat. Nevertheless it might be worth us moving to a shared repository for maintenance.
(2019-05-30, 14:42)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]Does it still work though?
The reason I really dislike it is that just opening the addon - not saving a new key, just clicking the shortcut - disables all existing user remote configs.  No prompt, no warning - and no reason if a new key's not being generated.
I imagine that's still the case - I've posted in the addon thread a couple of times about it but not checked recently.
For me that's broken.
(2019-05-30, 15:55)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]The reason I really dislike it is that just opening the addon - not saving a new key, just clicking the shortcut - disables all existing user remote configs. 
I don't recall that happening when I just opened the addon.  The description in the info panel does say it will remove existing custom key mappings though.  But once you create the mappings you want in Keymap Editor, I don't see the problem.  In my opinion, Kodi is broken by design if you require the user to manually edit keymap files in order to enable the playback speed control.
(2019-05-31, 01:27)MB32 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-05-30, 15:55)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]The reason I really dislike it is that just opening the addon - not saving a new key, just clicking the shortcut - disables all existing user remote configs. 
I don't recall that happening when I just opened the addon.  The description in the info panel does say it will remove existing custom key mappings though.  But once you create the mappings you want in Keymap Editor, I don't see the problem.  In my opinion, Kodi is broken by design if you require the user to manually edit keymap files in order to use the playback speed control. 
It still does it.  Tested on windows nightly.  Click on keymap addon and every .xml in the keymaps folder (except gen.xml) is instantly turned into an .xml.bak.0
What's wrong with expecting someone to manually edit an .xml file?
(2019-05-31, 01:43)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]What's wrong with expecting someone to manually edit an .xml file?

The Keymap Editor lists all of the Kodi functions which can be assigned to keys on the remote control.  How can you expect the average user to know that a function like Playback Speed even exists  if they don't see it listed in the Keymap Editor?  Why should we expect them to search for documentation on key bindings, function names, and XML syntax when the task could be accomplished in moments with a few button presses?  You seriously don't grasp the benefits of a GUI for key bindingsHuh

The Keymap Editor is incredibly convenient, especially when you have multiple remotes with different keyboard layouts.  If we require the user to manually edit XML files, the majority of people who would want  to use functions like Playback Speed will not be using those functions:  The more difficult you make things, the less people will use them.  Why would you want to purposely make the user interface more difficult and complex?

The Keymap Editor is also useful for troubleshooting purposes.  For example, I can bind keys to a Kodi function on one remote through the XML method, but cannot bind keys on another remote to the same function.  In cases like this, the Keymap Editor can help you to determine what key code is actually being sent, and whether a bug report should be filed for improper code page translation.
(2019-05-31, 02:54)MB32 Wrote: [ -> ]How can you expect the average user to know that a function like Playback Speed even exists  if they don't see it listed in the Keymap Editor 
I'd say it goes something like this...
> wonders if it's possible
> posts somewhere (here, other forum, reddit, wherever) to ask the question
> pointed at a forum thread / the wiki / someone shows them what to add

To me that's at least as easy as browsing through every function in the keymap addon.  Who does that?
Where the keymap addon has the advantage is in actually making the key - if a user isn't familiar with keymaps.
Going from 'It's a bit harder' to 'kodi is deliberately broken' because one edge function is missing in an addon is a bit of a stretch in my opinion though.
(2019-05-31, 03:18)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]browsing through every function in the keymap addon.  Who does that?
I do.  And many others, too.  In fact, I would argue that people are far more likely to browse the functions in Keymap Editor than to search online: in the Keymap Editor, every action is categorized by type, so it can be found quickly and easily.
Quote:Where the keymap addon has the advantage is in actually making the key - if a user isn't familiar with keymaps.
Please define "making the key".  (I don't see how that is easier or necessary, if Keymap Editor is kept current, instead of ignoring pull requests.)
Quote:Going from 'It's a bit harder' to 'kodi is deliberately broken' because one edge function is missing in an addon is a bit of a stretch in my opinion though.
It is no more of a "stretch" than you saying "Keymap Editor is broken because it overwrites my custom key map", since it's trivial to recreate that in Keymap Editor !

If you truly care whether Keymap Editor can import a custom keymap, the feature could be added.  But the XML method cannot be improved any farther.  You basically complain that Keymap Editor was not user-friendly enough for you -- and then you argue that everyone should be editing XML files instead?!  We have obviously reached an impasse here.  I submit that Keymap Editor should become part of Kodi's core functionality.  Then both of our complaints could be easily addressed: the Keymap Editor config file will be Kodi's default custom keymap file, and you can still edit it manually if you like.
(2019-05-31, 04:04)MB32 Wrote: [ -> ] 
Quote:Going from 'It's a bit harder' to 'kodi is deliberately broken' because one edge function is missing in an addon is a bit of a stretch in my opinion though.
It is no more of a "stretch" than you saying "Keymap Editor is broken because it overwrites my custom key map", since it's trivial to recreate that in Keymap Editor 
It really isn't.  The addon has a huge flaw - in my opinion.
Not because it disables existing keymaps, because it disables them without a prompt.

But the addon isn't kodi.  An addon isn't part of kodi, and the keymap editor certainly isn't necessary to run kodi.  It doesn't bring extra functionality, just makes setup a bit easier for less experienced users. 
Quote:You basically complain that Keymap Editor was not user-friendly enough for you
I basically don't.  I don't like it and am reluctant to recommend it because of the behaviour I've described.  If it was fixed and came smelling of strawberries I still wouldn't have any use for it because I can do more and quicker manually.  But I'd be happy to recommend it.
(2019-05-31, 04:24)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]It really isn't.  The addon has a huge flaw - in my opinion. Not because it disables existing keymaps, because it disables them without a prompt.
That's not a "huge flaw" (#princess_and_the_pea) ---it's a minuscule flaw which only takes a few lines of code to fix.
Quote:But the addon isn't kodi.
It will be.
Quote:And the keymap editor certainly isn't necessary to run kodi.
This is absurd.  If everyone adopted your logic, there would be a permanent feature freeze on Kodi because no improvements are "necessary to run it"
Quote:It doesn't bring extra functionality, just makes setup a bit easier for less experienced users.
Re-assigning the keys on your remote without editing a text file -IS - "extra functionality." What part of that do you not understand? Your motive for participation here is clearly to argue, not to improve the product.
Quote:I don't like it and am reluctant to recommend it because of the behaviour I've described.
You are miles off topic here, and you just keep changing the subject to keep the argument going.  It's not about what you like to recommend.  This thread is about a code management issue that involves the official repository.  If you want to debate how Keymap Editor should work, go and post in the Keymap Editor thread.
Quote:If it was fixed and came smelling of strawberries I still wouldn't have any use for it because I can do more and quicker manually.  But I'd be happy to recommend it.
This thread is not about your personal preferences.  If you want to change the subject, start your own thread please.
as this is only  (special://userdata/keymaps')  a keymap editor could be added to any skin 
https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_keymaps
to add new items to  script.keymap you would just need to edit actions.py

this looks like the part
pyhon:

_activate_window = [
  "settings"                 , "Settings",
  "picturessettings"         , "Pictures Settings",
  "programssettings"         , "Programs Settings",
  "weathersettings"          , "Weather Settings",
  "musicsettings"            , "Music Settings",
  "systemsettings"           , "System Settings",
  "videossettings"           , "Videos Settings",
  "servicesettings"          , "Service Settings",
  "appearancesettings"       , "Appearance Settings",
  "pvrsettings"              , "PVR Settings",
  "skinsettings"             , "Skin Settings",
  "addonbrowser"             , "Addon Browser",
  "addonsettings"            , "Addon Settings",
  "profilesettings"          , "Profile Settings",
  "locksettings"             , "Lock Settings",
  "contentsettings"          , "Content Settings",
  "profiles"                 , "Profiles",
  "systeminfo"               , "System info",
  "testpattern"              , "Test Pattern",
  "screencalibration"        , "Screen Calibration",
  "loginscreen"              , "Login Screen",
  "filebrowser"              , "Filebrowser",
  "networksetup"             , "Networksetup",
  "accesspoints"             , "Access Points",
  "mediasource"              , "Mediasource Dialog",
  "startwindow"              , "Start",
  "favourites"               , "Favourites",
  "contextmenu"              , "Context Menu",
  "peripherals"              , "Peripheral manager",
  "peripheralsettings"       , "Peripherals settings",
  "mediafilter"              , "Media filter",
  "visualisationpresetlist"  , "Vis. Preset List",
  "filestackingdialog"       , "Filestacking Dialog",
  "smartplaylisteditor"      , "Smart Playlist Editor",
  "smartplaylistrule"        , "Smart Playlist Rule",
  "shutdownmenu"             , "Shutdown Menu",
  "fullscreeninfo"           , "Fullscreen Info",
  "subtitlesearch"           , "Subtitle Search",
  "weather"                  , "Weather",
  "screensaver"              , "Screensaver",
  "pictureinfo"              , "Picture Info",
  "addoninformation"         , "Addon Info",
  "musicplaylist"            , "Music Playlist",
  "musicfiles"               , "Music Files",
  "musiclibrary"             , "Music Library",
  "musicplaylisteditor"      , "Music Playlist Editor",
  "musicinformation"         , "Music Info",
  "musicoverlay"             , "Music Overlay",
  "songinformation"          , "Song Info",
  "karaoke"                  , "Karaoke Lyrics",
  "karaokeselector"          , "Karaoke Song Selector",
  "karaokelargeselector"     , "Karaoke Selector",
  "movieinformation"         , "Video Info",
  "videofiles"               , "Video Files",
  "videooverlay"             , "Video Overlay",
  "videomenu"                , "Video Menu",
  "videoosd"                 , "Video OSD",
  "videotimeseek"            , "Video Time Seek",
  "videobookmarks"           , "Video Bookmarks",
  "videoplaylist"            , "Video Playlist",
  "pvrguideinfo"             , "PVR Guide Info",
  "pvrrecordinginfo"         , "PVR Recording Info",
  "pvrtimersetting"          , "PVR Timer Setting",
  "pvrgroupmanager"          , "PVR Group Manager",
  "pvrchannelmanager"        , "PVR Channel Manager",
  "pvrguidesearch"           , "PVR Guide Search",
  "pvrchannelscan"           , "PVR Channel Scan",
  "pvrupdateprogress"        , "PVR Update Progress",
  "pvrosdchannels"           , "PVR OSD Channels",
  "pvrosdguide"              , "PVR OSD Guide",
  "pvrosddirector"           , "PVR OSD Director",
  "pvrosdcutter"             , "PVR OSD Cutter",
  "tvchannels"               , "TV Channels",
  "tvrecordings"             , "TV Recordings",
  "tvguide"                  , "TV Guide",
  "tvtimers"                 , "TV Timers",
  "tvsearch"                 , "TV Search",
  "radiochannels"            , "Radio Channels",
  "radiorecordings"          , "Radio Recordings",
  "radioguide"               , "Radio Guide",
  "radiotimers "             , "Radio Timers",
  "radiosearch"              , "Radio Search",
  "videos,movies"            , "Movies",
  "videos,movietitles"       , "Movie Titles",
  "videos,tvshows "          , "TV Shows",
  "videos,tvshowtitles "     , "TV Show Titles",
  "videos,musicvideos"       , "Music Videos",
  "videos,recentlyaddedmovies"      , "Recently Added Movies",
  "videos,recentlyaddedepisodes"    , "Recently Added Episodes",
  "videos,recentlyaddedmusicvideos" , "Recently Added Music Videos"
]

_windows = [
  "global"                   , "Global",
  "fullscreenvideo"          , "Fullscreen Video",
  "fullscreenlivetv"         , "Fullscreen Live TV",
  "home"                     , "Home",
  "programs"                 , "Programs",
  "videos"                   , "Videos",
  "music"                    , "Music",
  "pictures"                 , "Pictures",
  "pvr"                      , "PVR",
  "filemanager"              , "Filemanager",
  "pvrosdteletext"           , "OSD Teletext",
  "virtualkeyboard"          , "Virtual Keyboard",
  "playercontrols"           , "Player Controls",
  "seekbar"                  , "Seek bar",
  "musicosd"                 , "Music OSD",
  "osdvideosettings"         , "Video OSD Settings",
  "osdaudiosettings"         , "Audio OSD Settings",
  "visualisation"            , "Visualisation",
  "slideshow"                , "Slideshow"
]

(2019-05-31, 05:20)MB32 Wrote: [ -> ] 
Quote:But the addon isn't kodi.
It will be.
Maybe I'm missing something here.
Are you saying the keymap editor is about to be / planned to become part of the kodi core?
If so where's that coming from?
any alternative to keymap editor ? it doesn't work with kodi 19 (edited addon.xml but doesn't work)

and i need to modify key for my remote
Pages: 1 2